RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

Win 10 seems to loose the start button to often, and it needs a restore to when it functioned to do it simply, it seems some files get corrupted to easily. I have two Pc's and both had the issue. If the button fails to respond then right click will bring enough control to cure things.

But this is the only down side, it it fast in loading and shutting down and seems stable in operation, one or two seizures running old legacy software, instant control was gained unlike Win 7 and XP.

My machines are plain, very basic but fast, ex business, with all the ram they can take, plus a large drive, no graphics card, just built in Dell. No games, but 200 meg Virgin cable, so upgrades are less of a problem. They run CAD and CNC and advanced graphic programs happily. Generally Win 10 is simpler to run, faster, and seems stable. I never used Win 7 much, jumping to buying machines with 7 running, so got the free upgrades. I still have XP running on a third machine in the workshop, now devoted to CNC milling.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

Win 10 seems to loose the start button to often, and it needs a restore to when it functioned to do it simply, it seems some files get corrupted to easily. I have two Pc's and both had the issue. If the button fails to respond then right click will bring enough control to cure things.

Stephen.

Have you got it set for fast boot?

I was getting that occasionally as well as "windows was not shut down properly" when doing a "perfmon /rel" check.

I have a SSD and turning off fast boot cured both without any sacrifice in speed.

All the other "cures" on the Windows forums failed miserably!

(The lost start button also re-appeared if you needed to do a re-start for any reason)

Keith

Have you got it set for fast boot?

I think if M$ manage to get past my preventative measures, a fast boot may well be the result, but I'm concerned about the cost of replacing the double glazing unit the computer may fly through :jester:.

• Like 1

Hi Keith, same as you, 1522, build 10586.318.

Hi Cravensdmufan, I wish mine had repaired, would have saved me a few hours today.

I'm in in safe mode, and managed to backup my documents (my other backup was a week old), so now I'm going to restart in safemode with Internet and have a go at updating any driver that's slipped past me. If that doesn't work, then maybe go back to a previous build... Living life on the edge.

JCL. Living life on the edge is right!  I better get into the habit of backing up everything to external drive every night before shutting down, in case she doesn't fire up again in the morning.

Never had any trouble like this before!  No point going back to 7 now I guess.  Things can only get better?! :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Nope, no going back. Hopefully the couple of devices that have been causing the most problems - networking and the free fall software that detects if your laptop is falling and metaphorically puts its hands over its eyes will be fixed now I've given up and will start the windows refresh/reset program.

One thing, with computers nowadays there are options for automatic backups which you might want to look at.

While I can think of better things to do with my day, it'll give me a chance to spring clean.

Here goes nothing. :-/

Edited by JCL

A couple of week's ago I upgraded my trusty ThinkPad to Windows 10.  I have been putting this off as personally I do not like the look of Windows 10 (too flat) compared to Windows 7.  However, Microsoft’s free upgrade is coming to an end in July (if memory serves) and Windows 10 is the future if you want to use Windows.

My ThinkPad is about 3.5 years old and has a CORE i3 processor with 8GB RAM plus a high speed 256GB SSD.  The upgrade took about 1.5 hours and applied without any errors (full points to Microsoft).  The only things I had to do post installation were:

1.  Installed the English UK language pack - for some strange reason it upgraded as English US.

2.  Turn off all the bloomin’ telemetry options that Microsoft have added to Windows 10.

3.  Install SpyBot Anti-Beacon (https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/) - this allows you to turn off even more telemetry options that Microsoft do not give you official options for.

4.  Install a copy of the “old” Windows Calculator (http://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/) as the new Modern App one in Windows 10 is disgusting.

There is a really good video made by an ex-Microsoft Developers (Barnacules) that covers the above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw.

There were a few other personal UI tweaks that I like but apart from that it is stock Windows 10.  Although it pains me to say this, Windows 10 works very well even on my “old” ThinkPad.  It is fast (certainly as quick as Windows 7), compatible and stable.  There are some rough edges where Microsoft have not got around to modernising all the options but it is streets ahead of Windows 8 and 8.1.  Also, Microsoft will be releasing an anniversary update this summer which offers a number of new options and finessed UX.

So I am a converted sceptic.

Paddy
Edited by Paddy

• RMweb Premium

3.  Install SpyBot Anti-Beacon (https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/) - this allows you to turn off even more telemetry options that Microsoft do not give you official options for.

Paddy

That's a useful tool, I hadn't heard of it before.

Just installed it to get rid of any telemetry I hadn't done.

Cheers

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Another big update now out, taking it to 10586.420

This update is KB3163018, accompanied by KB3149135, and MS say it addresses the following (Computer and Phone):-

• Fixed issue with balloon tip notifications always appearing in the upper left side of the screen.
  • Fixed issue that caused VPN to not work properly when switching between different network interfaces (for example, switching between Wi-Fi and cellular).
  • Improved Narrator’s ability to read bulleted lists, hyperlinks, and image information.
  • Fixed issue in location that caused navigation apps to lag behind user’s actual location.
  • Improved performance of loading webpages in Internet Explorer 11 when roaming user profiles are used.
  • Fixed issue that caused phones to stop ringing from an incoming call, if interrupted by an SMS.
  • Fixed issue that caused some phones to be unable to re-add a primary Microsoft account without resetting after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1.
  • Fixed additional issues with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Bluetooth, Cortana, Wi-Fi, Windows Camera app, revised daylight saving time, USB, TPM, Graphics, Group Policy, downloading music or movies purchased through the Windows Store, Network Diagnostics and Windows Explorer.
  • Fixed security issues with Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Server Message Block (SMB) Server, Microsoft Graphics Component, Group Policy, DNS Server, Windows Diagnostic Hub, Kernel mode drivers, Microsoft Windows PDF, Windows Structured Query, Adobe Flash Player, JScript and VBScript, and Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol (WPAD).

A printing problem sorted.

I had to do some homework this weekend that involved using Word to print some lines with a precise length. Now my wife had been complaining for weeks now that Word was not printing her home made greetings cards precisely but this weekend it was my turn to be annoyed.  Lines precisely drawn 10cm long would print out 9.5cm from Word (and from Acrobat).

Now I am aware that in Word Advanced Properties there is a box under the printing heading about 'Fitting to A4 ....paper' - this has to be left unchecked.  Similarly within Adobe there is a need at the printing stage to uncheck / check the box to remove 'scaling'.  All these were correct and still the printer output was too small.

Now when we upgraded to Windows 10 I had noticed that our Samsung 1630 had been redesignated Samsung 1630 Class Printer.  I deleted the Printer from the 'Devices and Printer' and reinstalled using the  Vista / Win7 installation disc.  The printer was now redesignated Samsung 1630 and magically it would now print the correct length line.

I wonder how many other people realise that their printer output has been modified?

Our Samsung is wireless / networked.  We have a Epson Stylus hooked up permanently to one machine and that works perfectly.

Hope somebody else finds this useful.

Regards

Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's been working on a fresh build laptop since xmas, so I have now got a new larger SSD for my main PC, copied the image from my old SSD and am about to attempt an upgrade. Wish me luck, this may be my last posting on here....

• RMweb Premium

An interesting fact about the next major update to W10 coming this summer is a Linux Bash implementation courtesy of a joint MS/Canonical project.

Mac compatibility next? :scratchhead:

Keith

Hi All                       They said Windows 10 was easy?? I wish that I had stayed with 8, never mind the critics. I had all my photos within easy reach, and I have been assured that the photos are still there, but, for the life of me I cannot find them. with Windows 8 I could attach a document or photo to an email, it was a piece of cake, and send it half way around the World.                all the best  Kevin

Hi All                       They said Windows 10 was easy?? I wish that I had stayed with 8, never mind the critics. I had all my photos within easy reach, and I have been assured that the photos are still there, but, for the life of me I cannot find them. with Windows 8 I could attach a document or photo to an email, it was a piece of cake, and send it half way around the World.                all the best  Kevin

Should be found in >This PC>Pictures using Explorer. 

Had absolutely no problems getting rid of W8; fundamentally I now the laptop far more than the Android tablet which was not the case with W8

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this has been mentioned before in all these pages?

A couple of weeks back in the Ann Widdecombe column in Sunday Mail (stay with me folks even if you dislike either/both) she mentioned that she'd been told about a prog called Never 10.   It doesn't delete those rather nasty KB numbers but does seem to stop them having any effect I believe.

I tried it on SWMBO's laptop as a temp measure until I can find time for the big fix.  The prog GWX.exe had finegeled itself onto ther machine and using the Never 10 option seems to hold it at bay.

fwiw, for a number of years I've used an add-on 'winpatrol' which does a number of things and can give information about odd files that time to time appears on your system. A few months back I had a pseudo ransom-ware attack on an android tablet which got me a bit worried about the rest of my pc's and I found the winpatrol guys had some anti ransom-ware software. At the moment, all their software is a one off payment, but soon, like many, they will be going to a subscription service for the anti ransom0ware stuff, but they will honour existing one offs updates. I've no connection with the company, other than being happy with their software, but I'm mentioning it because at the moment you can still get the anti ransom-ware software for a one off, payment.  their home page is here https://www.winpatrol.com/ - you'll have to poke around to find the bits you want, if you want.

fwiw, for a number of years I've used an add-on 'winpatrol' which does a number of things and can give information about odd files that time to time appears on your system. A few months back I had a pseudo ransom-ware attack on an android tablet which got me a bit worried about the rest of my pc's and I found the winpatrol guys had some anti ransom-ware software. At the moment, all their software is a one off payment, but soon, like many, they will be going to a subscription service for the anti ransom0ware stuff, but they will honour existing one offs updates. I've no connection with the company, other than being happy with their software, but I'm mentioning it because at the moment you can still get the anti ransom-ware software for a one off, payment.  their home page is here https://www.winpatrol.com/ - you'll have to poke around to find the bits you want, if you want.

Wonder who makes more money, the ransome-ware people or the anti-ransome-ware people? Also is it the Anti-ransome-ware people that have the ransome-ware peoples code to study, or the other way round?

*send me £1 +P&P and I'll send you a card which says "Your computer is now immune from all ransome-ware". It will be just as effective.

*Disclaimer: THIS BIT IS A JOKE, the rest isn't.

Many years back, there was some antivirus software, (Dr Solomon). I met the guy at a Bristol BCS meeting, where he gave a talk. He employed 'hackers' al over the world (Russia in particular) to write virii, and send them to him to write the anti-virus software. The philosophy was to tap in to the current virus 'technology', and get a solution, before similar ones were released into the wild. If iirc, he sold out a few years later to Symantec? and they of course wrecked it, the same as most stuff they buy.