The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think that's what's behind a recent court decision that these blokes are really employees. 

Long overdue, as one expects from our legal system 

It isn't your legal system, it's the same around the world. The corporate companies have used clever lawyers to write their T&C, so that appears the the workforce has a choice. Well they do, agree or don't bother.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If you're skint, can't find a proper job that's probably what you have to do - the benefit system is hardly generous.  I'd be grumpy and miserable if I were in the position of having to work as a delivery driver and struggling to afford a roadworthy motor that I had to finance myself.  

Unfortunately down here most jobs are low paid, even low skilled jobs are hard to find, if you don’t want to clean caravans, wait on tables or be an odd job man your stuck.......

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A few years ago Royal Mail were saying that they were cutting deliveries due to people using text and e-mail. Now they are contemplating Sunday deliveries. Competition is fierce in the parcel delivery business which has grown enormously in the past few years even without the corvid factor.

They have stopped delivering letter post on Saturdays here, but parcels still come :huh:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The easing of lockdown has bought out the cockwombles. Following a Chelsea tractor this morning, speed fluctuating between 24 and 28 mph with the woman driver turning and talking to her passenger. We caught up with a bus. The bus stopped at a bus stop and she stopped with it. It was quite obvious that she wasn't going to pass it despite there being plenty of room to do so. So I passed both her and the bus and several cars behind me followed suit. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The bus stopped at a bus stop and she stopped with it. It was quite obvious that she wasn't going to pass it despite there being plenty of room to do so. So I passed both her and the bus and several cars behind me followed suit. 

The opposite happened to me the other day on a single track road. Stopped at a wide bit for an oncoming car and the idiot behind me decided to overtake. The oncoming car was about thirty feet away at the time.

2 hours ago, 30801 said:

The opposite happened to me the other day on a single track road. Stopped at a wide bit for an oncoming car and the idiot behind me decided to overtake. The oncoming car was about thirty feet away at the time.

Another candidate for the attentions of The Involuntary Euthanasia Society

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

2 different vehicles pulled out in front of us on Friday, one old git in a 30 zone made me slam on whilst doing 25mph, another was a van on a 70mph dual carriageway pulled out of a layby whilst a van was overtaking us. 

The first one got a beep, the second one got a longer beep and flicking of V signs as I went past him.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 96701 said:

The first one got a beep, the second one got a longer beep and flicking of V signs as I went past him.

17 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ooh, that'll learn him!!! :no:

He's probably used to it.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Now that lockdown is easing there are a lot of cockwombles about. Many haven't been behind the wheel for weeks or months and some even longer. 

You're forgetting that a percentage of the population, should never have been given a licence in the first place!

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

The over-riding lesson from that crash - never, ever, ever hit a tree at speed. :nono:

The tree will win. :butcher:

When I worked on the local rag I got called out to loads of accidents, one particular curvey road in Hutton near Shenfield there was a massive old oak tree right on a bend, it had NO bark left on the road side and has several little neat round holes in the bare trunk caused by the crank pulley boss on quite a few cars, indeed big trees DO NOT back down in a one to one and the only crumple zone is half an inch of bark......don’t do it!

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

When I worked on the local rag I got called out to loads of accidents, one particular curvey road in Hutton near Shenfield there was a massive old oak tree right on a bend, it had NO bark left on the road side and has several little neat round holes in the bare trunk caused by the crank pulley boss on quite a few cars, indeed big trees DO NOT back down in a one to one and the only crumple zone is half an inch of bark......don’t do it!

A Tree that should be commended for helping to make the roads safer

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

A Tree that should be commended for helping to make the roads safer

I say Oak, but it could have been an Elm or some such......all I do know is it must have been 4 foot in diameter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Got honked at this morning for not pulling forward so the car behind me could turn right. The reason I didn't pull forward was because it was a box junction right in front of me. Didn't get too long to see them fuming though since it cleared a few seconds later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Got honked at this morning for not pulling forward so the car behind me could turn right. The reason I didn't pull forward was because it was a box junction right in front of me. Didn't get too long to see them fuming though since it cleared a few seconds later.

No sympathy - shouldn't you have left space in front of you for right turners into the road on your left?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

No sympathy - shouldn't you have left space in front of you for right turners into the road on your left?

Charming.

Right turners in to the road on my left would be using the space covered by the box junction (if they're turning from right to my left that implies they're coming from the other direction). Please explain quite how I'm supposed to leave space for a car BEHIND me to turn right at the box junction without entering it myself.

• Agree 4