Dapol 08

Kickstart

I have ordered myself a blue 08 and was originally going to just DCC it, however I may go down the sound route what would be the best setup for it, how easy would it be to fit and what would the cost be. I am sorry if this has been covered in previous posts but am new to DCC and sound. Thanks

I have ordered myself a blue 08 and was originally going to just DCC it, however I may go down the sound route what would be the best setup for it, how easy would it be to fit and what would the cost be. I am sorry if this has been covered in previous posts but am new to DCC and sound. Thanks

Aren't companies like Tower doing this for you?

Paul

Guest 40-something

Its plug and play essentially, remove the DCC blanking plug, plug in the soundchip, solder the 2 speaker wires in place on the Dapol circuit board and fix the speaker in place.  Very easy looking.  

I've never fitted sound before but this looks like childs play

See Vaughan45's post above for the chip and speaker details, both available from Digitrains for a total of £104 (no connection, future customer though)

As pointed out yesterday they didn't have them! Lots of early photos can be viewed on Railonline http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1051670273/h4833EF32#h480103e8

Now opening up the second exhaust port on the bonnet may be difficult.

attachicon.gif13240 bonnet roof © Paul Bartlett r.jpg

Paul

Thanks for photo link, although interesting for the period I am intending to use the 08 for it may need windscreen wipers. It is due to have a range of customisation applied, have the ladders removed, be subjected to a partial repaint and have wasp stripping applied to the ends, followed by a dose of weathering to represent one that has been sold into industry. Whilst I had been intending to start and customise the JLTRT 08 kit, at £170 for a fully working loco I thought this would present an interesting challenge.

With regard to decoder fitting, my only warning would be to remove the Dapol blanking plate carefully to avoid bending the pins as it seemed to be a much tighter fit than on some other 21 pin locos I have encountered,

Edited by vaughan45

D3045  -  does anybody know when it was painted into blue livery, or visited works c 1966/67 ?

My own contemporary spotting notes indicate that D3045 was in blue livery at Nine Elms MPD on 22 April 1967, whilst steam was still working on the Southern Region.

D3045  -  does anybody know when it was painted into blue livery, or visited works c 1966/67 ?

My own contemporary spotting notes indicate that D3045 was in blue livery at Nine Elms MPD on 22 April 1967, whilst steam was still working on the Southern Region.

Concurs with my understanding. I know a batch of these early blue repaints on the southern had brown (rather than black) underframes. Can't say wether 3045 was so treated.

John

• RMweb Premium

Er, folks who have the BR Blue versions... were your front ladders up the body already attached? I can't find them anywhere. Specifically 08 202 and unnumbered? If they aren't meant to be there fine - just curious.

Edited by maq1988

Guest 40-something

Er, folks who have the BR Blue versions... were your front ladders up the body already attached? I can't find them anywhere. Specifically 08 202 and unnumbered? If they aren't meant to be there fine - just curious.

Both TOPS 08s dont come with ladders, I believe its only the pre-TOPS numbered and unnumbered that come with the ladders (plus green and black).  I have the unnumbered pre-TOPS one and it comes with ladders (and a full set of wasp stripes)

• RMweb Premium

Interesting 40-something, turns out there were two unnumbered BR Blue versions on offer - had no idea about that. Just didn't want to be left out! Cheers for the info.

Mystery of the 'missing' ladders solved. Cheers

Can somebody please tell me (list)  which Br Blue 08s are going to be produced from all Retailer special runs. I know 08202 is available from Dapol  but i seem to remember reading somebody doing 08527 ( Liverpool street pilot) which would be more my cup of tea

Ta

BRenn

Just ordered a pre-TOPS blue one from Tower. (still £169.50 with free postage) I notice all the 08 releases so far seem to have red coupling rods..shouldn't the blue ones have yellow rods? Is there a date/convention regarding rod colours? I've followed the link kindly supplied by Paul and looked at nearly all the pictures there and there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule! 

Think I'd prefer yellow rods so once I know the loco is OK when I get it I'll be daubing some paint on.. :paint:

JF

• RMweb Premium

Just ordered a pre-TOPS blue one from Tower. (still £169.50 with free postage) I notice all the 08 releases so far seem to have red coupling rods..shouldn't the blue ones have yellow rods? Is there a date/convention regarding rod colours? I've followed the link kindly supplied by Paul and looked at nearly all the pictures there and there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule! 

Think I'd prefer yellow rods so once I know the loco is OK when I get it I'll be daubing some paint on.. :paint:

JF

See page 12, post #295 earlier in this thread (try not to get too distracted by the doom and gloom going on back then!)

Edited by Hal Nail

Just opened 08202. First impressions:

- Chunky, O gauge Chunky. She looks like she could take a bit of a knocking without taking too much serious damage.

- Undersides are notably a big block where the motor is housed, but not noticable when on rails

- Livery, for double arrows BR blue, how much more detail can it really get?

- Weight, the 'hand test' suggests she's about the same as my Ixion 0-6-0. Heavier than my Nellie and Ivor.

- No detail pack

- Cab doors aren't as springy as I thought they should be, the natural position for both doors seems to be half open/closed.

I've tried the Bachmann 4 function, 21 pin chip. She'll move ok, but I've got to figure out the light arrangements. With my SPROG (which I use to do all initial programming) both the red and white lights show, but the rear lights don't come on. This may be a side effect of the lack of functions on the decoder, so its unfair to dismiss it until fitted with a better chip. Forward and reverse work as expected (though the lights don't change).

Compared to my 00 gauge Hornby 09, I'd say the detail is on par, just a bigger scale. So I wouldn't think that one is more detailed than the other. But the larger size shows this.

Considering the £170 I paid, and the £230 I paid for the Ixion loco, I think this is a good deal. I know the prices went up, but with OO gauge getting towards the £150 mark for a loco, is it really that much more expensive?

• Like 1

(try not to get too distracted by the doom and gloom going on back then!)

Haha! I see what you mean. I wonder how many people cancelled their order then re-ordered when they saw pictures of the actual models :senile: !

Yellow rods it is then :sungum:

Thanks

JF

• Like 1

Haha! I see what you mean. I wonder how many people cancelled their order then re-ordered when they saw pictures of the actual models :senile: !

Yellow rods it is then :sungum:

Thanks

JF

Not always yellow on BR Blue take a look at this page on the RMWEB Class 08 shunter Prototype Photos and you will see the difference.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

I've tried the Bachmann 4 function, 21 pin chip. She'll move ok, but I've got to figure out the light arrangements. With my SPROG (which I use to do all initial programming) both the red and white lights show, but the rear lights don't come on. This may be a side effect of the lack of functions on the decoder, so its unfair to dismiss it until fitted with a better chip. Forward and reverse work as expected (though the lights don't change).

A bit off-topic I know but what decoder defintion did you use if I may ask? There isn't one for the Bachmann/Soundtraxx 21pin/4 function which I have down as a MC1H10421P so I used the nearest I could find, but having found issues with the lights don't know if a particular one in the Soundtraxx MC list is a better match than another.

thanks,

Izzy

Think I used the basic Bachmann 4-function profile. But I get the same issue with the lights on my dynamis. The rear lights don't seem to work, but the headlight does.

If you read the earlier posts, you need a Zimo 5 function, then the rear lights will work along with the shunt light.

Had a look at a friends 08202 yesterday and yes it is a fine model, for the price you can't go wrong. I did notice a couple of small errors with it though.

The balance weights are in the wrong place on the wheels. They should be more 06:30 rather than 08:00 if you know what I mean.

post-6766-0-05846800-1479039938.jpg

post-6766-0-48231000-1479039942.jpg

On the bottom of the cab door there is a little recessed handle that's on the wrong side of the door.

post-6766-0-55746400-1479039939.jpg

post-6766-0-71264300-1479040098.jpg

Mind you 08011 does not have a recess at all.

post-6766-0-83255900-1479040096.jpg

post-6766-0-86227300-1479039940.jpg

Edited by brian daniels