The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

The problem with those 4x4 drivers is that like many people they forget that although they have grip to accelerate and get around corners, they still don't have the grip to react and stop quickly if needed.  It's the same as with the double decker bus a few posts back.  When I drive [a bus] in snow, my braking distance isn't much greater than it would be on a dry road at the same speed, because normally I'd be braking smoothly and gently anyway.  The difference is that if something untoward happens when you're driving quickly, your braking distance becomes much longer than normal no matter what tyres or how many driven wheels you have...

• RMweb Premium

Not ALL those 4X4 driver's,

with 1.5 tons of old landrover with nothing modern like ABS, I always allow a good breaking distance whether in the snow or not. Especially if I'm carrying nearly another ton of building materials.

The biggest problem I have is BMW, Audi, hot hatches overtaking and taking my braking distance, even though I'm doing the speed limit.

I need a big copy of the landrover sticker "Remember your car is my crumple zone"

Edited by TheQ

It's illegal, isn't it?

As it happens, I happened to be at the helm of a Solo SR when this snow event broke on Wednesday morning. In truth, it wasn’t especially difficult going as long as you thought about what you were doing and made common sense adjustments to your technique. One or two of the hills on my route required a bit of concentration but you got there with care.

As you’d expect, the problems were caused by those who didn’t adjust and perhaps more so, those who over-compensated, driving at little more than walking pace on relatively clear roads where 25mph could be achieved without compromising safety. Honestly, if people aren’t confident to take the car out in such conditions then don’t, for the safety of themselves and others.

What I found truly staggering was the minimal snow clearance many drivers undertook before setting off.

Some cleared the equivalent of the viewing slot on a tank, some didn’t even bother knocking 6” of snow off their headlights and nearly all had a 6” later still on the roof; including a fully marked up Police response car, FFS!

D4

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The problem with those 4x4 drivers is that like many people they forget that although they have grip to accelerate and get around corners, they still don't have the grip to react and stop quickly if needed.  It's the same as with the double decker bus a few posts back.  When I drive [a bus] in snow, my braking distance isn't much greater than it would be on a dry road at the same speed, because normally I'd be braking smoothly and gently anyway.  The difference is that if something untoward happens when you're driving quickly, your braking distance becomes much longer than normal no matter what tyres or how many driven wheels you have...

Heavy, M&S or AT tyres, they also grip quite well while braking.

That is if I actually brake, normally do not need to due to snow drag.

Not ALL those 4X4 driver's,

with 1.5 tons of old landrover with nothing modern like ABS, I always allow a good breaking distance whether in the snow or not. Especially if I'm carrying nearly another ton of building materials.

The biggest problem I have is BMW, Audi, hot hatches overtaking and taking my braking distance, even though I'm doing the speed limit.

I need a big copy of the landrover sticker "Remember your car is my crumple zone"

2.25 tons and it just seems to grip as long as you do not get silly.

• RMweb Premium

As it happens, I happened to be at the helm of a Solo SR when this snow event broke on Wednesday morning. In truth, it wasn’t especially difficult going as long as you thought about what you were doing and made common sense adjustments to your technique. One or two of the hills on my route required a bit of concentration but you got there with care.

As you’d expect, the problems were caused by those who didn’t adjust and perhaps more so, those who over-compensated, driving at little more than walking pace on relatively clear roads where 25mph could be achieved without compromising safety. Honestly, if people aren’t confident to take the car out in such conditions then don’t, for the safety of themselves and others.

What I found truly staggering was the minimal snow clearance many drivers undertook before setting off.

Some cleared the equivalent of the viewing slot on a tank, some didn’t even bother knocking 6” of snow off their headlights and nearly all had a 6” later still on the roof; including a fully marked up Police response car, FFS!

D4

Worst are Mercs and people carriers.

But I have a really good icicle on my front bumper

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have ridden a bike in similar weather, at least snow is soft when you fall off.

Wrapping up warm was essential even with a warm engine by your feet

• RMweb Premium

The problem with many 4x4 is that they are 4wd cars and not 4x4 off roaders, so do not have drive systems designed for maximum grip, that is electronic, mechanical and hydraulic. They also do not use tyres designed for grip on poor surfaces.

I did find when I needed to brake on compacted snow, driving in diff lock hugely increased stability. But it did mess up on a couple of very tight bends as it wanted to keep going straight (turning into my road ect).

An ordinary 4wd car, may give the driver more grip when pulling away, but still will be a lot less with someone using permanent 4wd, diff lock, traction control, clever suspension designed to keep tyres on ground, and suitable tyres.

For cars winter tyres are good, but for 4x4 I feel they are better off with good all terrains or mud snow, they may not be as soft as winter, but tend to be very good on clearing their treads.

I have done around 100 miles in last few days, about 60 in diff lock, the car NEVER felt out of control, it always felt like it was safe and in contact with the road.

I am very impressed with its ability on snow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A plea to any 4WD owners out there. Not any member on here I'd hope.

You may have sufficient grip to drive a little faster than the 2WD vehicles in these poor conditions. But we are driving appropriately expecting everyone else to be doing the same.

I'm sorry to hold you up from your most important appointment but that's no reason to intimidate other road users.

Let's all get to where we are going safetly please.

Rob

There's somebody here in Dorset who feels the same way as you. He was driving a Toyota Avensis very slowly along a well-gritted B road. To his credit, he did pull over to let me past and I continued down the road at 40mph. I am sure he was saying "****** 4-wheel drive". But actually I was coping perfectly well in 2wd (rwd) mode as indeed I did on snow-covered lanes, including a 1:6 hill.

I was disappointed yesterday to see a lot of 4wd vehicles not stopping to help other struggling road users.

• Like 1

I was disappointed yesterday to see a lot of 4wd vehicles not stopping to help other struggling road users.

One did stop for me today, but I'd only stopped to put socks on so didn't need help.

I followed a van with socks for a while. He was doing about 45 on clear tarmac and the socks were flapping around some. They have a limit of 30mph and tarmac wrecks them so that would be an expensive drive.

• RMweb Premium

Cockwomble of the day week month year this morning. I live on the corner of a T junction, I was sitting in my car, on my drive waiting for the car to warm up. I saw this Connect van approaching the junction, a bit fast for the icy conditions. He then suddenly turned left into my road, got into a four wheel skid and headed straight for me. It was only the fact that his rear wheel hit and bounced off the kerb that he didn't hit me.

Cockwomble of the day week month year this morning. I live on the corner of a T junction, I was sitting in my car, on my drive waiting for the car to warm up. I saw this Connect van approaching the junction, a bit fast for the icy conditions. He then suddenly turned left into my road, got into a four wheel skid and headed straight for me. It was only the fact that his rear wheel hit and bounced off the kerb that he didn't hit me.

Not a very good way for the van to live up to its name if it didn't hit you.

• RMweb Premium

Not a very good way for the van to live up to its name if it didn't hit you.

One of my neighbours has a SiL who will park in the 4 metres or so between my drive and the corner and its a right PITA reversing onto my drive when he does so. Later this afternoon he was parked there. This is where the van bounced off of the kerb and I can't help thinking it would have been better if he had parked there this morning. :sarcastichand: :mosking:

Went to visit the wife in hospital around 6pm at Huntingdon. I turned into the (private) road along the front of the hospital to the car park. There was a BMW going the other way very slowly....well it was being pushed! A smidgeon of snow had fallen in the last 1/2 hr, you needed to drive carefully, but it was just a dusting, and the road was mostly level, with a gentle minimum slope up to the roundabout....tarty BMW with low profile tyres and a heavy right foot. 2 burly blokes on the back though.

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

New AT tyres, marked mud and snow, and a limited slip differential in the back axle certainly improved the handling and drive through deep snow.

• Like 1

Can I just say a good result for me this week. 3 for 3. Since they made me a supervisor I don't get to play, sorry drive anymore, but we had 3 driver and their busses stuck due to either not knowing what to do or not having sphericals big enough to try. I can proudly say all 3 recovered by myself, including one down a very steep hill with a hairpin curve who a driver who has been driving since god was a boy said couldn't be done. True it was sideways under braking towards the bottom, but I was in full control all the time.

"smug look".

• Like 1

The most fun vehicles I've ever driven in conditions off dodgy grip have been my sidecar outfits. Yes, the laws of friction still apply, but the ability to point the vehicle in any direction, whilst actually travelling in any other direction were always entertaining. Converting some linear kinetic energy into the rotational flavour by spinning the thing was also an amusing means of slowing down :D.

Not exactly warm though. A horrible journey from Bristol to London, almost entirely in freezing fog is still burned into my memory 22 years on. It had warmed up by the time I made the return trip, however, so, of course, it rained all the way instead ;D.

Getting caught short the other day whilst assisting over drivers who stuck infront of me I had to take a pee near the car. Having moved the car there was a luminous yellow stain of Barocca pee in the snow. One of the van drivers saw in and thought he had an oil leak. Touching it with his boot I explained that the only thing that had had a leakwas me. Foot promptly removed. Anyone who takes Barocca will know it's effect on pee colour.

Edited by Baby Deltic