colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that Peters Spares (available at http://www.petersspares.com/ or via his ebay shop petersspares ) is really excellent. If you need bits such as Markits Smiths or Romford, Hornby spares and the like he's your man. Website looks like he has a good selection of general models too.

I found him via ebay - the plethora of small shops on there is an unsung jewel in the ebay crown. I ordered some bits for a loco I am building from 6 different suppliers, paid by one paypal transaction and already have everything I ordered three working days later. As with Peter, I tend to wait until I have had two or three transactions before doing a recommendation on here by name, as one swallow does not make a summer, but give ebay a go for this sort of stuff. search for buy it now deals and it eliminates all the private auction stuff.

• RMweb Gold

I couldnt comment Mick as they don't have an online shop. I dont have time to muck about with price lists and phone calls. At least on ebay you can search, identify, oder and pay for what you want in minutes, 24/7

The only thing for sale on the EK website is the business so you're right about them retiring but maybe the business will continue under new owners.

Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Premium

I looked at Peter's for some buffers. The package was 4 pounds but shipping overseas was another 7-8 pounds.

Would shipping stay at that level if I ordered a bunch of stuff at once?

• RMweb Gold

I couldnt comment Mick as they don't have an online shop. I dont have time to muck about with price lists and phone calls. At least on ebay you can search, identify, oder and pay for what you want in minutes, 24/7

The only thing for sale on the EK website is the business so you're right about them retiring but maybe the business will continue under new owners.

I have a similar problem that making phone calls at work are ear wigged, even if you whisper, so online ordeung is much easier as I can either do ordering at lunchtime or in the evenings.

One example for peoples info

B1 Loco wheel set X6484

Peters  £36.19

AC        £21

EKM     £13

Worth a slight wait for delivery  IMHO . What is noticeable is that Hornby spares are on a steep price increase, hence my earlier comment re buying asap.

I looked at Peter's for some buffers. The package was 4 pounds but shipping overseas was another 7-8 pounds.

When iv ordered multiple bits postage has been charged and then refunded straight away, cant fault it. The service is very good, little bit more pricey for bits but the ease of ordering off ebay is a plus

• RMweb Gold

No they always discount postage for multiple orders

• Like 1

One example for peoples info

B1 Loco wheel set X6484

Peters  £36.19

AC        £21

EKM     £13

Worth a slight wait for delivery  IMHO . What is noticeable is that Hornby spares are on a steep price increase, hence my earlier comment re buying asap.

Peter's Spares tends to charge about double what the other spares outlets charge. The "problem" you have is that PS seem to have a far greater availability than others and, in some cases, hold spares that nobody else can supply. If you need it.....then you need it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A friend ordered some bits from Peter's and I added on to his order.  We finalized the order on the 15th and it arrived today (24th) in Canada.

Peter's said that the shipping charge was flat up to 50 pounds.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I e-mailed with a query/request for Lima Class 40 buffers almost 3 weeks ago and have to date had absolutely no reply - hence my request in the 'Wanted' section...

A quick search of their sites shows they have Hornby railroad buffers which ought to suffice.

http://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6270-class-40-oval-buffers-railroad-pk4.ir

Be quick though - only 27 left.

Peter's Spares tends to charge about double what the other spares outlets charge. The "problem" you have is that PS seem to have a far greater availability than others and, in some cases, hold spares that nobody else can supply. If you need it.....then you need it!

I notice from P.S.website,that they have bought up all spare parts for Hornby models, from East Kent Models, who I presume have retired.

Just received my parts for 3 X Javelins,power and dummy trailer cars, contacts and wheel sets.

A quick search of their sites shows they have Hornby railroad buffers which ought to suffice.

http://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6270-class-40-oval-buffers-railroad-pk4.ir

Be quick though - only 27 left.

Thanks very much stovepipe - I've ended up ordering replacement Hornby Railroad motor bogies complete for the Lima Cl 40 and also a Lima Cl 31 plus spare buffers as recommended. As it's Saturday I expect to receive them sometime next week. I would also have liked the Railroad dummy complete bogies to go with each but they are temporarily out of stock, so will go back and check if stock has been replenished.

It would be a neat facility to be able to back-order items though.

I e-mailed with a query/request for Lima Class 40 buffers almost 3 weeks ago and have to date had absolutely no reply - hence my request in the 'Wanted' section...

Did you ask for "buffers for a Lima 40" or did you ask for the part number required?

If the first then I can understand him ignoring it as he cant be expected to do the leg work and work out which part numbers you actually want!

Did you ask for "buffers for a Lima 40" or did you ask for the part number required?

If the first then I can understand him ignoring it as he cant be expected to do the leg work and work out which part numbers you actually want!

And if you do not know the part number WTF are you supposed to ask for???

To find the part number, you can go through the relevant service sheets to find it. However, the Service Sheets are not listed under anything as simple as a model identity or similar. It would be nice if these service sheets were arranged in some accessible fashion.

• RMweb Gold

I just put Class 40 in their search engine and the buffers were one of the 40-odd search returns. Searches by part number also work.

I visit their shop from time to time and I would say they are very helpful on the whole, and seem to have a few back-room staff working on their ebay sales. I think they deserve some credit too for remanufacturing obsolete parts like the X04 motor brushes and spring clips etc.

http://www.petersspares.com/spares-peters-spares-spares.irc

• Like 1

You look through the service sheets or failing that you go through all the buffers until you see the ones that look like the ones you want and then order them, it aint difficult, well at least it isnt for most people!

If you cant be bothered why the hell should he waste his time doing the leg work for you.

Edited by royaloak

• 2 years later...