RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Reorte said:

The fact that the ford's been closed now suggests that even if they didn't someone in some position somewhere has decided that people shouldn't be allowed to carry on making their own poor decisions and dealing with the consequences, but that people should be protected from their own actions.

There's no beating stupid.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/12/2022 at 21:28, APOLLO said:

Snow, Snow, quick, quick, snow !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

I grew up near that junction and know it well. It was fun going around it on the top deck of a Bristol double-decker.

It lies parallel to the alignment of the rope worked incline of the old Gloucester and Cheltenham Tramroad.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Reorte said:

The fact that the ford's been closed now suggests that even if they didn't someone in some position somewhere has decided that people shouldn't be allowed to carry on making their own poor decisions and dealing with the consequences, but that people should be protected from their own actions.

Which doesn't answer the question at all! It's just a rant.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Which doesn't answer the question at all! It's just a rant.

Of course it's an answer. If you disagree with it or think otherwise you could at least come up with why. Nine times out of ten "that's just a rant" comes across as someone doing nothing more than attempting to dismiss replies they disagree with. It's even more transparent than usual in this case since claiming that was a rant really is quite a leap.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Reorte said:

Nine times out of ten "that's just a rant" comes across as someone doing nothing more than attempting to dismiss replies they disagree with.

But one in ten rants are just that - letting off steam. Which category that falls into is a nice question!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But one in ten rants are just that - letting off steam. Which category that falls into is a nice question!

Generally what might be reasonably labelled as a "rant" are both. Look at it from another perspective - if someone responds in a clearly positive way would you (generic you, not you personally) accept that? If so then why not a negative one?

Anyway I still completely disagree that there even was anything resembling a "rant." I can give them and have done often enough, and make no apologies for doing so, but that's really beside the point here since there wasn't anything remotely resembling one. It's not as if someone's come up with an alternative reason for closing the ford other than the one I suggested. There was the point about "they haven't learned, since people keep doing it," but I still don't see how that adds up to making closure a reasonable decision. The other problem with it is that it doesn't quite add up, since the point is about individuals making mistakes, since people aren't a hive mind, so it only really applies if the same people keep trying to drive through and getting stuck.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Generally what might be reasonably labelled as a "rant" are both. Look at it from another perspective - if someone responds in a clearly positive way would you (generic you, not you personally) accept that? If so then why not a negative one?

Anyway I still completely disagree that there even was anything resembling a "rant." I can give them and have done often enough, and make no apologies for doing so, but that's really beside the point here since there wasn't anything remotely resembling one. It's not as if someone's come up with an alternative reason for closing the ford other than the one I suggested. There was the point about "they haven't learned, since people keep doing it," but I still don't see how that adds up to making closure a reasonable decision. The other problem with it is that it doesn't quite add up, since the point is about individuals making mistakes, since people aren't a hive mind, so it only really applies if the same people keep trying to drive through and getting stuck.

You could have simply said that you had no idea, why it was closed officially - if any answer. But you made up a conspiracy answer, which I labelled a rant.

Personally, I agree that people should have been allowed to wreck their vehicles - assuming they were personally responsible for potential expenses and without inconveniencing others.

Edited by kevinlms
Slight clairification
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

You could have simply said that you had no idea, why it was closed officially - if any answer. But you made up a conspiracy answer, which I labelled a rant.

Personally, I agree that people should have been allowed to wreck their vehicles - assuming they were personally responsible for potential expenses.

Now it's a conspiracy too?!

The word is "hypothesis."

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting driving about today. Just uploaded a file to operation snap after a young lady decided that the rules of roundabouts did not apply to her and that she could drive onto the roundabout without looking and without any care of other vehicles. 

• Like 2

Two things, 

Most of the BMWs I saw today had faulty indicators!!!! 🤬

And, 4 wheel drive cars on summer tyres are no better than two wheel drive when skiding down the snowy road. 🤣   Just look for winter tyre tests vids that show even a two wheel drive car on winters can drive up a ski slope and a 4 wheel drive on summer tyres can't even go twenty feet!!! 😏

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, davefrk said:

Just look for winter tyre tests vids that show even a two wheel drive car on winters can drive up a ski slope and a 4 wheel drive on summer tyres can't even go twenty feet!!! 😏

Or on the one I watched the 4x4 slid backwards down the slope into the big pile of mats thoughtfully placed at the bottom.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, davefrk said:

Just look for winter tyre tests vids that show even a two wheel drive car on winters can drive up a ski slope and a 4 wheel drive on summer tyres can't even go twenty feet!!! 😏

46 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Or on the one I watched the 4x4 slid backwards down the slope into the big pile of mats thoughtfully placed at the bottom.

Or the video that was doing the rounds a few years ago showing 4X4's slithering back down a snowy slope and a bus driving up the slope as if the snow wasn't there.

• RMweb Premium

That's why my Landrover has all weather all terrains fitted, I've used them too when trapped between two cars that had stuffed themselves into the snow.. Took to the fields which I knew were empty of crops and I know the three exits to that field.

That's one reason for a 4x4, the other is although there is no ford in any direction, in all directions from our house it goes down to -1 metre ASL last time it was an island was the 1953 floods..

• Like 2

After all the talk about SUVs sliding around on the snow here is the Smart Car Snow plough!

Apparently the reason it exists is the inventor ran a snow plough service and the distances between sites was a pain on his little tractor.

17 hours ago, TheQ said:

That's why my Landrover has all weather all terrains fitted, I've used them too when trapped between two cars that had stuffed themselves into the snow.. Took to the fields which I knew were empty of crops and I know the three exits to that field.

That's one reason for a 4x4, the other is although there is no ford in any direction, in all directions from our house it goes down to -1 metre ASL last time it was an island was the 1953 floods..

Yeah, our old Landrover has tyres marked 'M&S' and Fiona refers to them as ' Not just any old tyres but M&S tyres....

Fiona's small SUV has winter tyres and they've been great over the past week of pure ice on our roads.

Somewhere we have photos of the Landie with some proper snow.

((M&S for the uninitiated is Mud & Snow))

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all.

David & Fiona.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 1

I had a Jeep Cherokee (the small body type sold under that name in UK) followed by a Nissan Terrano during the cold spells in 2008-10, including working around the Bath area. The Terrano did a great job on Bath's icy, snowy hills. Lots of Chelsea Tractors making fools of themselves or just parked up!

I made a round trip from Peterborough to Preston during the big storm of early 2018, it was to attend what would prove to be a key job interview or I wouldn't have gone. Transport was a then new-to-me Skoda Scout (the AWD 2-litre version of the Octavia) and it was much easier than in a full-size 4x4. I saw some truly lunatic driving on that trip, the worst I've ever seen outside India or Russia. 

One side-light of that trip was passing through the tangled urban sprawl of the Nottingham/Derby area. I hadn't realised how many people don't appear to possess shoes other than white trainers, or overcoats of any description...

• Like 3

on the subject of shoes in winter can remember during the the beast from the east bmw x5 on bling wheels and tyres in the ditch at the bottom of a notorious local hill  obviousley going no where untill a passing landrover took petty on it. owner of said x5 forlornly stood talking to said landrover owner dressed in dressing gown cutoff shorts and flip flops with sox hopefully he learned one or two lessons that day 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, peanuts said:

on the subject of shoes in winter can remember during the the beast from the east bmw x5 on bling wheels and tyres in the ditch at the bottom of a notorious local hill  obviousley going no where untill a passing landrover took petty on it. owner of said x5 forlornly stood talking to said landrover owner dressed in dressing gown cutoff shorts and flip flops with sox hopefully he learned one or two lessons that day 

Well that sums them up doesn't it, BMW -  Blxxdy Moron Within....

Yes I know, not all drivers are the same so apologies to the good ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, davefrk said:

It's a curious thing about BMWs. Their motorcycles have (possibly had, I don't know) a reputation for being "gentlemen of the road", experienced, discriminating riders who spent good money on highly developed, well mannered touring machines which they rode with skill and panache. 

Their cars, on the other hand.....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, davefrk said:

You're not apologising to many then!

It's seemingly a worldwide phenomenon, whilst every Spanish motorist drives like their hair is on fire, the usual teutonic suspects take it to another level.

Mike.

• Like 3