The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

22 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

In the early 80's I was coming down Black Dog Hill on the A36 late one night when a Citroen Dyane shot past me.

He must have been pedal to the metal all the way from Salisbury

2CV's and the original Ami 6 are great. 

Even 007 got a lift in one when his Lotus did its usual party trick of catching fire.

This clip always reminds me of when we were trying to find our way out of Bradford in the Herald, not long after Miss R passed her test...

https://youtu.be/DB9-NU7iRkw?si=7rvM4b_UKvHtaAyY

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Was driving behind someone today, driving at 60kmh in 80 then 70 zones.
Further up the road, the limit drops to 50kmh.

Any guess as to what speed they then proceeded to drive at, with brakes on all the way down the not steep hill?

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Any guess as to what speed they then proceeded to drive at, with brakes on all the way down the not steep hill?

Plus an extra dab on the brakes every time there's a SLOW marker in the road.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Plus an extra dab on the brakes every time there's a SLOW marker in the road.....

For which you don't know they are pushing the pedal harder, because the lights are already on!

Wonder why a brake system hasn't been invented, that varies in brightness, depending on how hard it's pressed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

For which you don't know they are pushing the pedal harder, because the lights are already on!

Wonder why a brake system hasn't been invented, that varies in brightness, depending on how hard it's pressed?

Some vehicles activate the hazzards under heavy braking, which I think could confuse - if it flashed the brake lights it would be better.

Durite produce a unit for trailers which does this under heavy braking.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Living in Cornwall, I am well used to finding myself following visitors driving at seemingly unnecessary slow speeds on the open road. I consider myself a patient sort and fully understand that they may not be familiar with the road ahead and are just being cautious. However, I do get a bit frustrated, as we crawl along at 20 mph below the prevailing speed limit, when they find it necessary to brake going up a hill.

It is not as if they are slowing for an obstruction, or to turn off the road, just lifting off the throttle a bit would be enough. I currently drive an automatic and know that braking is more frequent in them than in manuals, but even then I pride myself in not overdoing it. Perhaps they own a company that manufactures brake pads?

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, they continued to drive at 60kmh, so regardless of the signs they travelled at 60kmh. Probably think that they are wonderful drivers because they are so consistent!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

The *Gallows Corner viaduct is the one for drivers braking while going uphill. Here in Basildon the favourite trick is braking when approaching speed cameras even though they are below the limit.

*Built in the 70's as a temporary structure, has been 'upgraded' at least twice since.

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, they continued to drive at 60kmh, so regardless of the signs they travelled at 60kmh. Probably think that they are wonderful drivers because they are so consistent!

Another annoyance is when the driver in front of you does 40 in a 60 zone. Typically, on narrow bendy Cornish roads, there are few opportunities to safely overtake. Then, when reaching a village etc. the driver in question will continue doing 40 whilst I slow down to the specified limit of 30. I may know that there is a bit of straight road after the village, where I could happily get past them, but invariably the gap between us has grown to the point where I cannot possibly catch up before we reach a next stretch of bendy road.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

41 minutes ago, Deeps said:

Another annoyance is when the driver in front of you does 40 in a 60 zone. Typically, on narrow bendy Cornish roads, there are few opportunities to safely overtake. Then, when reaching a village etc. the driver in question will continue doing 40 whilst I slow down to the specified limit of 30. I may know that there is a bit of straight road after the village, where I could happily get past them, but invariably the gap between us has grown to the point where I cannot possibly catch up before we reach a next stretch of bendy road.

The answer to this problem is called a motorcycle...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The answer to this problem is called a motorcycle...

Good idea, and in my teens I had enjoyed number of them, but although I have often considered taking up bike riding again I would be too scared now. Plus, I’m sure the wife wouldn’t tolerate riding pillion, in typical British weather, with a sidecar full of our luggage!

• Friendly/supportive 2

I was out in the garden yesterday afternoon, I dont live that far from traffic lights on the main road and all I can say is that I hope to god many of the drivers passing through were not wearing seat belts and that a tree leaps out in front of them for the sakes of all of us

• Like 2