Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

My problem is , I have to get them off the train set and pluck up the courage, to Paint them in battered BR green as I remember them!!!

I find it sad that those of us who 'Have a Thing' about these early diesels were too young to influence preserving them!

Never mind, at least we have the excellent models.

Too young!!! 

I'm sixty, every thing is relative!!!

Pot of tea and back to playing trains.

C.

• Like 1

The powerdrive in these things is turbine smooth!

They will take ten Hornby Pullmans up my incline, which is necessarily steep.

I'm closely studying the exploded diagram before I dismantle them to paint. In the mean time, I'm finding the differences between '201 and '202 in the sixties. The little details that a little boy misses by just being overawed by the size of the beasts!

I now have to decide wether to create a warchest for '203!!!

Back to work tomorrow,

!!!!

The powerdrive in these things is turbine smooth!

They will take ten Hornby Pullmans up my incline, which is necessarily steep.

I'm closely studying the exploded diagram before I dismantle them to paint. In the mean time, I'm finding the differences between '201 and '202 in the sixties. The little details that a little boy misses by just being overawed by the size of the beasts!

I now have to decide wether to create a warchest for '203!!!

Back to work tomorrow,

######!!!!

It sounds mouthwatering! I think the warchest is called for.

Reminds me very much of my Ajin FiaTrains 10000.I can give it no better recommendation than that.

Finally, another person who got a brass LMS Twin!!!

The track on my trainset has been built around my 10001! She is a first series loco and extremely scale. I had to mod her slightly or she has modded herself to fit my layout I'm not sure which!

She is one loco which never leaves the layout!

I have a feeling the Bulleid locos will do the same!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally, another person who got a brass LMS Twin!!!

The track on my trainset has been built around my 10001! She is a first series loco and extremely scale. I had to mod her slightly or she has modded herself to fit my layout I'm not sure which!

She is one loco which never leaves the layout!

I have a feeling the Bulleid locos will do the same!!

Excellent....a person of quality.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i picked mine up from Warley yesterday and had a chance to play today. its a lovely loco and runs so smooth. its having problems on back to back points that I need to investigate.

there is one thing though that has me stumped and it may turn out to be a fault. the cab light in one direction will not stay on when pressing function 2, it comes on then goes off, if I keep function 2 pressed it stays on. tried a few other 21 pin chips but does the same.

anyone tried this yet?

i picked mine up from Warley yesterday and had a chance to play today. its a lovely loco and runs so smooth. its having problems on back to back points that I need to investigate.

there is one thing though that has me stumped and it may turn out to be a fault. the cab light in one direction will not stay on when pressing function 2, it comes on then goes off, if I keep function 2 pressed it stays on. tried a few other 21 pin chips but does the same.

anyone tried this yet?

I have encountered this problem, are you using a Gaugemaster or US controller? I seem to remember that 2 is used for horns in the US  so is a trigger rather than a switch so just sends a pulse. I am sure if you ask on the DCC section of the forum, people may be able to confirm, or disprove this.

If this is the case, then changing the lights to a different pin may be the solution.

Good to see people are enjoying the model>

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

spent a good hour with the loco tonight and I have to say i'm not 100% happy with it. i'm experiences a couple of problems.

1: the wheels on front axle are derailing (either direction) on bends, I think they are 3rd but could be 2nd (all Hornby track)

2: it won't go over any of my points if they are not pointing straight (all Hornby), I can't swap loops, go into siding etc.

I have Q1, class 700, s15, backmann class 37 chassis, battle of Britain, a couple of Hornby EMU's, these are behave perfectly so its something to do with the bullied.

is anyone else having these issues?

• RMweb Gold

spent a good hour with the loco tonight and I have to say i'm not 100% happy with it. i'm experiences a couple of problems.

1: the wheels on front axle are derailing (either direction) on bends, I think they are 3rd but could be 2nd (all Hornby track)

2: it won't go over any of my points if they are not pointing straight (all Hornby), I can't swap loops, go into siding etc.

I have Q1, class 700, s15, backmann class 37 chassis, battle of Britain, a couple of Hornby EMU's, these are behave perfectly so its something to do with the bullied.

is anyone else having these issues?

Have you checked the back-to-back measurements on the pony wheels?

A b-t-b gauge is the first thing to grab when any loco misbehaves this way.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

2: it won't go over any of my points if they are not pointing straight (all Hornby), I can't swap loops, go into siding etc....

Suggestion: read through the accompanying literature to see if there is advice on this matter, if not or if it is insufficient contact Kernow for advice as your next action. They both need to know, and should be able to advise. (With owners only recently having got their models there has been little time to build up knowledge among those owners.)

And there my friend is your problem... Hornby track. 

Say no more.

• RMweb Gold

Min radius is 2nd, looking at the bogies they are very long and there is not allot of travel with them, particularly the front axles wheels. I will call kernel today and see what they say.

I know Hornby has a bad rep when it comes to Track work but there is allot of it out there and locos should be able to go over it, all my others do.

Thanks

Min radius is 2nd, looking at the bogies they are very long and there is not allot of travel with them, particularly the front axles wheels. I will call kernel today and see what they say.

I know Hornby has a bad rep when it comes to Track work but there is allot of it out there and locos should be able to go over it, all my others do.

Thanks

Not  quite  nescessarily,   it  is  worth  calling  Kernow  who  are  very  helpful  and  ask  their opinion,  whilst  the  loco may be  capable  of  traversing R2   plain curved  track,  an  R2 point  may cause problems   with  some   locos. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

But this model is very different from most others.The wheel arrangement for starters.I believe the wheelsets are possibly for finer tolerances than most others and will be unforgiving of track and pointwork imperfections that .....sorry.....don't suit.I also query whether it will negotiate 2nd radius.smoothly

To date ,I have run mine without track/pointwork difficulties of any kind.Mine is entirely Peco Code 100.My minimum radius is 36". Don't compare this particular model with any others in your fleet. In any case a layout is bound to suit some models better than others.To date you've probably been lucky.

• Like 1

Thanks

At the end of the day you are trying to run what might be categorized as a model aimed closer to the finescale/precision engineered end of the market on what is essentially train set track designed half a century ago when trains were but toys and no more.  There's a saying... something about a "silk purse" and a "sow's ear"... 

Go treat yourself to some decent track, my friend  :yes:

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Gold

I have spoken to Kernow who said send it back as it maybe a back to back issue. Very helpful person on the phone.

Take your point about track but if it’s designed for “better fine scale track” then it should be stated. Replacing my track is a non starter as it’s all ballasted, would cost a fortune and mean ripping my layout up.

• Like 1

Has anyone been sent one of these yet, as opposed to picking one up at Warley?

Yes - I had to delay delivery until Monday 27th from Saturday but got 2 of plus 2 sets gatestock all in the same parcel on Monday so assume Kernow are applying common sense to order packaging and rolling up orders together.

I can only echo the comments on their smoothness and quiet running out of the box  and mine have not yet been run in  - they give every impression of being a quality product; congratulations to Kernow.

So, present owners of this very handsome model, does the mechanism layout look like any of the existing schemes we see in OO models from Bach, Dapol, Heljan, Hornby; or is it yet another variant? Handsome model though it is, this one I have to enjoy vicariously, as it just don't go in my modelling scenario...

....I know Hornby has a bad rep when it comes to Track work but there is a lot of it out there and locos should be able to go over it, all my others do...

I have had independent opinions from a couple of long established retailers, that its circa 80% of their customers with layouts, use set track wholly or in part.

For all that, the OO market is coming up to something of a 'crunch' here. The demand for ever closer to prototype models, combined with the features of the UK's railway locomotives, often make it difficult for designers to produce an accurate model that will work reliably on a set track system of design origin dating to the 1950s, and little development in the UK since. (Triang-Hornby bought in their set track design from Roco in the early 1960s: compare to HO manufacturer's set track ranges to get an idea of just how far behind the curve UK set track lags.)