The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

On 09/11/2023 at 20:49, Coldgunner said:

For anyone who has a vague interest in tearing their own eyes out, there's a new Capri EV coming

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/361455/new-ford-capri-spied-testing-first-time

On 09/11/2023 at 20:53, 30801 said:

Wow. They really captured the looks of the original.

It just struck me, perhaps we're thinking of the wrong "Capri".

There was also the Consul Capri

Ford_Classic_two_door_registered_March_1963_1498_cc.JPG.87a3965ca90287075e06bbf882b57bcc.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Consul_Classic

which was available 1961-64.

A bit more "porky" than the 70s car, though still not as much as an eyesore as the test mule!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

It just struck me, perhaps we're thinking of the wrong "Capri".

There was also the Consul Capri

Ford_Classic_two_door_registered_March_1963_1498_cc.JPG.87a3965ca90287075e06bbf882b57bcc.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Consul_Classic

which was available 1961-64.

A bit more "porky" than the 70s car, though still not as much as an eyesore as the test mule!

That is a Consul Classic not a Capri, the Consul Capri was a coupe.

image.png.c82b06e2c3d4c7b40191a32ca4df92b4.png

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

That is a Consul Classic not a Capri, the Consul Capri was a coupe.

image.png.c82b06e2c3d4c7b40191a32ca4df92b4.png

I thought the Capri designation just indicated that it was the two door variant.  Ford were funny about differentiating the doors, "Tudor" and "Fordor", for example...

• Funny 3

I think what they did with the Mustang, and now the Capri names is incredibly poor, like trampling all over your own company heritage while trying to use that name in the same marketing ploy. They're not 'new' Capri's/Mustangs, they're crappy EV SUV's with a badge slapped on them. I'm incredibly cynical about the whole thing, and feel like the motor industry is heading towards nothing but generic boxes now. Everything looks like an SUV or SUV Crossover, the jack of all trades and master of none.

Want something to munch the miles - get a saloon

Want something to carry loads of stuff/pets - get the estate

Want a shopping cart/runabout - get a small hatchback

Want to go offroading - get a proper 4x4

Yeah I'm generalising, but the SUV trend does my nut in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

You overlook that consumers like to follow trends and show off their ability to buy the latest fashionable item, be it a smartphone, car, RTR model locomotive, or w.h.y.

Estate cars have largely fallen from favour in the small/mid size car range, despite their practicality. Three box saloons fell from favour when hatchbacks were introduced, other than for the larger "prestige" models. Saloons can be difficult to get into/out of for older people. SUVs are easier in that respect and have higher load platforms (two reasons I now prefer a SUV). Small hatchbacks are ideal local runabouts but not so much fun on longer journeys. 4X4s appeal to the the affluent trendy and overpaid as a display of their self perceived status.

So SUVs provide a compromise that suits many people.

Regarding vehicle names, many people won't know of the original models of the Capri, so won't see any connection (unless Ford promote that). The original was a striking design at the time when previous designs often had touches of US influence (both Ford and Vauxhall) and the industry was still recovering from the effects of WW2. Likewise the designers weren't influenced/hampered by safety legislation, mpg economy comparisons, cupholder requirement, etc.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

I think what they did with the Mustang, and now the Capri names is incredibly poor, like trampling all over your own company heritage while trying to use that name in the same marketing ploy. They're not 'new' Capri's/Mustangs, they're crappy EV SUV's with a badge slapped on them. I'm incredibly cynical about the whole thing, and feel like the motor industry is heading towards nothing but generic boxes now. Everything looks like an SUV or SUV Crossover, the jack of all trades and master of none.

Yeah I'm generalising, but the SUV trend does my nut in.

Microsoft are notorious for reusing product names. Office and Outlook comes to mind.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Coldgunner said:

As much as I still don't like it, its at least in keeping with what the R5 once was. Is it AWD?

In what sense in keeping? It doesn't look much like the one I vaguely remember us having when I was very small, but it seems designed to fit the same role.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Reorte said:

In what sense in keeping? It doesn't look much like the one I vaguely remember us having when I was very small, but it seems designed to fit the same role.

To me it looks like it retains some of the design cue's from the original, the slab fronted 2-door hatchback design. Obviously chunkified a bit to accommodate modern safety standards.

edit: on a second look, to me it looks like the EV should have the lights the other way, with the square's on top and the slits below.

image.png.dc612e8cc6e0568b49959fe110351278.png

Edited by Coldgunner
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Just in time, I've fitted a full set of winter tyres to my van for at least two trips to Germany in the next couple of months, where they are legally required, the Ford heated windscreen, mirrors and seats will be much appreciated.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, 30801 said:

I saw that on the News, what a complete pratt!  I'm no Chicken for many things - BUT!! - the very idea of taking a car down the road, with the visibility of a Tank Driver, scares the H*ll out of me!

{NB.  I do know what he visibility for a Tank Driver is, I was invited to have half a day driving a Chieftain.  I was also driving behind one, in Berlin, and witnessed a woman, in a small car draw up the right-hand side of a Chieftain, at some traffic lights, onto a main road.  When the lights went Green, the Tank Driver drove forward, sufficient to have space to turn right and hauled on the Right-hand lever!!  She wasn't quite so quick off the mark, lucky for her! She had only reached the front Idler Wheel when he turned, so the tracks went up and over the car bonnet.  It was a very close thing, as there was nothing left attached in front of the Bulkhead and one very scared, screaming lady.}

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, 30801 said:

The front of my house faces north and at this time of year receives no sun whatsoever. On a frosty day such as last Saturday the car was still iced up until lunchtime. So when I went to use the car I spent ten minutes scraping the ice off of the windows.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The front of my house faces north and at this time of year receives no sun whatsoever. On a frosty day such as last Saturday the car was still iced up until lunchtime. So when I went to use the car I spent ten minutes scraping the ice off of the windows.

My car was in the garage on Saturday, with me having a car borrowed from the garage. When it was time to pick mine up the window on the borrowed car was still iced up. And my scraper was still in my own car (not hard to find something else suitable, but still a bit of a "drat!" moment).

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

{NB.  I do know what he visibility for a Tank Driver is, I was invited to have half a day driving a Chieftain.  I was also driving behind one, in Berlin, and witnessed a woman, in a small car draw up the right-hand side of a Chieftain, at some traffic lights, onto a main road.  When the lights went Green, the Tank Driver drove forward, sufficient to have space to turn right and hauled on the Right-hand lever!!  She wasn't quite so quick off the mark, lucky for her! She had only reached the front Idler Wheel when he turned, so the tracks went up and over the car bonnet.  It was a very close thing, as there was nothing left attached in front of the Bulkhead and one very scared, screaming lady.}

I thought that when on the road there was a ' spotter' up high with a good all round view

to prevent that happening .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I now start the car or Landrover before I go open the driveway gate, it's amazing how's that little extra time makes it easier to defrost the screen..

The shape of the new Capri may be nothing like that picture, I remember the "New Defender", was spotted several times before release, but was wearing dummy panels over the real body..

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

My car was in the garage on Saturday, with me having a car borrowed from the garage. When it was time to pick mine up the window on the borrowed car was still iced up. And my scraper was still in my own car (not hard to find something else suitable, but still a bit of a "drat!" moment).

I find a jug of water cold even will clear it nicely.  Certainly though never hotter than tepid unless you want a new windscreen

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

One advantage of the scraper is that it removes any muck from the windscreen along with the ice.

I gave up on scrapers as I always ended up putting scratches in the screen.