RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Phones and tablets already use the tech, I understand the new generation pc won't have a vertical screen, but more at an angle, time will tell, they might be foldable once the teething problems are sorted.

It's been tried and didn't go down well in mainstream computing, so as others have said, keyboards are likely here to stay for a while.

MS has tried a touch screen Windows PC, that's where the reasoning for Win 8 came from but it flew as well as a lead balloon.

• Agree 3

I've had a little Acer tablet for a couple of years- 7nch screen running windows 10. Apart from the small areas to select with big fingers, the touch screen works well, but wouldn't want it for much typing, but folk have used phones for sending text. Of course, voice recognition is pretty good these days. I'm using a keyboard less and less, not like in the old cpm days when drag and drop wasn't used. For most folk, I think they do not really need a keyboard for what they do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I use a keyboard a lot when I am using Photoshop, the keyboard shortcuts are very useful.

I also type a lot when I am captioning, writing longish e mails/letters and talks.

I would hate to try to do it all on a touch screen

David

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Just try touch typing on a touch screen (or a touch keyboard). Utterly impossible (currently, and I'm not aware of any coming advancements that will change that). MS seem to forget, all too often, that quite a few people use computers for work where speed and accuracy matter.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

For anyone who's interested, the next update to Windows 10 - version 1903 - is now starting to be rolled out. I understand this will be done differently to previous major changes, namely this time you will be told that it's available and you can choose whether or not to upgrade. You can defer for as long as you wish, but not beyond the point when your current Windows 10 version becomes unsupported. 

Using the Release Preview option, the 3 PCs in our household have been on 1903 for just over a month now and there's not been a sniff of a problem. All very reliable.

If you don't want to wait, you can run the update at a time of your choosing - go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

• Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, RFS said:

For anyone who's interested, the next update to Windows 10 - version 1903 - is now starting to be rolled out. I understand this will be done differently to previous major changes, namely this time you will be told that it's available and you can choose whether or not to upgrade. You can defer for as long as you wish, but not beyond the point when your current Windows 10 version becomes unsupported. 

Using the Release Preview option, the 3 PCs in our household have been on 1903 for just over a month now and there's not been a sniff of a problem. All very reliable.

If you don't want to wait, you can run the update at a time of your choosing - go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

These update options are welcome. I've usually held off an upgrade(not normal updates) until a time that suited me and some time after the initial release so that any problems may well have been dealt with.  I will carry on with this policy. The extended period is welcome, whilst always keeping an eye on the end of support date for each version.

Colin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Just had an update.

Beware it messed up the keyboard functions and settings to an American one. Such things as the @ and " not working properly.

I had to go into the Settings and download the English language version. Total PITA.

Jason

Is this update KB 4497934 for ver 1809?
If so it hasn't affected any of my three PCs that have had it

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is always the problem with Windows, that there are so many variables as regards computers running it that odd quirks like that occur.

As i said I have had three PCs in the household on ver 1809 with disparate specifications that have all done that update without drama.

As an aside and not directly pertaining to Windows directly I had an old AMD quad core Athlon based PC which started with Win XP, was upgraded to Win 7 and then Win 10, all without problems.

On the PC I was running Lotus Smartsuite Millenium edition and it worked on all three versions of Windows.

The computer eventually failed with a  motherboard problem so I replaced it with a new build PC

The new one had an AMD quad core Ryzen 3 processor and no way could not get it to run Smartsuite even after following advice on several forums.

The PC was wrecked when it got flooded so I replaced it with another one running an AMD Ryzen 5 processor, Smartsuite runs just fine on that one.

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, tigerburnie said:

Under "settings" ease of access page, I have the option to turn an onscreen keyboard on or off, not tried it to see if it does anything though

edit that the on screen keyboard does work

• Like 1

On 21/05/2019 at 16:40, Enterprisingwestern said:

...ie, how "simple" will transferring all my guff onto the new machine be and how similar to what I am used to will the new OS be?

On 21/05/2019 at 17:01, melmerby said:

Don't underestimated how much memory you have used, especially if there are any pictures or video!

I've recently had to transfer a load of stuff from an old Vista PC to a new Win10 laptop and bought a USB stick. I guesstimated that a 16GB would be ample, but thought I'd buy a 32GB to be sure. At the shop, a 64GB USB stick was only a couple of quid more so that's what I bought. I ended up transferring 50+GB. Gulp. Doesn't all the hard drive cr*p build up...? I blame all those heritage DMU videos...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My laptop Just had the 1903 update, apart from taking a bit longer than usual (unusually 60mins or so start to finish) everything seems to be in order.

Edit

build 18362.175

Edit 2

Just had a Flash update & a Net Framework update for 1903!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought a reconditioned laptop with Win 10 installed back in January but have only got round to using that thing. I decided to allow it to update itself to 1903 through 1803.

It seems OK so far...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Strangely the other three PCs in the household have not yet found 1903, although they have installed 1809 update KB4503327 twice and it shows as such in the update list!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Strangely the other three PCs in the household have not yet found 1903, although they have installed 1809 update KB4503327 twice and it shows as such in the update list!

Mine found it after a forced check for updates

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, melmerby said:

There is already a problem with this update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4500988/windows-update-hold-for-windows-10

Two of my PCs come into that category so no update for now.

If you encounter this problem then it's easy to resolve.  Just remove any external USB device, SD memory card or UFS card and tell the update to continue. The patch level .145 includes the fix for this and I've no idea why MS have not integrated that into the update package to prevent countless people experiencing the issue.

This happened with my Railway PC so it was just a question of unplugging the TC USB-Stick and plugging back in again afterwards. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, RFS said:

If you encounter this problem then it's easy to resolve.  Just remove any external USB device, SD memory card or UFS card and tell the update to continue. The patch level .145 includes the fix for this and I've no idea why MS have not integrated that into the update package to prevent countless people experiencing the issue.

This happened with my Railway PC so it was just a question of unplugging the TC USB-Stick and plugging back in again afterwards. 

It's not quite as easy as that, I tried removing the external USB devices.

The internal card reader allocates drive numbers to the card slots, so I assume that is the problem.

Both my desktops have USB card readers installed, (both have the wifi dongle in the USB socket for keyboard/mouse as well)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Hmmm, none of this is helping in my enforced selection or filling me with confidence, maybe I'll stick to pencil and paper!

Mike.

Yes, it's a bit of a silly from MS

However the one PC that has updated is working fine, all files seem to be in the right places and none of my personalisation seems to have been altered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1