Larkrail, Bath 18th July 2015

PaulRhB

Simon and all exhibitors/demonstrators,

A lovely show - where else could we have met so many of the great and the good of railway modelling at such a small venue. Excellent stuff.

Thank you all,

John

• RMweb Gold

A few more phone snaps.

Plaxtol Road 7mm 'Col Stephens' railway. Loved the lightweight spiked track in the sidings.

post-6728-0-80705000-1437290965_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-65645200-1437290993_thumb.jpg

Heybridge Wharf. Mike Corp's new delightfully presented, 3mm layout.

post-6728-0-02947700-1437291024_thumb.jpg

Valencia Harbour. A lovely rendition of a bleak and remote railway in the far southwest of Eire.

post-6728-0-47334100-1437291271_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-20522600-1437291367_thumb.jpg

Indeed, where would anybody find so many of the 'great and good' in the hobby assembled/demonstrating for one day in a small hall? Not an exhibition, more a friendly gathering in such a relaxed atmosphere. To anybody who hasn't been before, do come next year.

The wallet didn't take quite such a battering this time, although 'Branchlines' was present with a huge range of all those 'must get' parts!

• RMweb Gold

A huge thank you to all exhibitors and visitors yesterday. Lesley and I enjoyed ourselves very much and as ever I was humbled by the good humour, skill, and fellowship that was evident throughout the event.

After a day of frenetic activity we are looking forward to doing not very much at all today. Our friend Steve Cook is happily staying with us for a few days and we are going down to the shed later to see if I can't use my lathe to turn down the wheels on my G1MCo coaches.....

All the displays were of great interest and quality, but Yns Gwntog is something special and Bob Barlow was fondly remembered and recalled by many visitors over the day.

A thank you also for the comments here and to all the posters providing pictures of the event, Steve Cook kindly did the photographic honours for me and we'll endeavour to add some more pictures here later.

Simon

PS

I am storing Yns Gwntog for the few weeks before its appearance at "Railwells" and it is until then on public display in the Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent day Simon, thanks again for such an excellent event - well it would be rude to call it 'a show' (and tell Lesley that her sandwiches are just as good as he whose name need not be mentioned)

I take it that the three that agree with Mike are agreeing on the quality of the sandwiches...!

Well, I'm not surprised, I was only ever really 'The Apprentice'.

Glad everyone all had a good time and really sorry that I wasn't there to be rude to the usual suspects.

• RMweb Gold

I take it that the three that agree with Mike are agreeing on the quality of the sandwiches...!

Well, I'm not surprised, I was only ever really 'The Apprentice'.

Glad everyone all had a good time and really sorry that I wasn't there to be rude to the usual suspects.

Well I did see one of those three partaking of the catering so you might, or might not, be right - or wrong.  Anyway sorry to miss your presence but my spy from the west did give me some information about the way your day was going and I hope it wasn't all spent slaving away at a hot computer screen  (lest others get the wrong impression it was I understand a  computer screen relating to matters of the Captain's day job).

Well I don't know whether to call it a show, a gathering, a convention or a very good social event!

Perhaps all these things and more. A most excellent day out. Thank you very much Simon and all

the helpers and exhibitors.

I don't think Simon can raise the bar higher, I hope he doesn't do himself a mischief trying!

John P.

• RMweb Gold

Well I did see one of those three partaking of the catering so you might, or might not, be right - or wrong.  Anyway sorry to miss your presence but my spy from the west did give me some information about the way your day was going and I hope it wasn't all spent slaving away at a hot computer screen  (lest others get the wrong impression it was I understand a  computer screen relating to matters of the Captain's day job).

Thanks Mike, so far it all seems to be going OK.

• RMweb Gold

This was the first one I've missed for a while, due to an unavoidable scheduling clash, but glad to hear it was the usual excellent day out for all concerned, and thanks for those who took pictures.

• RMweb Premium

Well I don't know whether to call it a show, a gathering, a convention or a very good social event!

Perhaps all these things and more. A most excellent day out. Thank you very much Simon and all

the helpers and exhibitors.

I don't think Simon can raise the bar higher, I hope he doesn't do himself a mischief trying!

John P.

Agree absolutely. Worth the trip from Manchester despite Cross Country Trains seemingly carrying a higher proportion of this country's loons than the average train company.

Expect to visit again next year but perhaps not using aforesaid TOC!

David

• RMweb Gold

Next year's Larkrail will be on Saturday 16th July at the same venue.

In the meantime thank you very much to everyone for the nice comments. Steve and I are still in relax mode here in Bath, some success already with the lathe and another day of running trains in the garden today.

Back to work tomorrow, but right now breakfast is calling - it's still the weekend here!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Next year's Larkrail will be on Saturday 16th July at the same venue.

Yay!

Once again, thank you Simon et al.

If you have time to post some more photo's I would be extremely grateful, I will bring a camera next time!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic to see the photos of Ynys Gwyntog. In due course, Bob's version will join the original in the "whatever happened to..." conversations.

It would be nice to see it at ExpoNG if possible.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

A fabulous day was had by all, many thanks to Simon and his team. John Greenwood and I flew the 2mm flag and my own little layout played host to a number of illustrious, improbable as well as out of scale visitors.

post-1074-0-79113800-1437508150_thumb.jpg

John's quite beautiful, almost complete, scratch built Arthur

post-1074-0-07604100-1437508251_thumb.jpg

Three little Bodmin's (and a Pioneer) all in a row! The two 4mm locos posed on the Wharf are from Iain Rice's seminal North Cornwall Mineral railway which spent much of the day posed on the loading bank where they proved a real talking point. Roll on next year.

More pictures on my Tucking Mill thread.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Back to work today, but I'm still on a high from the weekend and last few days.

Not exactly to do with the show, but I can't resist it; here are the fruits of Steve's labours in the shed and about 6 years in the garden...

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Heyyy Martin... that's Tim Dubya's catch-phrase!  :sarcastic:

Hey way hey and a yay yay yay!

if you want a sausage, you must pay!

Not tomorrow, you pay today,

Otherwise Tim Dubya will come along and shout yay yay yay in yer ear 'ole all night!

Archived