Bachmann announce Class 117 and Class 121 at Collectors Club event

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

The newer 150s, that will come out in 2021, will have passengers fitted, if they sell it might become commonplace. Although, I believe the regional railways mk2A which have them, haven’t sold well.

I think that’s because they were weathered myself.

Had they had been pristine, I reckon interest would have been greater.

I hope the 150’s come with a driver, as a Driverless train with passengers would look interesting.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, dibber25 said:

The picture - and the piece of movie - shows how desperately these models need a driver. I know manufacturers have resisted this for years on cost grounds but I'd happily pay good money not to have to open the model up - and try to find a driver figure that will actually fit without having to start by cutting the seat out etc. (CJL)

I haven't attempted to fit a driver, but certainly on the 121 the bodyshell removal is straightforward and rather less prone to detail-damage etc. than many contemporary models. Fitting the Plux 22 was relatively easy, too. I consider these models have taken design, as distinct from detailing, forward by several steps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Just looking at that picture of the interior, I seem to recall that the button directly in front of the driver was the GWR ATC cancelling button. Was the same button used for the BR AWS? I recall watching the driver cancel the ATC as we romped through Sonning cutting with semaphore signals and the old ATC ramps. I remember the 'cone' of the brake being red - or was it the actual brake handle that was red. The picture - and the piece of movie - shows how desperately these models need a driver. I know manufacturers have resisted this for years on cost grounds but I'd happily pay good money not to have to open the model up - and try to find a driver figure that will actually fit without having to start by cutting the seat out etc. (CJL)

From what I can remember the reset button wasn't changed when they were converted to AWS but I'm not at all sure where the 'sunflower' was positioned.   The cone of the brake valve, on which the handle sat, was definitely black but something in the back of my mind suggests there was also a brake setter in the cab and that was definitely red.

15 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

My Legomanbiffo plux22 arrived today from Charlie and I was wondering about leaving the ESU sugar cube attached durdctly to the chip as well as utilising the Bachmann fitted speakers (which are of course hard wired from the decoder socket).  Anyone tried this?  Any reason not to do it this way? Will it reduce the volume overall (I’ve got a feeling it may).

Sorry for delay in my reply, the Plux 22 V5 will take upto 3 Sugarcube Speakers in Parallel at 80% volume level so no issues with using the speaker that is attached with ite sound chamber kit, just make 100% sure the chamber is completely sealed, if not the speaker will appear crackly.

It is also possible to use a better small 8Ohm speaker and attach this to the decoder, the one I used was put in the front of the Brake Van out of sight.

I used this one:  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=223_75&product_id=404

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, dibber25 said:

JI know manufacturers have resisted this for years on cost grounds but I'd happily pay good money not to have to open the model up - and try to find a driver figure that will actually fit without having to start by cutting the seat out etc. (CJL)

I agree Chris - I put a driver (Monty's models) at either end of the 117, had to take the seat out, and cut off the lower torso of the figures.  Looks O.K. when  the loco body is back on, but don't think it is possible to get a suitable driving figure which does not require surgery to fit.   

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Gopher said:

cut off the lower torso of the figures...... don't think it is possible to get a suitable driving figure which does not require surgery to fit.   

For seated drivers and passengers the removal of everything below the lower abdomen is normal.  

I haven't yet found a use for all the off-cut legs and lower abdominal areas which seems to be a bit of a waist. ;)

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Groan button please - NOW!

There is a temptation to use the new applause button in ironic mode, much as I have been known to give "informative/useful" for things that are precisely the opposite. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I haven't attempted to fit a driver, but certainly on the 121 the bodyshell removal is straightforward and rather less prone to detail-damage etc. than many contemporary models. Fitting the Plux 22 was relatively easy, too. I consider these models have taken design, as distinct from detailing, forward by several steps.

I found the body shell of my class 121 straightforward to remove, just eight or so slips or styrene along the edges and the body lifted away without resistance. For some reason, I found this much easier here than doing the same with my Hornby class 153, with much the same body fixings.

On the 121, the use a single pcb to hold the various lights for the cabs and passenger compartment is surely a great step forward, it banishes so much of the factory wiring we have put up with for so long. This is my first model with a frame-mounted motor driving one bogie (not two), but it seems to work and the motor is out of sight. It is nice to see one of the mainstream manufacturers taking a few steps back from the way they have done it before and taking some fresh approaches.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

From what I can remember the reset button wasn't changed when they were converted to AWS but I'm not at all sure where the 'sunflower' was positioned.   The cone of the brake valve, on which the handle sat, was definitely black but something in the back of my mind suggests there was also a brake setter in the cab and that was definitely red.

From memory, and I may be remembering different cabs from different time periods, but I thought the Sunflower was in a rounded-top 'box' in the middle close to the handbrake wheel. (As an aside I listened, once, to a woman explaining to her small child that the handbrake wheel was the 'steering wheel'. The child wasn't interested enough to ask why the driver wasn't holding it!) Yes, you're right, the cone of the brake valve was black, with a deep score mark around the base, where the handle clipped in place. Wish I could remember what it was that was red so I can tweak the paintwork in the cab when I open mine up. Also, I wonder if the green one has the big phone (was it called a LOUDAPHONE?) mounted on the right side of the driver's chair. I seem to think these disappeared when the units were refurbished, or maybe before. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a DVD by Video 125 called "The Chiltern Bubble Cars", here are two vidcaps for the present discussion

The film shows all I could hope to know about bubble cars and I think it is worth buying if you want to add detail to one of these models. The only limitation is of course it shows them in their final state.

https://www.video125.com/products/chiltern-bubble-cars?_pos=1&_sid=35e95711c&_ss=r

- Richard.

vlcsnap-2020-07-26-15h18m03s517.jpg.23a6ccd89632f68a160b66fa08354794.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-07-26-15h19m44s061.jpg.06cfbdbe757e39d526c95e6ec12eba03.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

From memory, and I may be remembering different cabs from different time periods, but I thought the Sunflower was in a rounded-top 'box' in the middle close to the handbrake wheel. (As an aside I listened, once, to a woman explaining to her small child that the handbrake wheel was the 'steering wheel'. The child wasn't interested enough to ask why the driver wasn't holding it!) Yes, you're right, the cone of the brake valve was black, with a deep score mark around the base, where the handle clipped in place. Wish I could remember what it was that was red so I can tweak the paintwork in the cab when I open mine up. Also, I wonder if the green one has the big phone (was it called a LOUDAPHONE?) mounted on the right side of the driver's chair. I seem to think these disappeared when the units were refurbished, or maybe before. (CJL)

I think it was the emergency brake valve that was painted red located to the right of the handbrake (see pic). From memory, wasn't the GWR type ATC attached to a panel to the right of the driving seat just inside the door from the saloon? IIRC this was basically the same as that on steam locos and was cancelled by a leaver on its side. The push button on the desk came with AWS - the units were dual fitted for some time.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, dibber25 said:

the Sunflower was in a rounded-top 'box' in the middle close to the handbrake wheel.

Correct.

6 hours ago, dibber25 said:

I listened, once, to a woman explaining to her small child that the handbrake wheel was the 'steering wheel'.

I must have been on the same train!  I have heard exactly that.  And also a young child who, upon boarding and racing to claim a front seat, exclaimed "He has to drive by steering wheel!!!"  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Gopher said:

I agree Chris - I put a driver (Monty's models) at either end of the 117, had to take the seat out, and cut off the lower torso of the figures. 

What was the Unions response before making that request of its members ?

I’m sure they’d agree to removing Torso’s, but they would want better pay or conditions for it.

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hopefully, this works photo’ of a class 121 will be of some help with the layout of the cab. It’s on the Railcar.co.uk website.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/495

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks for that. It's sort of how I remember it. To mis-quote Eric Morecambe, "All the right bits but necessarily in the right order"! Had forgotten the all-important ashtray. I bet they aren't included in the cab of modern trains. (CJL)

45 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Had forgotten the all-important ashtray. I bet they aren't included in the cab of modern trains. (CJL)

I should think the ban on smoking in the workplace also applies to train drivers, so I should think no ashtrays...

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Correct.

I must have been on the same train!  I have heard exactly that.  And also a young child who, upon boarding and racing to claim a front seat, exclaimed "He has to drive by steering wheel!!!"  

Sadly, the handbrake wheel described as a steering wheel is not uncommon, I have heard it on more than one occasion. I also have heard the Post Office Tower called the Eiffel Tower by some American tourists once!

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

What was the Unions response before making that request of its members ?

I’m sure they’d agree to removing Torso’s, but they would want better pay or conditions for it.

Probably explains why they are currently on strike as I did not consult them (nor the unlucky drivers who underwent surgery come to that ).  I wondered why there were no trains running.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 47137 said:

I have a DVD by Video 125 called "The Chiltern Bubble Cars", here are two vidcaps for the present discussion

The film shows all I could hope to know about bubble cars and I think it is worth buying if you want to add detail to one of these models. The only limitation is of course it shows them in their final state.

https://www.video125.com/products/chiltern-bubble-cars?_pos=1&_sid=35e95711c&_ss=r

- Richard.

vlcsnap-2020-07-26-15h19m44s061.jpg.06cfbdbe757e39d526c95e6ec12eba03.jpg

Excellent - definitely shows the brake setter - red thing to the right of the handbrake wheel.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, NIK said:

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Cl117 uses coreless motors?.

Just want to be sure in case I  happen to use a low frequency PWM controller to drive the CL117.

Regards

Nick

Well - my class 121 ran pretty roughly on my Kentrol Feedback and now runs very sweetly on its Lenz decoder. So I reckon the 121 has a coreless motor, and by extension I'll guess the 117 is the same. Others here will know more.

- Richard.

3 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Well - my class 121 ran pretty roughly on my Kentrol Feedback and now runs very sweetly on its Lenz decoder. So I reckon the 121 has a coreless motor, and by extension I'll guess the 117 is the same. Others here will know more.

- Richard.

Hi,

My Class 117 starts with a jerk on my only DC controller - a  Gaugemaster that produces 50hz DC sinusoidal like pulses with the bottom cut off. I thought I read somewhere during the Cl117 development that it was to have coreless motors and as Farish have started putting coreless motors in their new steam outline motors it would be logical to put a small coreless motor in the Cl117.

Regards

Nick

• Thanks 1