Holiday visit to Cornwall - any advice on places to go?

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

I'm off for a late summer break in Cornwall  in early September with my other half and we will be staying in St Austell - I see that Par is quite close by and as I will definitely have some time to myself I wondered about Par and other railway locations to see (and at what times?) plus any other suggestions for interesting things to do and see - I am hoping our trip down on the 6th will include a short detour to the Bodmin for the Rails and Ale event....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Chris

Hi Chris,

Depending on how much time you can spare, a Ride Cornwall rail ticket is amazing value for £10, covering all of the lines in Cornwall and including Plymouth and the Gunnislake branch. If you have a whole day you can pretty much do all the lines - a long day though! It's a great way to see Cornwall and it's surviving railway infrastructure.

Hope this helps,

Mike

• RMweb Premium

The St Ives branch, it's lovely. St Ives is not bad either. 

If you do St Michael's Mount try to get the boat one way and walk the other, doesn't matter which way round you do it. This can easily be combined with a walk from Marazion to Penzance taking you past Long Rock. 

Not railway but you will be close to Charlestown which I found interesting.

The old dock area there has remained undeveloped and is used for filming.

The Square Sail company operate ships from there, there have been a couple in dock when we visited.

The Shipwreck & Heritage centre is worth a visit.

There is evidence of the old narrow gauge tracks along the dockside formerly used to export china clay,

cheers 

There are so many places to visit here in Gods country you could take your wife shopping inTruro,take a drive along the north coast and see some of the best beaches in the country.A visit to Penzance station would be worthwhile Truro station also,park your car inST.Earth station and get the train to St.Ives a lovely ride when you get on board sit on the right for the best views.Have a good visit Roger

If you've never been to Par then it is a lovely little junction station, but with little traffic compared to a few years ago. You can walk round to St Blazey and see most of the depot and yard. I'd take the train to Newquay (but then I'm biased) although it's not pretty like the St Ives line and takes an hour and a bit each way. Then again the Liskeard-Looe trip is fascinating, and the line to Gunnislake runs through my favourite bit of the country...

How long have you got? Oh, bu66er it, get the rover tickets, take a few days to do it and break your journey at fabulous places like Truro, St Ives, Looe (can't in all honesty recommend Newquay!). Definitely the Bodmin & Wenford, I haven't seen the Helston project yet so can't comment except that it could do with more support. You can do virtually all of this by train and leave the car in Snozzle.

Ed

For something really different, how about the Liskeard and Caradon Railway. No railway now except for the remains, huts, granite blocks instead of sleepers, etc, and the remains of mines and quarries which it served as well as the connection at Moorswater.  The scenery from the top most areas are spectacular with views in every direction.  Mind you, you have to like archaeological and industrial history as there's not much railway left.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

The museum and model railway at Mevagissey is worth a visit if in the town.

Whilst not of the highest modelling quality, it is easily as good as the ones at Buckfastleigh or, dare I say Pecorama. The collections of locos and other exhibits are also worth more than a cursory glance. The shop is not the biggest, but they do sell their own produced 009 models.

Other than that, any of the NT or English Heritage properties, Heligan, Trebah Garden ( on the Helford River) and of couse Eden.

If you want a non-railway day, and some relative peace and quiet, try the Roseland peninsular. It is lovely, especially the coastline.

Drive to St Mawes and you can take a ferry either to St Anthony on the other side of the narrow estuary, or a longer ferry trip to Falmouth, from where it is a decent walk up to Pendennis Point.

If you stop in the little car park at St Just In Roseland, you can walk down through the churchyard to the Fal Estuary, one of the nicest short walks I have had in many a year.

I'm off for a late summer break in Cornwall  in early September with my other half and we will be staying in St Austell - I see that Par is quite close by and as I will definitely have some time to myself I wondered about Par and other railway locations to see (and at what times?) 

For Par, if you want a punt, try 6am to 8am on Wednesday, and 2pm-5pm on Thursday, doing both slots should get you a reasonable sampling of things other than 150/153/HST/Voyager which you can see anytime...

Saturdays the sleeper 57 takes a short loco hauled set to Exeter, ECS to Par arrives 11.16, departs Par at 11.25 for Plymouth. The return leg is fairly late in the evening though.

Lostwithiel is a nice alternative to Par, similarly endowed with plenty of interesting GWR signals, and if it's a weekday where Fowey trains are running (sorry no guarantees) then the runround moves give you a bit more action.

Don't forget to check Realtime Trains if you have internet access to see if there are any STP additional moves.

Can I put in a word for Launceston.  The Launceston Steam Railway has several Hunslet engines in working order, a regular service up the Kensey valley in September and a small transport museum.  In the Laurence House Museum near the town centre there is model (3mm scale) of the Southern station in Launceston.  Not working now I'm afraid.  Excellent pasties to be had from Warren's butchery at Pennygillam industrial estate just off the A30.  They also produce an interesting range of sausages - Old Cornish recommended.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Not railway, but no-one has mentioned Port Wenn, or Port Isaac as the geographers would call it. Much fancied by all and sundry since Doc Martin, and prices for everything have risen accordingly, including parking, but a jewel of the North Coast for all that. I was last there in 2010, but my first visit was 1957. There was a station, too, and that can be found near the Cornish Arms at Pendoggett. The Treneglos layout featured a similar station, so it has some relevance here.

In the same area is the Delabole slate quarry, while Tintagel and the Arthurian legend are close by, as is Boscastle. A bit of a drive from St Austell, but may be a nice change.

I will second Brian-USA: The entire Liskeard and Looe railway, and the remnants up onto the moor are fascinating. Follow the track bed up to Cheesewrings quarry.

Also, could you pop into Bird Paradise, at Hayle, and report on whether the 15" gauge Lister locomotive "Zebedee" is still in service? ;-) If it is, it might be the oldest internal combustion loco in daily traffic in the UK, because I think it dates from pre-WW2, and it isn't "preserved", just old.

And, look out for the narrow gauge railway to the kitchen larder at St Michael's Mount.

And, the walk from Penzance out to Madron Well, taking in all the various megaliths. Nothing to do with trains, but utterly inspiring.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Basically, you'll need at least a year here to just scratch the surface of this diverse county.

Home to Trevithick, Davy, Bickford & Smith, Richard Lander to name a few. Home to the earliest railways in the world, home to a mining legacy that spanned the world. The longest county coastline in the UK, with the most southerly point in the UK and the most westerly point in England &Wales.The source of granite, copper, tin and china clay that was shipped worldwide. Home to the first transworld communication system, home to the most modern world communication system.

Where else would you go ?

Archived