New Great Western Livery

I have never been a great fan of the class 150 and that whole generation of BR designed trains, diesel and electric, that seemed unable to line up a seat with a window, lost lots of window space anyway accommodating sliding doors and those imaginative front ends, any style so long as it's a slab.

But, worst of all, was having one show up unexpectedly for a rather long journey.

I have sampled them over the Central Wales line and returning from Portmadog to the Midlands, in the dark (two Centro units), I lost the will to live that evening.

Those cramped uncomfortable seats, designed not to linger for commuters, and those first two hours looking at your own reflection, instead of all that wonderful scenery and realising that was two whole hours, you will never get back, that have just been spent getting precisely zero miles nearer to home.

For a while, they used to use two Centro units on a Birmingham - Skegness summer Saturday service, the look on the faces of those holidaymaker when that showed up.

Anyway, just when I thought I had said goodbye to them, I found out, the hard way, there is still one (just one) shuttling about between New St and Hereford and I found it, now that's mean.

Off topic, I must admit I never thought I'd pay to go on the farewell tour for a 150 (being old enough to remember the prototypes when brand new) but I did, and enjoyed it despite the "farewell" being rather like the fabled farewell tours of Status Quo.

Of course they were not suitable for long distances and it's sad they are still being used on services that are patently unsuitable for the design thirty years on.  Nevertheless, looking at the class objectively and against the political background in which they were introduced, I think it's fair to say they helped save a lot of Provincial services at a time when there was a serious move towards the railway becoming an intercity and south east only operation. 

Perhaps in the future they will rightly be regarded as a classic piece of traction and their historical significance recognised.

• Like 2

They're fine when used on appropriate services. I had one from prestatyn to Shrewsbury once, and though it had a reasonable interior, it's not really suited to that run. But can't fault the design for people using it wrong, it's like trying to go offroading in a Ferrari...

As a cost-effective solution for suburban services, I think the Sprinters are fine and were pretty good for the time. They were certainly miles better than the Pacers which were built just a few years earlier. I agree they are not really suitable for long-distance services but that is not really the fault of the train.

I think you can get the wrong idea about a working based on it's endpoints - Cardiff to Plymouth isn't an "Intercity" service designed to move all those people from Cardiff who desperately want to go to Plymouth - it's part of the regular Cardiff to Taunton all (well, most) stations stopping service, extended to Plymouth largely for the purposes of providing a service to Ivybridge to replace the through ATW and SWT services culled from the South West a few years back.

For most of it's journey it's bracketed by a pair of Cross Country services that provide the Intercity service between Bristol and Plymouth. You can leave Cardiff a whole 30 minutes later (on a 158 towards Portsmouth) - get a comfortable 20+ minute connection into the next Cross Country service, and arrive in Plymouth just 5 minutes after that through train...

PS - pacers and 150s are roughly concurrent in age...

So far as I can tell:

Class 142 - built 1985 to 87
Class 143 - built 1985 and 86

Class 144 - built 1986 and 87
Class 150/0 (Sprinter prototypes) - built 1984
Class 150/1 and 150/2 - built 1986 and 87

That's true, I doubt the Cardiff to Plymouth service is intended to serve people going the whole way. But in my example I was going Prestatyn to Birmingham, so I took the direct train (which was then turned round at Shrewsbury, where we waited in the cold for the late pair of 158s which were coming up from Birmingham and were turned round at Shrewsbury, so the journey didn't really work as planned).

It would have been faster via Crewe, but the lure of a direct train is strong, and people will make that choice even if it's a little slower.

Come now, do you know that there is a large market demanding direct high quality travel between Cardiff and Plymouth? If so, why is there only this one train per day?

Intercity is a brand name for a certain level of service, not a descriptor for every train that happens to call at more than one city...

• RMweb Gold

Come now, do you know that there is a large market demanding direct high quality travel between Cardiff and Plymouth? If so, why is there only this one train per day?

Intercity is a brand name for a certain level of service, not a descriptor for every train that happens to call at more than one city...

If one looks up the train times the debate pales into insignificance I think.  All trains except one from Cardiff to Plymouth involve at least one change but notwithstanding that you would have to be taking no more than a glance if you did happen to take the direct service - it leaves Cardiff at 09.00 and arrives Plymouth at 12.42 and offers no onboard refreshments.  Leaving Cardiff 30 minutes later, and changing at Bristol TM involves two trains which both offer refreshments (of a sort) and which gets you to Plymouth 5 minutes behind the train which left Cardiff 30 minutes earlier - no contest really unless something physical mitigates against  you changing trains at Bristol.

Mind you as things currently stand buying an Apex ticket for tomorrow's 09.00 will get you 54 Nectar points, wow :jester: 

For the specific example of Cardiff to Plymouth I doubt there's a lot of demand for the full trip, or a proper all day service would be provided. But speaking more generally people will choose the direct train if one is available - to the point of not catching the train at all if it would involve a change. Particularly people with no great in interest or knowledge of the railway.

So yes, a 150 is fine for a 3 1/2 hour trip if there's almost no one wanting to make that whole journey and if you're not bothered whether those few people would choose the train again afterwards...

• 4 months later...

Just for info, whilst waiting at Exeter St.Davids yesterday early evening ( 17.57 ) ROG headboarded 47848 Titan Star & 47812 came through hauling the 2nd ? rake of repainted GWR stock for their HST service in the SW heading towards Plymouth depot to add to the service.

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

I haven't seen the new livery on a HST but the DMUs seem to be increasingly common. I like the shade used, although I'm having difficulty describing it: is it a grey/green or a green/grey? The use of matt panels on the otherwise gloss finish is a nice touch.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I haven't seen the new livery on a HST but the DMUs seem to be increasingly common. I like the shade used, although I'm having difficulty describing it: is it a grey/green or a green/grey? The use of matt panels on the otherwise gloss finish is a nice touch.

Regards

Mrs Stationmaster saw one of the Class 166 sets at Reading a week or two back and remarked - without prompting - how good it looked 'real touch of class'  she said.  But I've yet to see a Class 165 set in the new livery.

Mrs Stationmaster saw one of the Class 166 sets at Reading a week or two back and remarked - without prompting - how good it looked 'real touch of class'  she said.  But I've yet to see a Class 165 set in the new livery.

I'm impressed at Mrs S's DMU identification skills!

• RMweb Premium

I have now had the misfortune to encounter loco-hauled, HST, 150 and 166 stock in this drabness of a livery.  Under most lighting conditions it appears an oddly black shade - not truly black but definitely not green.  I'm not a fan of the silver doors / detail either.

A deep green could have looked superb though fails to contrast with the predominantly green countryside of the region served.  Instead the shade is too dark and the trains merge into the shadows.  How long until someone fails to see one approaching ........ ? 

Having commented earlier from having seen only photos and video clips I can now comment from first hand experience.  It's truly awful but could have been so good.

Why two barrier wagons on the end?

Keith

The reason for the 2 barrier vehicles at the rear and one at the front is that they have also received an overhaul at Kilmarnock works as well. This has included removing the window blanks on the Mk1 BGs and smoothing over the sides and corridors. 1st Barrier and rear Barrier has been done while the Mk3s underwent their repaint and overhaul.

No class 165s carry the Green livery yet. There is one sole Class 166 remaining in Dynamic Lines, then there are the FGW Blue painted units as well. Although given 165124s little trip off the rails and quick visit to the OHLE department - I reckon that will be the first likely candidate to receive a refurbishment and repaint into the Green livery at Wolverton.

Just for info, whilst waiting at Exeter St.Davids yesterday early evening ( 17.57 ) ROG headboarded 47848 Titan Star & 47812 came through hauling the 2nd ? rake of repainted GWR stock for their HST service in the SW heading towards Plymouth depot to add to the service.

This was 5Z47 0515 Kilmarnock (Barclay Sdgs) to Laira T.& R.S.M.D. hauling refurbished First Great Western coaching stock. I managed only one decent photo of the FGW coach http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/dmu/e71f38da4 It would appear to be a difficult colour to photograph if the dark appearance of this and others on here is anything to go by.

This train had a single barrier behind the pair of locomotives and a pair of barriers at the end. I have no idea why. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/departmentalcoachprivate I only identified the lead loco, Titan Star http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class47/e7a89c7c0

A nice train following the disappointment of not seeing the Duchess - it had failed - and before Flying Scotsperson.

Paul

I see that someone has come up with a new interior design for a 150 that looks promising ,opening up and brightening it.,like the new livery even it is a reincarnation of Gods Wonderful Railway!

Certainly isn't going in 150001 - Noted on another forum is that it appears to have retained it's original Ashbourne seats, albeit re-trimmed in the new Green & Grey colours.