Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

The station prior to Higham Ferrers was Rushden.. Plan and pics  of both stations in the Middleton press book Bedford to Peterborough. (Midland Main Lines). Rushden had reasonably sized goods yard, private siding and is a through station. Station buildings still exist as part of the Rushden Transport Museum & Railway.  A short stretch of line is still in use. http://rhts.co.uk/visitor-information/the-rushden-higham-and-wellingborough-railway/

Also might be worth looking at are Wellingborough London Road and Irthlingborough on the LNWR line between Northampton and Peterborough (both closed in 1969). Both had ironstone workings close by and Wellingborough had coal traffic from the Welsh coalfields to Corby steel works via the loop to the Midland railway just north of the station. Close to Wellingborough London Road were a Tannery and Flour Mill. The latter was rail served from the goods yard using a wagon turn table. The flour mill is still in use by Whitworths today. The rest of the site has been obliterated by the A45 Dual carriageway. 1925 map shows three wagon turntables in use. Both locations are documented in the new Middleton Press book Northampton to Peterborough as part of the Country Railway Routes Series.

Keith

Morning Andy. I'd have been surprised if it hadn't sold to be honest. Looking forward to the journey on the next one

I would have been interested if I had any money in the bank, it is certainly a very nice layout indeed!

Well done on selling it so quickly, but then with the quality of it, it wasnt going to take long.

The station prior to Higham Ferrers was Rushden.. Plan and pics  of both stations in the Middleton press book Bedford to Peterborough. (Midland Main Lines). Rushden had reasonably sized goods yard, private siding and is a through station. Station buildings still exist as part of the Rushden Transport Museum & Railway.  A short stretch of line is still in use. http://rhts.co.uk/visitor-information/the-rushden-higham-and-wellingborough-railway/

Also might be worth looking at are Wellingborough London Road and Irthlingborough on the LNWR line between Northampton and Peterborough (both closed in 1969). Both had ironstone workings close by and Wellingborough had coal traffic from the Welsh coalfields to Corby steel works via the loop to the Midland railway just north of the station. Close to Wellingborough London Road were a Tannery and Flour Mill. The latter was rail served from the goods yard using a wagon turn table. The flour mill is still in use by Whitworths today. The rest of the site has been obliterated by the A45 Dual carriageway. 1925 map shows three wagon turntables in use. Both locations are documented in the new Middleton Press book Northampton to Peterborough as part of the Country Railway Routes Series.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I'll have a look at the Track plans, but bear in mind I have mainly Western Region Diesels, Westerns, Warships, 22's and Hymeks etc. A lot of the Steam stuff is Midland / S & D 7F's, 4F's etc so I will need to be mainly the West side of Oxford I would have thought.

Thanks anyway and kind of you to look at the info for me.

Cheers.

PENCARNE..............SOLD.

Sad to hear it. I've enjoyed watching it progress as well as the regular photo shoots! Reminds me of why I need to get on and finish one of my layouts. And get suitable rolling stock.

But glad that you'll now have space to move onto the next project, and can't wait to see how that plays out!

All the best,

Peter

Thanks again to all the above, you guys are bringing tears to my eyes as I take the last sets of Photos today. This morning has been very pleasant indeed, just a quiet bit of running, then stopped for a coffee, walked the Dog, and then some nice pics that I'll publish later.

Time to check the insides of the eye lids after a Full English for Lunch, then back outside a bit later for some more running and pics for you all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Keith, I'll have a look at the Track plans, but bear in mind I have mainly Western Region Diesels, Westerns, Warships, 22's and Hymeks etc. A lot of the Steam stuff is Midland / S & D 7F's, 4F's etc so I will need to be mainly the West side of Oxford I would have thought.

Thanks anyway and kind of you to look at the info for me.

Cheers.

The S&D 7Fs are a bit difficult. But the rest suggests somewhere between Bristol and Birmingham. Quite a number of suitable stations that can be adapted.