The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Another moment of satisfaction came from one of the digital channels police-chase programmes last night when an Audi, taken for insane driving and not collected, went into the crusher.

The last shot was of four rather bent circles on the front of the former "vehicle"...  🤣

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Another moment of satisfaction came from one of the digital channels police-chase programmes last night when an Audi, taken for insane driving and not collected, went into the crusher.

:(

It wasn't the Audi's fault it was being driven by an Audi driver.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

9 minutes ago, 30801 said:

:(

It wasn't the Audi's fault it was being driven by an Audi driver.

Audis attract Audi drivers, plonker and machine in perfect harmony...

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Audis attract Audi drivers, plonker and machine in perfect harmony...

Remeber when Audis were advertised as literally not being suitable for massive tools?

• Funny 5

10 hours ago, Nick C said:

Except they're not. Plenty of articles out there about how poor the Tesla build quality is compared with other cars of a similar price range. I remember a few years ago they were showing off one in our local shopping centre, so I wandered over to have a look - the panel gaps were worse than anything BL ever managed!

Plus as has been mentioned earlier, having all the controls on a single touchscreen is not in any way safe - goodness knows how they managed to get that through type approval.

That was true with the California built cars but the Shanghai built RH drive cars sold in the UK are well built, don’t rattle nor have panel gaps.

its another myth that persists.

(I had a2019 California Buikt example and it was poor). I’ve also had Shanghai built examples and can verify 1st hand the improvement.

touchscreen is fine and simple to use once you get used to it.

ive done 255miles so far today in my model 3, much of it in cruise control or self drive mode with a running cost of 3p per mile and an energy use of just over 3.5kwh/mile.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

touchscreen is fine and simple to use once you get used to it.

Simple enough that you can use it without looking at it?

(even if you can, I suspect a large proportion of drivers can't...)

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Lets go back to the days of tactile on/off pushbuttons and sliding lever heater controls and suchlike, it's only a bloody car, it doesn't need to be dripping in excessive electronic wizardry installed by manufacturers purely so they can willy wave.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Round of applause 1

11 minutes ago, Nick C said:

No real reason to touch it whilst driving.

lights are automatic. Wipers are automatic.

sat nav has live traffic updates built in so re-routes as you travel

music / climate control closest part to you and no different to most other cars being no longer buttons and dials.

if I do need to look at it for a few seconds, the car drives itself (full steering & braking capability) though best kept for motorways & trunk roads and not 30mph urban streets.

probably not a car for those that don’t like technology but equally, most cars have similar tech these days no matter size or value.

• Agree 1

If you work with your hands as I do, you'd find that touch screens are an absolute pain in the backside, everything from your phone and tablets to cash machines and cars.

They can't always sense fingers that are in any way dry or calloused, only soft and slightly damp ones.

Like a tree frog with a desk job.

As for touch screens on motorcycles, pull up somewhere safe, take off your gloves... You get the idea.

I prefer clunky switches.

• Agree 11

2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Lets go back to the days of tactile on/off pushbuttons and sliding lever heater controls and suchlike, it's only a bloody car, it doesn't need to be dripping in excessive electronic wizardry installed by manufacturers purely so they can willy wave.

Mike.

But not those bubble switches used on 80s and 90s Fords, replace rear fog light switch every MOT.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If you work with your hands as I do, you'd find that touch screens are an absolute pain in the backside, everything from your phone and tablets to cash machines and cars.

They can't always sense fingers that are in any way dry or calloused, only soft and slightly damp ones.

Like a tree frog with a desk job.

As for touch screens on motorcycles, pull up somewhere safe, take off your gloves... You get the idea.

I prefer clunky switches.

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

But not those bubble switches used on 80s and 90s Fords, replace rear fog light switch every MOT.

S'funny, it was your good lady and self I had in mind when writing that comment!

Mike.

Fellow member of the sausage finger club.

• Funny 2

20 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

S'funny, it was your good lady and self I had in mind when writing that comment!

Mike.

Fellow member of the sausage finger club.

Such a confusing array of switches on the Triumph...

897-47-small.jpg.de83a34a63efffb2e0737c9178c4e27a.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Such a confusing array of switches on the Triumph...

897-47-small.jpg.de83a34a63efffb2e0737c9178c4e27a.jpg

You had to ask your co-pilot to put the wipers on?  🤔

🤪

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, 30801 said:

Remeber when Audis were advertised as literally not being suitable for massive tools?

Yes, he's the sort to buy a Porsche 911 instead, take his new girlfriend out for Sunday lunch somewhere in the countryside to impress her, and wrap the pair of them around a tree on the way back...

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

You had to ask your co-pilot to put the wipers on?  🤔

🤪

No. The forward gunner does it. 🤪

Fortunately, the car is only sixty inches wide across the bumpers, so "the controls are within comfortable reach" as the Autocar reviews used to say.😆

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Yes, he's the sort to buy a Porsche 911 instead, take his new girlfriend out for Sunday lunch somewhere in the countryside to impress her, and wrap the pair of them around a tree on the way back...

I remember someone similar who demolished a telephone pole with a new Mazda RX doing just that. 

As often happens he was walking wounded, she died at the scene.

• Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

No. The forward gunner does it. 🤪

Fortunately, the car is only sixty inches wide across the bumpers, so "the controls are within comfortable reach" as the Autocar reviews used to say.😆

I remember seeing a Herald passing a line of parked cars, the offside was comfortably within the centreline of the road.  A mumsie SUV following it overhung the line by a couple of feet...

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I remember someone similar who demolished a telephone pole with a new Mazda RX doing just that. 

As often happens he was walking wounded, she died at the scene.

The Devil must have had further plans for the bu@@er.

• Like 3

Electronics?  Touchscreens?  Remember when things were simple - to operate and mend?

My first car was a Mini Traveller.  Two switches (one for headlights , one for wipers), heater, choke and the pushbutton on right for the screen washer.  Dip switch was a foot operated button beside the clutch pedal.

Simplicity and it worked.  As for navigating, there was (and still is) the good old road atlas.

My next car will be older, not newer.  The downside will be that the seats will not be as comfortable for my ageing frame.

Minidashboard.jpg.a03692d0584f33b9c593432b19499b94.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, davidbr said:

Electronics?  Touchscreens?  Remember when things were simple - to operate and mend?

My first car was a Mini Traveller.  Two switches (one for headlights , one for wipers), heater, choke and the pushbutton on right for the screen washer.  Dip switch was a foot operated button beside the clutch pedal.

The citroen Ami today has an equivalent level of complexity. I just wish they were an actual car and not a quadricycle limited to 28mph.

• Friendly/supportive 2

47 minutes ago, 30801 said:

The citroen Ami today has an equivalent level of complexity. I just wish they were an actual car and not a quadricycle limited to 28mph.

My wife used to own a 2CV and many a time I had it off the clock which meant over 70.  I once overtook a Ferrari on the M5.  Felt I ought to have drawn a small Ferrari on the driver's door, like the fighter pilots did.

(The Ferrari was pootling in the middle lane, but I can still say I overtook one in a 2CV!!)

Edited by davidbr
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, davidbr said:

My wife used to own a 2CV and many a time I had it off the clock which meant over 70.  I once overtook a Ferrari on the M5.  Felt I ought to have drawn a small Ferrari on the driver's door, like the fighter pilots did.

(The Ferrari was pootling in the middle lane, but I can still say I overtook one in a 2CV!!)

Literally an advertised feature of the 2CV

266344be-citroen-2cv-1_thumb25255b125255d.jpg.af0c15fa5e4ff89ff2f3ad0b9d44ff68.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 6