New Great Western Livery

• RMweb Gold

I think it looks fantastic. I'm also pretty sure that in the flesh it looks much better than low quality pics. The HST in my opinion suits a one simple colour livery.

I will say it now but give it a couple of years and it will be the must have model. People will be crying out for repaints!

• Like 2

That's if Hornby gets it correct..... !

First time the HST has made it to Cornwall and I missed it. Never mind.

Unless you have seen the livery with branding, keep an open mind. I didn't like it at first and neither did the rest of us on depot. Now it's complete, it looks a darn sight better regardless of conditions.

As for those of you upset about how much it costs, again I shall mention the stock needs/needed repainting as per maintenance exams anyhow.

Expect any models to sell well !

• RMweb Premium

The photos above, from bgman (sorry I don't know your first name), illustrate how unimaginative the whole "look" appears on a typical British cloudy and dull afternoon.

The green appears very cold and unwelcoming to me.

BUT I've not seen it in the flesh, so might be completely wrong................... :scratchhead:

I have to admit that it does a bit on some pictures. Could just be one of those that's very difficult to photograph well in dull conditions though. I'll still take it over something bright and garish though even if it isn't, "smart" beats "imaginative" for me.

• RMweb Premium

Went to the Epping and Ongar Railway Diesel Gala last Sunday and saw a very shiny 08 836. Did look good in the new livery though.

GWR logo on one side only.

I guess if it spends it time at Old Oak, then only one side is visible to the passing trains......................

:no:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

I am not a design house and don't feel snobbish at all. It simply was a pretty poor symbol; looked at from any distance it became a mush, and it wasn't immediately apparent to me what a heraldic-style stag's head, for example, had to do with a railway freight company. I guess EWS came to feel the same, given what little prominence they gave to it in their liveries.

Paul

Hi Paul,

To be fair, they did give it prominence on wagons built after it was designed...

TEAs:

post-420-0-17679800-1443372844_thumb.jpg (photo courtesy Tom Smith)

and HOAs on Martyn Read's site:

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/H/HOA-bogie-aggregate-hoppers#!/i-GzvC7f2/A

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit that it does a bit on some pictures. Could just be one of those that's very difficult to photograph well in dull conditions though. I'll still take it over something bright and garish though even if it isn't, "smart" beats "imaginative" for me.

I've seen the livery on a dmu against backlighting (daylight sunshine) on top of an embankment and it looked quite good, and it stood out against lineside greenery which was also in its favour.  So yes - thus far I quite like it and as I've already said it makes a nice change from the 'fairground' liveries such as Virgin's latest effort on the ECML which looks more suited to a 'bus than a train.

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

To be fair, they did give it prominence on wagons built after it was designed...

Thanks Ben. I didn't express myself clearly: they used it straight after the competition (someone else referred to the new 66s), but as time passed it seemed to shrivel away.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which one of them is this one then? They all look the same to me, and I can't read the nameplate....

attachicon.gif01_110_4001_7760 Crewe 31-05-2003..jpg

Stewart

HST is on a door,

08 is ok,

57 is high up.

But the number on this 57 is low down.....

(Aren't all panniers 57's?) :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

I have some very limited knowledge of panniers - 15xx have outside Walschaerts - there's a wheel size difference between 64xx and 74xx, 94xx have shorter tanks, like a 15xx, there's a 8750 that I think has a Collet cab - more rounded. 16xx are quite small. I think there are others, but they're still all green............

• RMweb Gold

Which one of them is this one then? They all look the same to me, and I can't read the nameplate....

attachicon.gif01_110_4001_7760 Crewe 31-05-2003..jpg

Stewart

Oh dear oh dear - not very nice to see incorrect livery details on a model, even one that big (or perhaps it's a real one, ah of course ... ... tehehe).  Any it is indeed a 57XX but it is clearly 'preserved' and it definitely has an error in the livery (hint - distinct shortage of yellow).

Oh dear oh dear - not very nice to see incorrect livery details on a model, even one that big (or perhaps it's a real one, ah of course ... ... tehehe).  Any it is indeed a 57XX but it is clearly 'preserved' and it definitely has an error in the livery (hint - distinct shortage of yellow).

I did notice the  yellow warning panels on the ends were missing.

Stewart

Blue RA disc applied instead of yellow ?

• RMweb Gold

Blue RA disc applied instead of yellow ?

Yes - of course it is very date dependent  relating to how long a particular livery lasted so it could logically be either I suppose and it also depends on when teh posiytion was changed (the usual opinion on that is 'wartime') so I treat with a little bit of care. 

• RMweb Gold

I've only just come across this thread and don't fancy trawling through 15 pages so apologies if I'm duplicating anyone else's idea,

My own thought is that the original BR livery but in traditional GWR colours would have been better. Mainly-green power cars and chocolate/cream in place of blue/grey throughout would look fabulous.  

John

• Like 1