RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

8 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But when was the photo taken?

They both could have been legal at the time!

Jeez, can't anyone just be happy with a silly picture 😀

Landcruiser last had an MOT in 2021 and I really don't think anything there was legal ever.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Jeez, can't anyone just be happy with a silly picture 😀

Landcruiser last had an MOT in 2021 and I really don't think anything there was legal ever.

Absolutely not , we as pedants demand to know to the last detail where the silly picture

originated .     😎

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Out for a chug through the countryside today on our motorcycles we found ourselves filtering through traffic and up ahead is a VW Golf with clouds of armpit smelling weed smoke coming out of the windows. 

Coming into the next town on our round trip we pass a Ford Focus, different car, same problem, both drivers oblivious to what was going on around them.

It occurred to me that dropping a grenade into the driver's footwell might wake him up.

For about four seconds anyway...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Out for a chug through the countryside today on our motorcycles we found ourselves filtering through traffic and up ahead is a VW Golf with clouds of armpit smelling weed smoke coming out of the windows. 

Coming into the next town on our round trip we pass a Ford Focus, different car, same problem, both drivers oblivious to what was going on around them.

It occurred to me that dropping a grenade into the driver's footwell might wake him up.

Hi

It seems to be increasingly common in the last few years. Walking up our local high street you end up getting a nose full of the stuff.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

It seems to be increasingly common in the last few years. Walking up our local high street you end up getting a nose full of the stuff.

It seems to be the last bastion of combustion based smoking. Everthings else is all vape and you walk through giant clouds of Vimto.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 30801 said:

It seems to be the last bastion of combustion based smoking. Everthings else is all vape and you walk through giant clouds of Vimto.

Vapes - about the only things that smell even worse than cigarettes.

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Has it been reported?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Has it been reported?

What would be the point of that? If you could even get a drugs marker put on the car, chances are all they'd get is a cannabis warning, or if charged with DUI and banned (if indeed the f'tards have ever held a license) they'll just buy another junker and drive it around until they get pulled again. 

The most likely result in court is being bound over or maybe a suspended sentence.

If you think the police are indifferent to such behaviour, it's largely the fault of the utterly inept justice system.

Last year I was helping a friend clear some land behind another friend's house which was so overgrown you could only see one of the three garages on site.

We'd replaced the lock on the brick garage to store our tools, but after just four days someone crowbarred the door and stole two Stihl petrol brush cutters and a chainsaw.

I called 999 to be told that unless the burglary was in progress I should call 101.

An hour later, I got through and was asked if the burglary was in the house? 

No. The garage.

Is the garage attached to the house?

No.

Then we can't attend.

About an hour later we were hacking into the creepers at the back of the next garage and found the items in bin liners hidden between the garages under a large ivy plant.

Obviously the thieves were intending on coming back with transport and probably had loot from other outbuildings.

I called 101 again to fill them in on what we'd found and ask if they would like to catch the culprits as there had been a spate of burglaries, all they would need to do is keep watch.

The answer, as you might have guessed by now was no.

So I offered to assist, what if four ex military types secreted themselves nearby that night?

I was then sternly told that it would be we who would be in trouble with the law.

Exasperated, I suggested that the desk jockey should prepare for mayhem and hung up.

We took all our tools home and decided that breaking and entering for the purposes of theft must now be legal, but we missed the press release.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

What would be the point of that? If you could even get a drugs marker put on the car, chances are all they'd get is a cannabis warning, or if charged with DUI and banned (if indeed the f'tards have ever held a license) they'll just buy another junker and drive it around until they get pulled again. 

The most likely result in court is being bound over or maybe a suspended sentence.

If you think the police are indifferent to such behaviour, it's largely the fault of the utterly inept justice system.

Last year I was helping a friend clear some land behind another friend's house which was so overgrown you could only see one of the three garages on site.

We'd replaced the lock on the brick garage to store our tools, but after just four days someone crowbarred the door and stole two Stihl petrol brush cutters and a chainsaw.

I called 999 to be told that unless the burglary was in progress I should call 101.

No. The garage.

No.

Then we can't attend.

About an hour later we were hacking into the creepers at the back of the next garage and found the items in bin liners hidden between the garages under a large ivy plant.

Obviously the thieves were intending on coming back with transport and probably had loot from other outbuildings.

I called 101 again to fill them in on what we'd found and ask if they would like to catch the culprits as there had been a spate of burglaries, all they would need to do is keep watch.

So I offered to assist, what if four ex military types secreted themselves nearby that night?

I was then sternly told that it would be we who would be in trouble with the law.

Exasperated, I suggested that the desk jockey should prepare for mayhem and hung up.

We took all our tools home and decided that breaking and entering for the purposes of theft must now be legal, but we missed the press release.

If you don't touch the scrotes you won't be in trouble, just give them a fright. By starting up the chain saw and asking them if thats what they are looking for.😈

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

If you don't touch the scrotes you won't be in trouble, just give them a fright. By starting up the chain saw and asking them if thats what they are looking for.😈

That would be classed as threats to kill, putting them in fear of harm, use of an offensive weapon and in holding them at sawpoint, unlawful imprisonment.

A better idea would have been to have said nothing to the police, armed ourselves with something silent, a couple of rolls of chicken wire and the keys to another friend's fishing boat. ☠️

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That would be classed as threats to kill, putting them in fear of harm, use of an offensive weapon and in holding them at sawpoint, unlawful imprisonment.

A better idea would have been to have said nothing to the police, armed ourselves with something silent, a couple of rolls of chicken wire and the keys to another friend's fishing boat. ☠️

I assume Little Red Riding Hood is aware of what she is living with?!!

Damned good idea though.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Only if the police found the bits.

Mike.

• Funny 5

There are many issues and while I dont want to declare 'open season' on chavs, my view is that if you attack people or steal their stuff and end up getting a kicking, tough, dont go wailing to the law

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

A favourite round here lately has been putting up road works lights, doing nothing, then taking them down again..  they've done that twice at the same point in the next village, and so far still haven't fixed the collapsed verge..( it's gone into a water filled ditch..)

also leaving lights up for a week after the work has been completed has become common..

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I assume Little Red Riding Hood is aware of what she is living with?!!

Damned good idea though.

Mike.

That might be the other way around, she may or may not have been the silent killer I was referring to...

03000f5d.jpg.49a733cac63ce1844ca350f599576a5b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Only if the police found the bits.

Mike.

Combine all three suggestions.😈

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TheQ said:

A favourite round here lately has been putting up road works lights, doing nothing, then taking them down again..  they've done that twice at the same point in the next village, and so far still haven't fixed the collapsed verge..( it's gone into a water filled ditch..)

also leaving lights up for a week after the work has been completed has become common..

Due to the lights and the works being the responsibility of different contractors?

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

No. The garage.

No.

Then we can't attend.

That attitude from the police sounds about right.

A few years ago, I got off the train after work & witnessed somebody trying to break a bike lock with a hammer & bolster. Somebody was watching him, so he hovered around having a quick bash now & again. I stayed around to support the observer. He called the police & they insisted that they could not send anyone even after he replied "if you come now, you will catch him". The police station in MK is less than a mile from the railway station & traffic is rarely a problem.

There seem to be some crimes for which they do not bother with.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Seems that the fake remorse helped her case, despite the prosecution stating:-

The prosecution questioned the extent of Sturgess's remorse, saying despite her guilty plea, she had consistently denied or minimised the effect of the mobile phone use in the crash.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-10/driver-abby-sturgess-jailed-killing-cyclist-while-on-mobile/103689718

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/03/2024 at 20:51, beast66606 said:

Around here we have the opposite of some of the problems mentioned above - Road Closed Ahead signs can be miles, often around 10 miles away with countless options to go to other places but the Road Closed sign doesn't detail where it's closed so you either take a chance the closure will affect you and go another way, or take a chance it won't and get stuck.

Case in point today - heading out to photograph a train, came to a road closed ahead sign, no further information but on the "main" road to where I was heading, decided to try it as I could turn off at several points and use tiny lanes to get to my destination, or an alternate destination if push came to shove. 5 miles later I turned off the road, on my planned route and got to my place of choice, having passed several more road closed signs with make a u-turn for diversion signs. Having checked since the road was actually closed about 1/2 mile further on from where I turned off - but a "road closed in 5.5 miles" sign would have helped, and no doubt some would have taken the diversion and, if they wanted a location in the first 5 miles, been unable to get to their destination. Pretty typical for over here.

• Friendly/supportive 8

Being in the trade as it were, traffic management ((cones, signs & diversions), for larger schemes especially, are designed and then vetted and approved by the highway authority. For smaller schemes such as short utility works, in theory the same applies but implementation is generally at a cowboy level.

the thing is diversions are set up to be compatible with ALL road users. If the closure is an HGV route, the diversion must be too. Smaller vehicles may have other options but those cannot be signed as a HGV will undoubtedly try and follow and get stuck. We do kind of rely on local knowledge reducing traffic on the official route and following their own knowledge.

the other thing to remember is TM operatives are paid minimum wage and spend most of their working life sat in a van watching paint dry/ tarmac set or reading The Sun. For their trouble they get verbally and physically abused, cans of urine thrown at them and increasingly threatened with weapons.

Edited by black and decker boy
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6