RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Well Tesla have doubled down and made the gear selector a slide control on the touchscreen in the Cybertruck.

Considering quite a few of my posts I think it's fair to assume that there's zero chance of me ever buying a Tesla.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

4 hours ago, 30801 said:

BL already mechanically vandalised it by fitting an engine that never ran right. My mate's dad once spent his pools win on a brand new SD1 that was similarly junk from the factory.

Get over it. It's a mass produced consumer product. It's not Jesus.

There are many vehicles that suffered from engines that were not quite "right" but mostly they can be sorted.

If you don't understand why true Land Rover enthusiasts think converting Solihul producst to EV is mechanical vandalism then you are not a true LR fan (for all their quirks which is part of the appeal) & will never understand.

I'll leave it there.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've often got the sat nav on for long distance driving ( pre set before starting) .. not for getting there on the normal route, but several times over the years, I've been diverted off into the wilds due to an accident, there are then no signs how to get back onto your route.

The current sat nav, radio, phone answerer, dashcam, machine is touch screen, but who ever designed it had thought about it.

Down one side are the permanent 6 touches for the modes.

If you have the radio on there are 6 large touches along the bottom for preset radio stations. I find it no harder to use than the old push button radios. Tend not to change stations anyway, the radio has of course got AF on it so it automatically finds the best received signal for that station.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I quite like this land rover.

image.png.770a4dc53839c3b083d404f7f93a981d.png

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 3

13 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

If you don't understand why true Land Rover enthusiasts think converting Solihul producst to EV is mechanical vandalism then you are not a true LR fan (for all their quirks which is part of the appeal) & will never understand.

This gatekeeping is hilarious. Man buys car. Man can do what he wants with it.

12 minutes ago, TheQ said:

That's one way to make it smoke less.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, TheQ said:

image.png.770a4dc53839c3b083d404f7f93a981d.png

It's an HST in disguise!

Let's see how many don't get that?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Considering quite a few of my posts I think it's fair to assume that there's zero chance of me ever buying a Tesla.

I would avoid knowingly buying ANY product associated with Elon Musk.

Do a search on X and the Bishop that was stabbed in Sydney, Australia. Musk refuses so far in removing the recording of the stabbing, even though a federal Australian agency has taken legal action against X.

Wot a w****r keep calling it 'X' formerly known as Twitter'. Was it really such a bad business decision to rename it?

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

For all the faffing about with touchscreens, it's an improvement on SWMBO's previous method of selecting in-car entertainment while driving, namely changing CDs (not too bad) and then reading the tracklist on the case.  I tried to cure her of the latter part but not very successfully as I'm not in her car very often.  Fortunately her previous and current cars don't have players.

• Friendly/supportive 5

26 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Indeed he can, which is the oft shouted mantra of the banger racers who will spend over £2000 on a classic car that is restorable just for the fun of being able to say to everyone else "It's mine, I can smash it up".

I had a disagreement with some older chap who was busy modifying a mid 1950s Matchless motorcycle "because it wasn't safe in modern traffic", (I suspected that he'd scared himself at some point.) 

He was fitting a disc front brake, so needed modern anti dive forks to accommodate it and the associated re-engineering of the steering head bearing. 

He was also fitting indicators, hazard flashers, halogen lamps and an alternator to power it all.

He was busy telling us about his struggles with finding a disc brake rear wheel that would fit in the Matchless swinging arm rear fork, or a fork that could be made to fit the Matchless frame when I asked:

"If you want all that, why not just go out and buy a five year old Honda?"

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

He wants to end up on the motorcycle club's 'eBay Madness' thread sometime in the future, when he goes to sell it!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, 30801 said:

That is of course true. However, I'm still allowed to express my opinion am I not ?

The same goes for cladding on terraced houses and artificial grass.................

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I would avoid knowingly buying ANY product associated with Elon Musk.

Thing is the products are really good even though the bloke's a massive nobber.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 30801 said:

Except they're not. Plenty of articles out there about how poor the Tesla build quality is compared with other cars of a similar price range. I remember a few years ago they were showing off one in our local shopping centre, so I wandered over to have a look - the panel gaps were worse than anything BL ever managed!

Plus as has been mentioned earlier, having all the controls on a single touchscreen is not in any way safe - goodness knows how they managed to get that through type approval.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Except they're not. Plenty of articles out there about how poor the Tesla build quality is compared with other cars of a similar price range. I remember a few years ago they were showing off one in our local shopping centre, so I wandered over to have a look - the panel gaps were worse than anything BL ever managed!

Plus as has been mentioned earlier, having all the controls on a single touchscreen is not in any way safe - goodness knows how they managed to get that through type approval.

Oh, let's see Tesla came from nowhere making rebadged Elans with batteries to being a major manufacturer in only a few years.

You can get high speed broadband anywhere in the world via Starlink who's satellites are launched by reusable rockets that land vertically. None of those companies existed a few years ago either.

The best you can come up with is 'boo hoo panel gaps' on an early car?

The stuff he's done with companies that make stuff is straight up astonishing.

Twitter is a trainwreck of course but that's not in the field of making clever technology.

• RMweb Premium

And from what I gleaned Twitter is the company he's about the most hands on with. Rumours going around that most of the other companies he's involved with have people devoted to keeping him out of the way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

Done a bit of driving the last few days (900 miles since Friday) and something that I saw a couple of times was on a busy motorway the person in the middle lane realised they weren't going to make it past the vehicle they were trying to overtake before their turn-off and after passing the /// warning board decided to brake hard to pull in behind them.  Ignoring the fact that the reason they hadn't made it past in the first place is that the traffic was heavy and that now everyone behind them is also having to brake.

You've had a good minute to get into the correct lane and you've waited until the only way you can make it is to cause issues for other people...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, bimble said:

Done a bit of driving the last few days (900 miles since Friday) and something that I saw a couple of times was on a busy motorway the person in the middle lane realised they weren't going to make it past the vehicle they were trying to overtake before their turn-off and after passing the /// warning board decided to brake hard to pull in behind them.  Ignoring the fact that the reason they hadn't made it past in the first place is that the traffic was heavy and that now everyone behind them is also having to brake.

You've had a good minute to get into the correct lane and you've waited until the only way you can make it is to cause issues for other people...

It often happens on dual carriageways as well. When I approach such junctions if I'm not leaving the road I'm on I try to leave extra space between myself and the vehicle in front.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 30801 said:

How is that FSD level 5 that buyers were promised many years ago comng on?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

How is that FSD level 5* that buyers were promised many years ago comng on?

What's an FSD level 5?

I checked the 1959 Standard - Triumph parts book, no mention of it, so I probably don't need one anyway.

• Funny 2

Today's amusement was provided by the 20mph zone in the next village.

As it's a twisting, narrow road with high stone retaining walls and various 300+ year old buildings directly on the road side which has been the site of numerous fatalities, I don't find it as ridiculous as most.

There's signs, red bands of tarmac and big white 20 symbols on the road and recently humps have been added.

We were driving along at twenty (about 22-23 on the clap-o-meter) and behind us was a P.O.S. old VW Polo driven by a potato head and behind that a large Mercedes.

The Polo decided to overtake us and as he got alongside pulled a stupid face at Miss Riding Hood in the driver's seat.

She didn't hit the horn or swear at him, just pointed calmly ahead at the rapidly approaching blind left hander.

Cue panicked acceleration from the potato head as we and the Mercedes braked and waited for the bang.

Lucky for him the Polo got around the corner and away. The memsahib didn't say a word, just made a gesture with her little finger which suggested that the Polo driver either has or possibly is a pitifully small male member...

Edited by MrWolf
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It often happens on dual carriageways as well. When I approach such junctions if I'm not leaving the road I'm on I try to leave extra space between myself and the vehicle in front.

This behaviour is all too common.

I once had a Mercedes tailgate me as I was overtaking on a dual carriageway, the driver clearly irritated that  I was sticking to the speed limit. After I pulled over the Mercedes shot past then immediately pulled into the inside lane, obviously intending to turn off at the approaching junction. He had to brake heavily because he was now tucked up behind a lorry and although I was also planning to turn off I calculated I could safely overtake the pair of them before reaching the slip road. This worked out perfectly and I could imagine the utter disbelief and frustration of the Mercedes driver when he found himself stuck behind me again, religiously sticking to the 30 mph limit. 

Such moments of satisfaction are rare.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

What's an FSD level 5?

I checked the 1959 Standard - Triumph parts book, no mention of it, so I probably don't need one anyway.

FSD is Tesla's "Full Self Driving" - a product marketed as fully autonomous driving  (like the full name suggests), that people paid for and then were told to go kick rocks by an idiotic CEO when it never materialised. Currently it comprises of things like lane assist and cruise control, but is anything but fully autonomous as the driver has to stay alert and "ready to take over" at any point. It's very poorly implemented, using cameras only (someone who think's he knows better than all the other car makes told his engineers to remove the LIDAR used on older models).  Tesla got outed faking a video of it in operation several years ago. It also has a habit of running into the back of stationary emergency vehicles, motorcycles, cyclists, trees and lane dividers.

The level 5 refers to SAE standards for autonomous vehicles, which is the nirvana of  self driving e.g. you can kip in the back and get to your destination, alive, rather than the sub L3 it's currently at with driver assist features.

Edited by 57xx
Speeling
  • Like 3