Holiday visit to Cornwall - any advice on places to go?

Gilbert

The source of granite, copper, tin and china clay

Or, to quote Steve Knightley:

"where the copper, the clay, the arsenic & tin run in your blood & get under your skin"

and

"this land is barren & broken, scarred like the face of the moon"

In many places the coastline is spectacular, the interior harsh.  A county of contrasts but no matter how often you see it, it always shows you something different.

Almost as nice as its eastern neighbour  .  .  .  .

post-21098-0-78339000-1440718681.jpg

Agree with Jonny

Brian.

If you want a non-railway day, and some relative peace and quiet, try the Roseland peninsular. It is lovely, especially the coastline.

Drive to St Mawes and you can take a ferry either to St Anthony on the other side of the narrow estuary, or a longer ferry trip to Falmouth, from where it is a decent walk up to Pendennis Point.

If you stop in the little car park at St Just In Roseland, you can walk down through the churchyard to the Fal Estuary, one of the nicest short walks I have had in many a year.

er, Wales?

Ed

Yes, absolutely.

I spent a week in west Pembrokeshire in June, and it was just like Cornwall; rugged coastlines, narrow country lanes, picturesque coastal villages.

However, there was one big difference - far less traffic. This meant that a journey along very narrow roads with high hedges was much more relaxing as the chances of meeting anyone coming the other way was small, let alone the hooray henry's in 4x4s who flatly refuse to reverse into the passing place just behind them, who pervade Cornwall (and the Lake District in my experience) at busy times of year.

• RMweb Premium

However, there was one big difference - far less traffic. This meant that a journey along very narrow roads with high hedges was much more relaxing as the chances of meeting anyone coming the other way was small, let alone the hooray henry's in 4x4s who flatly refuse to reverse into the passing place just behind them, who pervade Cornwall (and the Lake District in my experience) at busy times of year.

I met one of those in Wales last week. Drove past a passing spot then refused to reverse the 10ft to get back into it. 

I don't think anyone has said the Camel Trail hire a bike it relatively flat as it runs on the old Bodmin and Wadebridge track bed. It has a few attractions Camel Valley vineyard and Rick Stine's fish and chips at Padstow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks to all for their suggestions - we had a cracking holiday and here are a few railway related fotos:

Panniers on the Bodmin Steam Railway

post-1107-0-01865500-1442079727_thumb.jpg

Railway memorial at St Just Church

post-1107-0-26044400-1442079753_thumb.jpg

A lucky find as we went to our hotel - Britannia at Par on the Royal Duchy

post-1107-0-66175500-1442079766_thumb.jpg

An ex Penrhyn Quarry Hunslet at the fantastic Launceston Steam Railway

post-1107-0-15375700-1442079787_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Really glad you had a good time. Looks like you had good weather too. Lovely photo's, do you have any more?

Ed

42xx at Bodmin

post-1107-0-85126600-1442085342_thumb.jpg

Back of Launceston Station

post-1107-0-86260600-1442085373_thumb.jpg

Another Hunslet - Dorothea

post-1107-0-38783200-1442085415_thumb.jpg

some weathered wood at St Just boatyard for the Craftsman kit fraternity...

post-1107-0-68012100-1442085441_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Managed to overlook this topic until after it's "Use By" date, sorry, but the salient points were covered by those who know the area as well as I do.

My advice to first-time visitors is to discard any and al "to do" lists and to understand that there is so much to see and do that you'd need a lifetime and leave it incomplete.  Set out each day to achieve a maximum of two "things" (places, visits, whatever) and add in anything along the way that takes your fancy.  That way you're not restricted, frustrated nor disappointed if things including the weather and traffic don't run in your favour and you leave more for another time.

For what it's worth I am currently hoping to show a neighbour around next year.  Coincidentally with my annual visit she is over and planning a working summer holiday before heading off to Holland (as she's a Dutch Australian that makes sense) to start university.  We would have four days and I can fill those and far more within a six-mile radius of Penzance.  That excludes Lands End (9 miles or so) other than seeing it from the top of an ancient hill fort (Chapel Carn Brea) but includes the (reputed) 6th Century Mermaid of Zennor stories and relics, some of the best beaches in the world and a night at the Minack Theatre perched on the cliff edge, back by the sea and open to the elements.  On a stormy night it's the best place I can think of if The Tempest is on!!!

I can relate stories of ghostly happenings including from first-hand events and can show one of few graves in consecrated ground to be marked by the pirate skull and crossbones insignia.  There's plenty of reasonable food and drink to enjoy.  I can even speak a few words (and understand rather more) of the local language.   There's more than enough in Cornwall for one lifetime let alone a brief visit.  Slow right down, smell the flowers and take Cornwall at its own pace.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.  

My experience of Cornwall dates from a time when there was no real agreement what the Cornish language even consisted of, it had been functionally extinct for over two centuries.... however, a few things worth seeing;

Pendeen area, including the preserved head frame at Wheal Geevor, the Crowns engine houses at Botallack and (once a month) the steam engine at Levant.

The Mine Tramway trail, around the Stithians/Camborne area

Morwenna Quay, in the Beamish style

Morwellham Quay.  Strictly that's in Devon though it's only a few yards across the Tamar from Cornwall.

Predictive text is a curse..... here's some railway trivia. The mining contractor for the "mine train ride" was Robin Daniels; the same Robin Daniels who was one if the miners who drove the tunnel at the FR, and whose brother Charlie has a long association with the TR

• RMweb Premium

If you like a beer on your travels I can recommend the Tinners Arms in Zennor, minibus service operates all year round, and The Admiral Benbow in Penzance, complete with musket toting smuggler on the roof and amazing galleon decor in the dining room! Other hostelries are available.... and if you're passing Camborne I've heard there is a great model railway shop there, on Trelowarren St. Enjoy your visit whatever you choose to do, I will be there again in three weeks time, can't wait.

• RMweb Premium

Personally I find the Admiral Benbow in Penzance is not a drinkers pub - it's geared up to be a restaurant with only a very small bar area usually filled by a handful of locals.  That said it does a decent pint (range of several real ales) but the food when I've been in has been a bit average.

Pubs come and go depending upon tenant / manager but last year the Coldstreamer at Gulval, just outside Penzance, was a good bet for both food and drink.  The Star in St. Just (near Penzance and with a handy midnight bus back) is a true locals drinking spot with a fine range of ales but doesn't offer food.  It's been the home of off-duty miners for generations and still is even now there's no mining taking place.  

The Bird in Hand, Hayle (attached to Paradise Park) brews its own which can be an acquired taste as does the famous Blue Anchor in Helston whose ales are potent, slightly sweet and have an uncanny ability to suddenly knock you for six just when you're enjoying them!  Both do a limited range of food and there are again late night buses to some surrounding towns meaning you don't need the car.

Cornwall is well blessed with good pubs many of which also provide good meals.  Everyone has their own favourite. 

Archived