Mikemeg's Workbench - Building locos of the North Eastern & LNER

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, mikemeg said:

One final photo of the inside of the roundhouse shed at Hull Dairycoates. This building, up to 1955, housed six turntables within a singe building. There was also a four road straight shed and various other buildings on the same site.

Cheers

Mike

DAIRYCOATES table c1960 .jpg

And you've trumped the previous shot there too IMHO Mike, that's beautiful. Though from a compositional point of view, I can't help feeling it's a pity the left-hand side's cropped where it is, so that 61268 (I'm assuming the missing first digit would be a 6?) is incomplete. Small point though - superb photo, thank you for posting these!

• Like 1

On 04/12/2021 at 19:02, Chas Levin said:

And you've trumped the previous shot there too IMHO Mike, that's beautiful. Though from a compositional point of view, I can't help feeling it's a pity the left-hand side's cropped where it is, so that 61268 (I'm assuming the missing first digit would be a 6?) is incomplete. Small point though - superb photo, thank you for posting these!

Thanks Chas,

That's it for the shed shots, for now. Over the years I've collected quite a few of these photos showing the interior of loco sheds. For me, the most vivid memory of one of these places (and I 'visited' more than half of the loco sheds extant in 1960; some many times) would have to be my first visit (aka bunk) to Old Oak Common, on a warm sunny Sunday in the summer of 1961. My first acquaintance with Kings, Castles, Halls, Granges and representatives of most of the other ex GWR loco classes then in service.

A day like that lives in the memory for a lifetime!!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2021 at 10:48, mikemeg said:

...For me, the most vivid memory of one of these places (and I 'visited' more than half of the loco sheds extant in 1960; some many times) would have to be my first visit (aka bunk) to Old Oak Common, on a warm sunny Sunday in the summer of 1961. My first acquaintance with Kings, Castles, Halls, Granges and representatives of most of the other ex GWR loco classes then in service...

Apologies for staying off-topic a moment longer, but just to say that I drive past Old Oak Common whenever I have to visit the office and you wouldn't believe what it looks like these days - part of a massive building site for HS2...

That's why building models is such a wonderful way to avoid losing the past that successive governments trample over, which brings us neatly back - if you wish it Mike, as this is your thread after all - to modelling :)

21 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Apologies for staying off-topic a moment longer, but just to say that I drive past Old Oak Common whenever I have to visit the office and you wouldn't believe what it looks like these days - part of a massive building site for HS2...

That's why building models is such a wonderful way to avoid losing the past that successive governments trample over, which brings us neatly back - if you wish it Mike, as this is your thread after all - to modelling :)

Chas,

I seem to remember that Willesden shed (1A) was literally a stone's throw from Old Oak Common, so I 'visited' that shed on the same afternoon. I can vividly remember looking down into Willesden's shed yard from a road bridge, before descending some steps into the shed proper. Later, that week, I would visit 14A and 14B on the same afternoon and then, the following Sunday, Nine Elms, Stewarts Lane, Bricklayers Arms and Hither Green sheds.

Those Sunday shed bashes were, of course, trespassing but we very rarely saw the shed foremen so, most times, we got around the shed without being apprehended. Some sheds, because of the position of the shed foreman's office, were very difficult to 'bunk' around - Manchester Gorton, Leeds Copley Hill and Ardsley were some that repeatedly resisted our attempts to 'bunk' around them.

Needless to say, we  were never intent on doing anything but take the numbers, and more latterly some photographs, of the locos on shed but these places could be dangerous to the unwary - inspection pits and ash pits full of hot ash, oil and water everywhere and chunks of locomotive dismantled for attention as well as locomotives moving around.

Great days though and we were lucky to have lived and to have seen them.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

Yes, you're right about Willesden's proximity. There's still a very substantial site there now, the HQ of Bombardier Transportation where they build and maintain rather more modern profile vehicles. They also have some sort of more general PM/signals maintenance depot there, where they keep a few fairly vintage locos that have been cascaded to the departmental level - AL85, Class 37s, 08 diesles, that sort of thing - I used to snap pics on my way to work, pre-Covid, when I used to commute by train too.

I was born a little too late (1966) and by the time I was interested in railways, not only were kids not allowed on such sites but there wouldn't have been very much there I'd have wanted to see - I was brought up by a dad who was firmly steam based.

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER J21

After an unplanned stay in 'Much Sniffling', it's now back to the J21.

Both smokeboxes have been assembled and checked against the boiler and the front splashers. Smokebox formers and spacers are included for the longer superheated smokebox and the shorter saturated smokebox. Outer smokebox wrapper etches are included for both flush riveted and snap head rivetted smokebox wrappers for both types of smokebox i.e. four outer wrapper options. I fitted the wrappers with visible snap head rivets on both assemblies.

Probably worth mentioning that the embossed rivetted wrappers were both rolled in the boiler roller, wrapped, both sides, in three layers of paper to preserve the etched riveting when passing through the roller.

The chimney and dome are not yet fixed, so simply resting on top of the boiler, as is the  boiler which is also just resting on the footplate.

Now for the final boiler detailing.

Cheers

Mike

P1110034.JPG

P1180036.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 15

Before I prime the NER Class A / LNER F8, here's another of those 'family photos'; this one inspired - perhaps prompted rather than inspired - by one of Agatha Christie's famous mysteries (I'll leave the reader to establish which one).

So, NER classes A, B and C in various states of completion, though there is a plan and priority to this seemingly chaotic state of affairs.

Any literary, logical or physical connection between the LNER classifications, for these classes, eludes me - F8, N8, J21!!

Cheers

Mike

P1180037.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 16

To fit the boiler bands to the configuration of the later LNER designed boilers, fitted to these locos later in their lives - which boilers also had the dome fitted 1' 9" (7 mm) to the rear of the original positioning on the boilers as built - paper collars are made to act as guides when soldering on the boiler bands.

These collars are just rolled twice around the boiler, pulled tight, and then stuck at the very end, one layer to another but not to the boiler wrapper itself. The collars are disposable as they can be discarded once the boiler band is fitted.

Cheers

Mike

P1190038.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, mikemeg said:

To fit the boiler bands to the configuration of the later LNER designed boilers, fitted to these locos later in their lives - which boilers also had the dome fitted 1' 9" (7 mm) to the rear of the original positioning on the boilers as built - paper collars are made to act as guides when soldering on the boiler bands.

These collars are just rolled twice around the boiler, pulled tight, and then stuck at the very end, one layer to another but not to the boiler wrapper itself. The collars are disposable as they can be discarded once the boiler band is fitted.

Cheers

Mike

P1190038.JPG

Ha - wish I'd thought of that trick on my recent build, where one of the bands is not as straight as it should be and it wasn't very obvious until I began lining them!

Good to know for the future though, thanks for showing this Mike.

On 15/12/2021 at 17:52, Chas Levin said:

Ha - wish I'd thought of that trick on my recent build, where one of the bands is not as straight as it should be and it wasn't very obvious until I began lining them!

Good to know for the future though, thanks for showing this Mike.

Chas,

A while ago I had exactly the same issue with boiler bands - how to keep them straight. The boiler wrapper can be marked up, in the flat, with witness marks but while these will show any deviation from straight, they don't necessarily help with achieving that straightness. So the idea occurred, a while ago, to use paper collars as a guide. Two layers, tightly wound and then the two layers glued at the end, provide enough rigidity to guide the fitting of the band and they are easily removed leaving no trace.

Mind you they don't much like being 'dowsed' in flux and they don't react well, for very long, to a very hot soldering iron!!

Cheers

Mike

P1200039.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The first of the cab splashers has now been assembled, from its three pieces, and then fitted. This assembly also provides the cab shelf situated under the cab side windows. All that's missing is a white metal or brass casting of the billy can full of tea.

Cheers

Mike

P1220040.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 15

At this point, time to check that the motor and gearbox will actually fit into the loco body. I opted to drive this model on the rear set of driving wheels, using a Mashima 1020 motor with a High Level Roadrunner Compact Plus gearbox. OK I know that Mashima motors are no longer available but the photo might offer some help in selecting and then locating suitable gearbox/motor combinations.

The advantage of the Roadrunner Compact Plus is  that, with its articulated section, it will fit under the cab floor  allowing the motor to stand inside the firebox.

The chassis used in this photograph, is one built for a previous test build of this kit (in fact two previous test builds were done). However, as part of this current test build a third chassis will be built from the latest etches.

Anyway, I've included a photo of the second test build (the first test build was a saturated version), which did have a couple of issues which have been rectified on the latest etches. This build does incorporate some scratch building with the pipework and the LNER whistle operating mechanism but at least the photo gives some impression of what this latest test build is aiming for!

Finally, can I wish the readers of this thread the very best of season's greetings for Christmas.

Cheers

Mike

P1240041.JPG

P1140031.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 9

Merry Xmas !!

My old Nucast J21 rebuilt detailed and finished . This has had a 52F chassis shoehorned into the body and finally got it working as well. It is pulling a Geo Norton etched Tender , fitted with a much better designed 52F chassis than the Loco one.  It has a High Level 1020 motor fitted very powerful, it appears to be just as good as the Mashima for under £10 as well. Sadly due to the design of the chassis the only option is horizontal motor set up. The front of the Gearbox shows for a couple of mm in front of the Firebox, luckily the Reversing and Sand Rods hide most of it out of view.

159A1E59-74C6-4CA8-8B03-2D135EDE4570_1_201_a.jpeg.001ef4a1b1b58fd3fcde063082163677.jpeg

F39B9AAD-CD1F-4EB6-80C1-9EF263E0B792_1_201_a.jpeg.97db853a668ff2942c8fc7c95462c1f3.jpeg

• Like 9

Many thanks Mick; you've done a great job on that.

So for completeness, here's the photo of the first test build of the J21. This one built as a saturated loco, still sporting its Westinghouse pump though fitted for vacuum braking.

Since these photos were taken, new tenders have been built for both of these models, both with only two coal rails. 

Cheers

Mike

P1240042.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, micklner said:

My old Nucast J21 rebuilt detailed and finished .

Lovely work Mick. High Level motors are really good, have you tried the coreless motors? Bit more expensive but bags of torque.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mikemeg said:

So for completeness, here's the photo of the first test build of the J21.

And lovely work Mike, I am an SR modeller but a great fan of the NER and LNER as well. J21 is a well proportioned loco.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Lovely work Mick. High Level motors are really good, have you tried the coreless motors? Bit more expensive but bags of torque.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Richard

Not so far, at the moment I think my recent models have enough pulling  power for Tank and small 0-6-0's types . Plus the High level ones are too big at minimum length of 19mm long . I hope to build a B16 next year, perhaps one then !!

cheers

Mick

• Like 1

On 20/12/2021 at 16:05, micklner said:

I hope to build a B16 next year, perhaps one then !!

cheers

Mick

Mick,

Re your intention to build a B16, will this be a B16/1 and, if so, which kit might you use?

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/12/2021 at 16:05, micklner said:

I hope to build a B16 next year, perhaps one then !!

Hi Mick,

I have a B16/1 DJH kit that I bought at the Darlington Model Railway Club Exhibition earlier this year. I plan to build it next year. Looks to be a sound kit.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, mikemeg said:

Mick

Re your intention to build a B16, will this be a B16/1 and, if so, which kit might you use?

Regards

Mike

Mike & Richard 

A Million dollar question , there only two choices LRM or DJH .

Only really one choice LRM unless there is another alternative kit other than DJH ?  .

I have built a few DJH kits, and I dont think I would ever go there again. Poor quality castings , and thick battleship thickness brass chassis's, on the older ones .

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

I think PDK also do a B16/1 and B16/2. (I’m tempted by their B16/2)

Having said that, I also have an LRM kit in the kit stash ( having seen the build on this thread). It looks like a good kit.

Jon

The B16/2 from PDK can have its valve gear greatly improved by the use of Mike Edges etch, which is well worth getting. Didn't the DJH version have the wrong coupled wheelbase (I have a vague memory of a comment) 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

The B16/2 from PDK can have its valve gear greatly improved by the use of Mike Edges etch, which is well worth getting. Didn't the DJH version have the wrong coupled wheelbase (I have a vague memory of a comment) 

Not coupled, but total wheelbases for both engine and tender. 

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, micklner said:

I have built a few DJH kits, and I dont think I would ever go there again. Poor quality castings , and thick battleship thickness brass chassis's, on the older ones .

Hi Mick et al,

I agree that some DJH kits can be difficult and to make them "presentable" a fair amount of fettling and brass additions need to be added to the build. I have been very happy with my A2/3 kit result, however like my Proscale V2 build, these kits were designed a long time ago and have been surpassed by later kit standards. I have also built a London Road Models K2/2 in Scottish Region cab version. This is a superb kit of great quality but needs a lot of work to complete.

Meanwhile, my DJH Urie S15 needs completion with lots of additions I admit.

Brake gear needs some adjustment!

1637432841_IMG_6988(2).JPG.b848849b0e4940c503fb3b4af16eb928.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1