Dapol 08

Kickstart

Here's a link to Dapol's sound instructions

http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/Logos/Dapol%20CLASS%2008%20instruction%20sheet.pdf

Paul

Interesting to note that there are 'no Buffering Up sounds' on Dapol sound version which is a shame if true. I would have expected this basic sound to be included considering the engine main use is shunting with plenty of buffer clattering in real life (?).

Was there any official reason given for the price increase from £169 to £199?

I notice that some places are still advertising the green versions at £169 for pre-orders. Will they instantly go up to £199 on release?

Hi Wirey33

Supply and demand I guess they were selling out very fast and the cynic might say the right price is the highest that can be extracted.

Norman

• RMweb Premium

Was there any official reason given for the price increase from £169 to £199?

I imagine the one thousand and five hundred days plus since the official announcement has a lot to do with it unfortunately.

And yes Rails honoured my pre order price.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

Just to change tack for a bit, here is photo that was taken by a friend of mine yesterday; it compares a recently acquired Dapol 08 with one from Tower Brass that he seriously reworked some time ago.

Dapol-Tower08s.jpg

It compares very well indeed ... and ran perfectly straight out of the box.  Gold star to Dapol.

David

Does anyone know where to source (if available) any good quality oval type worksplates for the Dapol 08. I am aware of the superb DJParkins versions but these come as part of a upgrade pack to the Bachmann 08 and you can't buy them separately I believe. I was also wanting some Darlington ones which are not included in the DJParkins pack. Surely a  opportunity for somebody to produce some in view of all the Dapol 08's sold recently.........thanks in advance for your replies.

• Like 1

The 08 arrived this morning, tested OK, but may need a slight tweak to the outside rods quartering, as the rod on one side is not quite straight for the entire rotation, and it is correctly on the track, which takes up the "sprung" middle axle. Very smooth at low speed, a bit noisier at higher pace, but then these were run at very low speed only.

It is the black unnumbered version early crest type.

Track also arrived so layout under way and some points to buy or build.

Stephen

• Like 3

Hi Wirey33

Supply and demand I guess they were selling out very fast and the cynic might say the right price is the highest that can be extracted.

Norman[/quote

Hi Wirey33

Norman

Spoke to a supplier/shop today about next batch of green and he thought prices would rise to cira £225 for shops not offering a discount.

Hi does anyone know what dcc decoder to fit has I've been told I need a 5 function one is this correct I brought a lenz silver☹️

Cheers

In my search for a suitable decoder, a decoder supplier said they believed loco design had been deliberately made difficult to fit a 21 pin decoder of your choice that works everything on board such as lighting, etc, this forcing you down a preferred supplier route (you have to guess at this but, but it's not difficult to work out who they said). However they said they are actively working to overcome this situation so choice is starting to widen. Suggest looking back at some of recent posts on this thread to find out what's on offer and what you can and cannot fit and who can provide it.

The 08 arrived this morning, tested OK, but may need a slight tweak to the outside rods quartering, as the rod on one side is not quite straight for the entire rotation, and it is correctly on the track, which takes up the "sprung" middle axle. Very smooth at low speed, a bit noisier at higher pace, but then these were run at very low speed only.

It is the black unnumbered version early crest type.

Track also arrived so layout under way and some points to buy or build.

Stephen

Hi Bertie

Yes top speed 15mph is prototypical.  Higher speeds caused damage to the gear box and to avoid this 08s were restricted to 15mph.  The 09s had a different gear box and were permitted to go higher.

Norman 

Hi Bertie

Yes top speed 15mph is prototypical.  Higher speeds caused damage to the gear box and to avoid this 08s were restricted to 15mph.  The 09s had a different gear box and were permitted to go higher.

Norman 

It's not a gear box but  an extra shaft i.e. a double reduction drive.

In my search for a suitable decoder, a decoder supplier said they believed loco design had been deliberately made difficult to fit a 21 pin decoder of your choice that works everything on board such as lighting, etc, this forcing you down a preferred supplier route (you have to guess at this but, but it's not difficult to work out who they said). However they said they are actively working to overcome this situation so choice is starting to widen. Suggest looking back at some of recent posts on this thread to find out what's on offer and what you can and cannot fit and who can provide it.

Hmmm yes we have one at the club and the purchaser ran up against the same stitch up "sorry issue"  

You can always pop down to your local Zimo stockist .........

Regards Arran 

• Like 1

18:57 Wednesday 16th November. 7P-008-004 Dapol 08 at Shillingstone Station on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's layout at the Stables, Godlingston Manor, Swanage. I think this model cost £165 but the price has gone up to £199.95 at Hattons. This compares with £79 for a 371-015C Graham Farish N gauge 08 in blue with a wasp stripe, £84.96 for a Bachmann 32-120 green 00 gauge 08 and £93 for a Hornby R3342 blue 08. These are all Hattons prices.

The general feeling in the club was that the 08s were excellent value for money at £165 and still good value for money if the price went up to £225. The Dapol models would bring new people into 0 gauge modelling who could not afford to buy models from Heljan and Golden Age.

Our layout is mainly digital and the 08s are going to be programmed so that they cannot exceed a scale 15mph.

post-17621-0-06310000-1479409718_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Got mine yesterday and it runs a treat on DC which suits me and my layout.

Now, if I didn't require sound and just wanted basic control and lighting functions would the Zimo MX632d be suitable? I wouldn't normally bother with DCC but a couple of other friends have DCC layouts and it would be nice to take something over to "join in"!

Only considering it as I've just seen this on ebay

Jon F

• Like 1

Does anyone know when the sound versions are going to be ready?. Duncan[/quote
Does anyone know when the sound versions are going to be ready?. Duncan

I have been told DCC Supplies are fitting Sound Decoders for Dapol products so suggest calling them (waste of time using the Dapol Digest as they only appear to answer questions when they feel like it.... or not!).

Got mine yesterday and it runs a treat on DC which suits me and my layout.

Now, if I didn't require sound and just wanted basic control and lighting functions would the Zimo MX632d be suitable? I wouldn't normally bother with DCC but a couple of other friends have DCC layouts and it would be nice to take something over to "join in"!

Only considering it as I've just seen this on ebay

Jon F

Jon,

Have a look at this page:

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/products/lokdecoder_EN.htm

You will see which decoders have 6 or more 'normal' functions.

The one you mention will work fine and it's a high power 1.6A version. Shop around, it is priced at £37 on Digitrains website, same on YouChoos. I can't see it on Coastal DCC's site but they are usually around the same price.

There are probably other brands which will work too. You need to select a 21 pin decoder one with 5 or more function outputs and which is non-MTC compatible.

Here's a link to a TCS decoder which appears to have 21 pins, no mention of MTC (but it does say 'Europen compatible') and with 6 outputs of 100mA each. This would probably be OK.

https://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Literature/Decoders/HO_Scale/EU-Series/EU621/EU621_Black_And_white.pdf

Kind regards,

Paul

Jon,

Have a look at this page:

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/products/lokdecoder_EN.htm

You will see which decoders have 6 or more 'normal' functions.

There are probably other brands which will work too. You need to select a 21 pin decoder one with 5 or more function outputs and which is non-MTC compatible.

Here's a link to a TCS decoder which appears to have 21 pins, no mention of MTC (but it does say 'Europen compatible') and with 6 outputs of 100mA each. This would probably be OK.

https://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Literature/Decoders/HO_Scale/EU-Series/EU621/EU621_Black_And_white.pdf

Kind regards,

Paul

I've used a number of these TCS EU621 decoders mainly in Bachmann 21 pin Class 20's, all 6 functions worked as intended, I assume this means they are MTC compatible ?  They appear to be to NEM660 spec, and surprisingly not to NMRA MTC spec, being produced in "Trump" land  lol

More here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116484-tcs-eu621/

HTH

Ken

Well the black Class 08 has arrived and it's everything I could want it to be - Its black and really looks the part - goodness knows if the number it came with, 13240 ever ran on western rails - I am sure someone knows? For that is the fictitious setting of my O gauge layout... It is being run on D.C. and the lights work forward and in reverse... And is very smooth in running. It can slow down to a crawl - which considering the way I lay track is a small miracle... I was getting fed up with the shoddily assembled models that kept arriving. And together with the various nameless manufacturers' ability to be stone deaf to complaints from abroad, which I found to be rather disheartening - But then Model Rails' USA tank arrives followed by this charmer and my confidence in the model manufacturers is restored... So I am back to thinking to get some more rolling stock from Dapol to go with it.. Whilst reminding myself to be careful and not to splurge - in O gauge a little goes a long way...

post-6939-0-41570900-1479449234_thumb.jpg

Here it is coupled to a Lionheart Air Ministry Tank

• Like 8

Well the black Class 08 has arrived and it's everything I could want it to be - Its black and really looks the part - goodness knows if the number it came with, 13240 ever ran on western rails - I am sure someone knows? For that is the fictitious setting of my O gauge layout... It is being run on D.C. and the lights work forward and in reverse... And is very smooth in running. It can slow down to a crawl - which considering the way I lay track is a small miracle... I was getting fed up with the shoddily assembled models that kept arriving. And together with the various nameless manufacturers' ability to be stone deaf to complaints from abroad, which I found to be rather disheartening - But then Model Rails' USA tank arrives followed by this charmer and my confidence in the model manufacturers is restored... So I am back to thinking to get some more rolling stock from Dapol to go with it.. Whilst reminding myself to be careful and not to splurge - in O gauge a little goes a long way...

attachicon.gifClass8ShunterDapolAC.jpg

Here it is coupled to a Lionheart Air Ministry Tank

Dapol sometimes has sales. I bought a Dapol 0 gauge eight plank coal wagon for £20 last year, which is not far off the 00 gauge price, so in a year's time it might be worth looking for some locomotive bargains.

It looks like a blue 08 has joined the black 08 at Shillingstone Station on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's model at the first floor of the Stables at Godlingston Manor, Swanage. They were not coupled together but the black one was hauling a short goods train and so it was slightly slower.

A couple of advantages of 0 gauge are that:

1) the scale track gauge is 4' 5.4" (if my calculations are right) which is closer to scale than 00 gauge

2) 1/43 scale is the standard scale for model cars so there is plenty of scope for adding cars to your layout. I think that the Dinky Toys caravan in the picture is slightly underscale.

post-17621-0-95015500-1479455919_thumb.jpg

• Like 3