The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Reorte said:

What on earth happens to a tyre to make it do that?

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Probably a remould where the carcase has not been prepared properly or more likely should not have been used in the first place due to damage, also the retread has not been vulcanised properly. In this instance the tyre walls were damaged (slashed?). The blisters usually appear instantly and can be dangerous. A good few years ago there was a fatal accident caused by such a tyre where the blister 'popped' on the tread of a car doing 70 mph and it flipped the car over.

16 minutes ago, davidbr said:

Photoshop???

No, as I explained above.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

According from a website I've just checked, all new cars in the UK from 7th July 2022 have to have had a black box fitted. Many cars have had them for some years.

So gradually everyone will have a tell all in the car.

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

According from a website I've just checked, all new cars in the UK from 7th July 2022 have to have had a black box fitted. Many cars have had them for some years.

That one had passed me by. Another reason to be extremely depressed about the suspicious, untrusting, disrespectful, intrusive excuse of a world we now live in. God I hate it, it's all so dehumanising. No doubt the usual suspects will turn up shortly to berate me for not finding everything we do being monitored a wonderful prospect.

Hoping that in a few years conversions of ordinary, bog-standard current or slightly older cars (let's say 15-20 years old) to electric will be practical and affordable. Without the past rust problems that should give a platform that should last indefinitely, without all the modern "features" I'd much rather do without.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Hoping that in a few years conversions of ordinary, bog-standard current or slightly older cars (let's say 15-20 years old) to electric will be practical and affordable. Without the past rust problems that should give a platform that should last indefinitely, without all the modern "features" I'd much rather do without.

By that time EV's will be obsolete themselves as other technology is perfected.

IMHO anyone who converts Series Land Rovers to electric should be tortured, then electrocuted........

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

No sign of that happening anywhere I can see. Hydrogen might be applicable in some situations but in general it's hard to not see it as simply adding an extra layer of inefficiency. I'd actually expect hydrogen trains rather than cars, since at least that would save the expense of the installation and maintenance of OHLE, whereas it's hard to see where the saving is for road vehicles.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

IMHO anyone who converts Series Land Rovers to electric should be tortured, then electrocuted........

They will be!

Mike.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

No sign of that happening anywhere I can see. Hydrogen might be applicable in some situations but in general it's hard to not see it as simply adding an extra layer of inefficiency. I'd actually expect hydrogen trains rather than cars, since at least that would save the expense of the installation and maintenance of OHLE, whereas it's hard to see where the saving is for road vehicles.

The "saving" in running costs of EV's will diminish as time goes on - as the revenue into HMG's coffers reduces due to the takeup of EV's they will then start to add road fund licence (already starting to be charged) & of course electricity will attract "fuel" dury &/or VAT to make up for that loss. You won't get away from it either at home - your so called "smart" meter will grass you up (maybe your car will too) & of course electricity will go up through market forces.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Reorte said:

That one had passed me by. Another reason to be extremely depressed about the suspicious, untrusting, disrespectful, intrusive excuse of a world we now live in. God I hate it, it's all so dehumanising. No doubt the usual suspects will turn up shortly to berate me for not finding everything we do being monitored a wonderful prospect.

So, if you are involved in an accident then you dont want investigators to be able to find out exactly what happened?

Driving is a licenced activity not a right and it carries the potential to cause death or serious injury.  If someone is driving like a we have the right to know so appropriate action can be taken.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

So, if you are involved in an accident then you dont want investigators to be able to find out exactly what happened?

Driving is a licenced activity not a right and it carries the potential to cause death or serious injury.  If someone is driving like a we have the right to know so appropriate action can be taken.

If the only way they can find out is to be recording everything myself and everyone else does then no, I wouldn't. I'd prefer to take my chances. And not because I want to drive like a *$@"! either (I don't).

Since the way the world is means that it's impossible for a large proportion of the population not to drive the idea of being recorded doing a basic, ordinary part of every day life is something I'm deeply uncomfortable with. It's not a sign of a healthy, tolerant, respectful society.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

The "saving" in running costs of EV's will diminish as time goes on - as the revenue into HMG's coffers reduces due to the takeup of EV's they will then start to add road fund licence (already starting to be charged) & of course electricity will attract "fuel" dury &/or VAT to make up for that loss. You won't get away from it either at home - your so called "smart" meter will grass you up (maybe your car will too) & of course electricity will go up through market forces.

I've never been interested in electric cars because of any savings, just simply because burning the current amount of petrol and diesel doesn't have a long-term future.

No "smart" meter here and no desire to have one (see my post above this one). But electric cars look like being the future, and it's one of the few things about the future I find quite positive. How the tax etc. aspects of them are managed, rather the opposite, but that's not a fundamental feature of the technology, just how we (mis)use it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

They've been there for decades. Think basic event logging like you find in any control unit.

They can and have been used as evidence in prosecutions just the same as the length of skid marks etc. All the legislation is doing is standardising things.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

If someone is driving like a we have the right to know so appropriate action can be taken.

Are you related to Cycling Mikey by any chance ????

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

One of my few muted people on Twitter along with vine (and I’m a cyclist!) 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst waiting at some traffic lights yesterday I looked across at the and saw someones brake pad laying lonely on the road. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

They will be!

Mike.

There is at least one such Land Rover. The owner has fitted an electric motor in place of the gearbox and filled the under bonnet space and under the seats where the fuel tank resided with batteries. Having done all of that he then discovered that the fastest it would go was 18 mph. He just might as well have got a milk float.

• Funny 6

5 hours ago, Reorte said:

I think you need to go a lot further back than that, certain German Marques have had journey & data recorders for over 10 years, often in key fob.

take the car for a service and they plug the key fob into a reader and it brings up the cars vital statistics. I’ve always been amazed at it. Think it can hold something like last 30mins of journey.

Most cars are electronics boxes with wheels no matter what propulsion system the employ.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

If someone is driving like a we have the right to know so appropriate action can be taken.

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

1 hour ago, big jim said:

What about fitting bicycles with black boxes?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is at least one such Land Rover. The owner has fitted an electric motor in place of the gearbox and filled the under bonnet space and under the seats where the fuel tank resided with batteries. Having done all of that he then discovered that the fastest it would go was 18 mph. He just might as well have got a milk float.

You just need to do it proper.

This is from five years ago and IIRC it has the same weight & balance as it did when it was petrol.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My car shares the data automatically, had the brake wear warning come up the other day, the following morning had an email from the dealership saying would you like to book it in. TBH I’m not sure how I feel about that, what else it’s sharing and who with.

I do like some of the driving aids though, are they needed - almost definitely not but I wouldn’t go without now. Automatic gearbox, dynamic cruise control, multi beam head lights (these create a gap in the lights for the car in front, or the car coming towards you - best lights I’ve had in a car for visibility).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

My car shares the data automatically, had the brake wear warning come up the other day, the following morning had an email from the dealership saying would you like to book it in. TBH I’m not sure how I feel about that, what else it’s sharing and who with.

I do like some of the driving aids though, are they needed - almost definitely not but I wouldn’t go without now. Automatic gearbox, dynamic cruise control, multi beam head lights (these create a gap in the lights for the car in front, or the car coming towards you - best lights I’ve had in a car for visibility).

I quite like the idea of dynamic cruise control, not sure about the rest though. I've noticed more often people come around a corner with full beam right in my face before doing anything, and I've wondered if that's down to those sorts of lights.

3 hours ago, big jim said:

Ditto. I'm also a cyclist and I find the pair of them embarrassing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

They will be!

Mike.

Why, do they still have Lucas 'Prince of Darkness' electrics in them?

• Funny 2