Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

9 hours ago, geoffers said:

For several years I worked with "operational" Army Air Corps AH64 Apache helicopters. The airbase also hosted a police helicopter unit (Eurocopter EC135). The police pilots and crew were known to say they wished they sometimes had an Apache. to play with.

On a different subject regarding road works etc. I find it difficult on the odd occasion on a narrow road inhabited with plentiful parked vehicles (usually legally) to judge which are parked and which are queueing especially when several of the parked and queueing vehicles are white vans. Got a mouthful yesterday in the Cambridgeshire Fens from a "white van man" in such a scenario. 

Its a pity that there isnt a rear daylight running light' because that would indicate if a vehicle was 'l;ive' not parked

• Like 4

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Still sounds like a 'Wild West' approach to me!

Australian police are regulary armed, but I do hope they never resort to such dubious tactics.

And you from the country who gave us this too...😆 

big_bopper2.jpg.3dc549104d2f14bdc9a94929be980a81.jpg

"This is Big Bopper, we're out of the game, Charlie's copped a saucepan in the throat!..."

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

Its a pity that there isnt a rear daylight running light' because that would indicate if a vehicle was 'l;ive' not parked

True, but you can barely see those stupid LED turn signals in daylight. 😁 

I do think that those marker lights on 70s / 80s American cars were a good idea though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's telling of modern society that the tossers who harangue road workers don't have enough oil in their lamp to work out that, by driving their car/vehicle, are causing the need for the roadworks in the first place.

You can't cure stupid.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Still sounds like a 'Wild West' approach to me!

Australian police are regulary armed, but I do hope they never resort to such dubious tactics.

This article doesn't explain HOW the vehicle was stopped, but no suggestion of guns being crucial to stopping the vehicle. Personally, I don't care how many police cars get damaged in such action, but hitting police officers is totally unacceptable.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-29/police-officer-hit-by-car-which-then-allegedly-left-scene/103650148

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

This article doesn't explain HOW the vehicle was stopped, but no suggestion of guns being crucial to stopping the vehicle. Personally, I don't care how many police cars get damaged in such action, but hitting police officers is totally unacceptable.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-29/police-officer-hit-by-car-which-then-allegedly-left-scene/103650148

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Andrew_Harper

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, anyone who has really mastered the English language and knows how to use antistrophe, dysphemism, hyperbole, litotes, periphrasis and other tools of rhetoric, can easily be cutting, caustic or downright nasty without once using an offensive term or a swear word (Winston Churchill is credited with gibing at Attlee as “a sheep in sheep’s clothing” and a “modest man who has a good deal to be modest about.” - cutting and caustic with nary a bad word)

My favourite Churchilism is when Lady Astor told him "If you were my husband I'd poison your coffee." to which he replied "If you were my wife I'd drink it.".

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

13 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Would also be handy as a "heat-seeking" missile target.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

On 27/03/2024 at 21:37, GrumpyPenguin said:

Whatever the reasons it's not the fault of the guys doing the works - they are "planned" by people on higher pay grades that are never at the sharp end.

Never at the sharp end and answerable to none.

The missus was driving back from her fathers from Peasmarsh to Eastbourne a couple of nights ago and upon reaching Battle met diversion signs pointing her towards Hastings due to roadworks which had closed the A271.

Following this route sending her initially in completely the wrong direction she finally passed through Bexhill and reached Little Common where she was met with more road closure signs, the A259 between there and the outskirts of Eastbourne.

At this point her local knowledge ran out so she gave me a ring so I sent her south towards Cooden where she could use the old route along the coast but upon arrival it was also closed for roadworks so another phone call from an increasingly frustrated wife.

Back to Little Common and this times north along Peartree Lane (I used to live there so know all the backroads) but half way along it was also closed for roadworks. In tears now I became a remote satnav and managed to guide her back to the A269 at Ninfield where it turned out that stretch was clear until it meets up with the A271 which was just beyond the section that was closed.

A 50 minute journey took over 2 1/2 hours and the galling bit was a bit of thought from the planners could have sent you a couple of miles down a country lane from Battle to Ninfield rather than the ridiculous route that just took you to another closed road.

I guess it's because it's nearly the end of the financial year so the county council is using every penny it has left of their roadworks budget but to close virtually every route between Hastings and Eastbourne from 8pm onwards with diversions that don't work was ridiculous. It was obvious the none of the planners knew of the other works hence diverting you towards them.

Anyhow, it's not the fault of the guys doing the work but unfortunately they are the ones visible and cop the drivers frustrations at the incompetent planners.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Never at the sharp end and answerable to none.

The missus was driving back from her fathers from Peasmarsh to Eastbourne a couple of nights ago and upon reaching Battle met diversion signs pointing her towards Hastings due to roadworks which had closed the A271.

Following this route sending her initially in completely the wrong direction she finally passed through Bexhill and reached Little Common where she was met with more road closure signs, the A259 between there and the outskirts of Eastbourne.

At this point her local knowledge ran out so she gave me a ring so I sent her south towards Cooden where she could use the old route along the coast but upon arrival it was also closed for roadworks so another phone call from an increasingly frustrated wife.

Back to Little Common and this times north along Peartree Lane (I used to live there so know all the backroads) but half way along it was also closed for roadworks. In tears now I became a remote satnav and managed to guide her back to the A269 at Ninfield where it turned out that stretch was clear until it meets up with the A271 which was just beyond the section that was closed.

A 50 minute journey took over 2 1/2 hours and the galling bit was a bit of thought from the planners could have sent you a couple of miles down a country lane from Battle to Ninfield rather than the ridiculous route that just took you to another closed road.

I guess it's because it's nearly the end of the financial year so the county council is using every penny it has left of their roadworks budget but to close virtually every route between Hastings and Eastbourne from 8pm onwards with diversions that don't work was ridiculous. It was obvious the none of the planners knew of the other works hence diverting you towards them.

Anyhow, it's not the fault of the guys doing the work but unfortunately they are the ones visible and cop the drivers frustrations at the incompetent planners.

AFAIK if thetre is a diversion, certainly on A Roads it has to be over A Roads hence some very long diversions for relativley minor road closures

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

AFAIK if thetre is a diversion, certainly on A Roads it has to be over A Roads hence some very long diversions for relativley minor road closures

Diversions have to be usable by HGV hence some of the odd routes .

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

17 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Diversions have to be usable by HGV hence some of the odd routes .

Which doesn't help the majority of road users in cars. To be fair the only roads that were open were certainly unsuitable for HGV's. That said they managed to close every A road at the same time so if you were in an HGV it was tough. The A2100 north of Battle is also closed due to a landship so an HGV in Hastings would have to go up the A21 to Hurst Green and then across to Heathfield then you were in the clear. Just looked at the routes. A normal 11 mile drive from Hastings to Eastbourne increases to 39 miles using open A roads.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

Which doesn't help the majority of road users in cars.

Found this ,

Diversion routes are suggested by the companies carrying out works and the general rule is to divert traffic to the most appropriate category of road.

For example, roadworks on an A road require a diversion route to be provided on another A road, if available. As the local highway authority we cannot refuse to accept suggested diversion routes unless there is already a significant level of activity on that part of the network.

AFAIK if you know the area you are free to pick your own route .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I use the one network map to check for roadworks

https://one.network/

Around here we have the opposite of some of the problems mentioned above - Road Closed Ahead signs can be miles, often around 10 miles away with countless options to go to other places but the Road Closed sign doesn't detail where it's closed so you either take a chance the closure will affect you and go another way, or take a chance it won't and get stuck.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/03/2024 at 21:51, beast66606 said:

I use the one network map to check for roadworks

https://one.network/

Around here we have the opposite of some of the problems mentioned above - Road Closed Ahead signs can be miles, often around 10 miles away with countless options to go to other places but the Road Closed sign doesn't detail where it's closed so you either take a chance the closure will affect you and go another way, or take a chance it won't and get stuck.

Found that coming home from work one night. 

All it said was road closed ahead. No access to my home town 

Found the closure after around 10 miles.  

No diversion signs to give you a clue as to the point of closure. 

Fortunately I know my way round the back lanes, but had I known where it was closed it would have been a lot easier. 

Another classic was heading to Luton Airport to collect the in laws. 

Their flight was already 3 hours late due to weather and the signs announced the M1 was closed between two non consecutive junctions. 

No problem, go as far as can and follow diversion signs. We have plenty of time

A fine plan till you get to the junction with "M1 South  diverted traffic " pointing left and right. 

Got there 20 minutes after they got off the bus in the car park. They were still in the air when we left the M1. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Friendly/supportive 7

13 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Go big or go home.

434080539_754824440085893_3146153337245240234_n.jpg.20314e06dee48d4f0ccdd02d7288630f.jpg

Overhanging/unbalanced load ✔️

Improperly secured load ✔️

Load too heavy for vehicle ✔️

Improper towing method ✔️

Brakelights/indicators not connected to towing vehicle ✔️

Inapproprate towing weight ✔️

Towing vehicle possibly unroadworthy ✔️

Wheres the book?

🤪

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Overhanging/unbalanced load ✔️

Improperly secured load ✔️

Load too heavy for vehicle ✔️

Improper towing method ✔️

Brakelights/indicators not connected to towing vehicle ✔️

Inapproprate towing weight ✔️

Towing vehicle possibly unroadworthy ✔️

Wheres the book?

🤪

Also neither the recovery truck nor the SUV have MOTs.

• RMweb Premium