Mystery railway object

• RMweb Premium

It looks like it spent its life immersed in tar or some other by-product of a gas works. A part of the machine used to impregnate sleepers with creosote?

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Would it have been at the bottom of a rope/chain mechanism to indicate the volume of water in a column or tank?

I.e it would have pointed to a scale of gallons.

Is it the float that sits on the top of the water in the tank ? ( I.e it's mainly hollow apart from the tail).

Edit - as Martin has just said that is too generic - so are you looking for a specific location where this item was peculiar ?

The worrying thing is that Avonside1563, who I am sitting next to at this moment, thought it was the same. He is banned.

I thought the same no doubt, but as I am no longer plodding I have a clean(er) mind, untarnished and unsullied, almost!

• RMweb Gold

To see the deflection at the centre of the Royal Albert Bridge when a chop choo is on it....?

................A sort of plumb bob lol

Ah, yes, the old chop choo

post-7025-0-59736400-1434626030.gif

• RMweb Gold

To see the deflection at the centre of the Royal Albert Bridge when a chop choo is on it....?

................A sort of plumb bob lol

The gentleman has it in one.

The artifact in question was recovered from a heap of detritus at the bottom of one of the towers, as I understand it. It had previously been an ancient plumb line to measure the deflection in the bridge in high winds. Not used for years, it had lain in this heap of rubbish until Taziker discovered it when working on the restoration of the bridge. They shot-blasted it and re-painted/polished it up, and it is now destined for a museum.

• RMweb Gold

It had previously been an ancient plumb line to measure the deflection in the bridge in high winds.

We don't seem to be much further forward. A plumb line hangs vertically. Winds blow sideways. A plumb line can be used to check verticals, but in order to measure deflection it needs a solid surface below it as reference. I suspect the River Tamar doesn't count.

I can imagine it mounted somewhere on the bridge and used as a sighting target for measuring deflections. But that wouldn't be called a plumb line.

More information and diagrams please. :)

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Presumably if it's inside the tower, with a vertical line painted behind it and a marked position to sight from, it would show any movement of the tower?

Yes. The brass collar fixing doesn't really look like an attachment for a plumb line. It's obviously an indicator of some kind, to be attached to something and show movement. It would be good to have a full explanation.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Well, we've now come up against the limitations of an operator pretending to be an engineer.

All I know is that the line was inside the structure of the bridge, and was used to measure wind deflection of the main structure. Next time I get a chance to speak to the (real) engineer that showed me, I'll ask for more information on how it was set up.

Archived