Dapol 08

Kickstart

Correct you need the appropriate decoder and you can control them all using function keys

In DCC mode at the front of the loco I can switch the the top,left, and right lights on. At the cab end when that runs forward only the top light comes on and is switchable. Is this the same for others?

Shunting lights one red and one white each end were normal for yard shunting

Norman

Try this if you like....

Couple of tricks you can do to get different lighting...

If you are concerned about warranty then obviously you need to consider before doing this...

In DC mode only the single top White lights will come on in each direction as standard.

If anyone cares to follow my earlier post on disassembly of the body and cab, then it is fairly simple (if you are adept with a soldering iron) to simply swap the wires round on the little inverted T shaped LED boards.

There are three wires (note that is two 3 pin connectors) going to each end from the main board, the other connector is the two pin cab light. On the two T boards there is a wire to + and then one each to FT & FB or RT & RB, if you simply unsolder and swap over the wires to FT & FB or RT etc....then you can have the shunting lights instead of the top marker lights as default on DC...

I would have thought this might have been a better option as standard, Dapol....?

One simpler tweak is to link pins 14&15 on the supplied DC plug on card and this will enable the Red & White shunting lights at one end. Might not be prototypical but does get you more lights in normal operation.

As previously mentioned, if you are on DCC then you can control all of the lights via function settings.

Someone mentioned that they had no red marker light on theirs, this is probably a fault and is most likely a duff LED or maybe series resistor or wire... Suggest best to return under warranty...

One very important note is that the centre lower lamp at both ends is unpowered (no LED is fitted) so it won't work at all in either

DC or DCC modes.

Unless you do a bit of additional surgery (as I am doing)...

Love the loco though and just 'had' to treat myself to a second one (in plain Green this time)

Seasonal greetings to all

Lodekka

• Like 1

In DCC mode at the front of the loco I can switch the the top,left, and right lights on. At the cab end when that runs forward only the top light comes on and is switchable. Is this the same for others?

Not if you have used the correct type of decoder. Have you used a non-21MTC and with 5 or more Function Outputs?

All covered in great detail earlier this thread from here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102801-Dapol-08/?p=2493856

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 2

Not if you have used the correct type of decoder. Have you used a non-21MTC and with 5 or more Function Outputs?

All covered in great detail earlier this thread from here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102801-Dapol-08/?p=2493856

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul

the decoder I used was the Bachmann 4 function one so looking at the thread ref. above I shall another decoder

regards

Paul

I'm sure many will have noted the fragility of some of the more delicate items as fitted to the 08's.

One respondent earlier commented about the fragility of the nose ladders (where fitted).

On mine, the bar across the front of the loco where the two under slung cylinders are has come adrift as have

two front most step handrails...

On a largely plastic model it does come down to the strength of the adhesives and the contact area...

In this case not very much area and very sparing on the adhesive...

Fortunately the cross bar car be drilled and pinned more securely.

I'm replacing the handrail knobs with brass...

Hopefull nothing else will drop off!

I should temper these comments with the admission that I have taken it completely apart more than once and it has been handled numerous times so it is not surprising there is this attrition of parts...

Just a quiet moment before the kids turn up today......

Lodekka

Exactly the point I was making in response to earlier posts - there are no spare items as there aren't supposed to be any and this is quite clearly stated in the accompanying paperwork.

Who reads instructions,? It takes all the fun away :jester: .I thought the square holes in the buffer beams were for fittings .I hasten to point out my only interest is making sure I can resell it  for a good price after I have sculpted a crew . :angel:

• RMweb Premium

On mine, the bar across the front of the loco where the two under slung cylinders are has come adrift as have

two front most step handrails...

Fortunately the cross bar car be drilled and pinned more securely.

I'm replacing the handrail knobs with brass...

I should temper these comments with the admission that I have taken it completely apart more than once and it has been handled numerous times so it is not surprising there is this attrition of parts...

Funnily enough upon reading one of the magazine reviews I noticed a BR Blue version close up photo of the front from low down and the same cross bar had broken at the "pin" location, so maybe not just your problem.

Merry Christmas peeps.....

Hows this for service. 1600 22/12/16 Tower rang to say its on its way. 15.30 23/12/16 Arrived on time.  1600 23/12/16 ordered chip from digitrains  0830 24/12/16 chip arrived 1st recorded.

Thanks to all those involved. Now to turn 3219 into 3130 of March 31B but meanwhile it runs sweet as a nut

• Like 1

Hows this for service. 1600 22/12/16 Tower rang to say its on its way. 15.30 23/12/16 Arrived on time.  1600 23/12/16 ordered chip from digitrains  0830 24/12/16 chip arrived 1st recorded.

Thanks to all those involved. Now to turn 3219 into 3130 of March 31B but meanwhile it runs sweet as a nut

Excellent service... Our retailers are providing quality service.....

Look forward to seeing it on Hobbs Warren sans sound!

Lodekka (aka Willowbrook Marsh)

Who reads instructions,? It takes all the fun away :jester: .I thought the square holes in the buffer beams were for fittings .I hasten to point out my only interest is making sure I can resell it  for a good price after I have sculpted a crew . :angel:

The holes in the buffer beams were for lifting eyes and shackles when in depots and works.

There is an excellent book 'The Diesel Shunter' which shows lots of 08's and in very good detail for anyone wishing to make changes

to their chosen model.

Also the series of LMS volumes which covers their predecessors is a valuable thing to have as a reference, and it goes into HUGE detail of the loco, most of which pertains to 08's as well....

Lodekka

Christmas present to myself-collected from Hattons new premises last thing on Thursday. Very pleasant and efficient service, honouring the pre-order price of £169.96, and a far cry from the original shop on Smithdown Road with Norman Hatton in his brown 'housecoat' offering 'Service with a Scowl' !

Unnumbered green with chevrons, now numbered as D3038, an Oxley engine for many years. Nose ladders have been removed-unlike other people I found that mine did not disintegrate. BR totems moved to toolboxes and yellow Route Availability circles on cabside. a la Western Region. I think I still may need to replace some of the handrails on the bonnet sides and still can' make up my mind on the black cab roof/ bonnet top, they don't look right in black but am unsure whether or not they should be green.

post-12187-0-01810000-1482748539_thumb.jpg 

Weathered and with vacuum pipes removed and replaced with better looking home-made ones. Runs beautifully slowly straight out of the box. I have made windscreen wipers from bits of scrap etch for the rear windows, the front windows didn't have any on this loco (based on a photo I found on Flickr) so I have removed the wiper motor covers from the cabsides, I think that area needs a little more neatening with wet-and-dry.

In the background D3752 is an MMP kitbuilt model, the only major difference I can discern is that the Dapol cab is slightly wider and shorter. Congratulations to Dapol on a lovely model.

Jeff

• Like 6

Nose ladders have been removed-unlike other people I found that mine did not disintegrate.

Jeff

Hello Jeff, I asked generally on the thread quite a while back, but didn't really get an answer, so could I ask you - when you removed the ladders, did they come off fairly straightforwardly, and more importantly (for me), do the brackets on the body remain intact?

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin

The ladders came off very easily indeed,  a small amount of leverage with a jewellers' screwdriver was sufficient as they are only lightly glued in place. The brackets are moulded onto the body so they are unaffected.

I have now decided to remove the bonnet side door handles, easily levered off the same way. I have inserted plastic rodding into the holes left behind and will smooth them off and repaint the bonnet sides. I was hoping to finish off this job today but my wife has suddenly found a lot of jobs for me to do. Something to do with visitors and Boxing Day...

Jeff

• Like 1

Christmas present to myself-collected from Hattons new premises last thing on Thursday. Very pleasant and efficient service, honouring the pre-order price of £169.96, and a far cry from the original shop on Smithdown Road with Norman Hatton in his brown 'housecoat' offering 'Service with a Scowl' !

Unnumbered green with chevrons, now numbered as D3038, an Oxley engine for many years. Nose ladders have been removed-unlike other people I found that mine did not disintegrate. BR totems moved to toolboxes and yellow Route Availability circles on cabside. a la Western Region. I think I still may need to replace some of the handrails on the bonnet sides and still can' make up my mind on the black cab roof/ bonnet top, they don't look right in black but am unsure whether or not they should be green.

attachicon.gifIMG_9997 - Copy.JPG

Weathered and with vacuum pipes removed and replaced with better looking home-made ones. Runs beautifully slowly straight out of the box. I have made windscreen wipers from bits of scrap etch for the rear windows, the front windows didn't have any on this loco (based on a photo I found on Flickr) so I have removed the wiper motor covers from the cabsides, I think that area needs a little more neatening with wet-and-dry.

In the background D3752 is an MMP kitbuilt model, the only major difference I can discern is that the Dapol cab is slightly wider and shorter. Congratulations to Dapol on a lovely model.

Jeff

Another question for you Jeff. How did you go about removing the BR totem from the bonnet door? Looks a neat result mate.

Steve

I'm lazing today in my recliner enjoying my last day off work and browsing RMweb, and much to my surprise the doorbell rings - it's Juan, our local DHL courier with a box from Hattons. (I wasn't expecting it until tomorrow, DHL was supposedly shut down today.) Now, off to unbox my unnumbered plain green gronk and test it! The blue one should be here later in the week, it's stuck in customs.

I'm a DCC user, so the next step is to decide what sound decoder and speaker to order.

(Edit) It had a slight hitch to start, but I found one crank was slightly out of quarter - light finger pressure resolved the problem and it now runs quietly and smoothly at all speeds. I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to do with it - from what I can tell no 08s were assigned to Norwich in the early 1960s, and I'm not sure if I can justify having a loco shedded at March with where my fictitious chunk of railway is located (just east of Dereham off of the route to King's Lynn.) So, selecting a number will need to await some research; luckily, I'm interested in many areas so I'm sure I can find a fit.

Edited by HeavyDuty

Another question for you Jeff. How did you go about removing the BR totem from the bonnet door? Looks a neat result mate.

Steve

Steve

Gentle scraping with a fairly blunt screwdriver tip. Thanks for the compliment: you haven't seen the other side! Suffice it to say that you won't until I've redone it.

Jeff

I'm lazing today in my recliner enjoying my last day off work and browsing RMweb, and much to my surprise the doorbell rings - it's Juan, our local DHL courier with a box from Hattons. (I wasn't expecting it until tomorrow, DHL was supposedly shut down today.) Now, off to unbox my unnumbered plain green gronk and test it! The blue one should be here later in the week, it's stuck in customs.

I'm a DCC user, so the next step is to decide what sound decoder and speaker to order.

(Edit) It had a slight hitch to start, but I found one crank was slightly out of quarter - light finger pressure resolved the problem and it now runs quietly and smoothly at all speeds. I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to do with it - from what I can tell no 08s were assigned to Norwich in the early 1960s, and I'm not sure if I can justify having a loco shedded at March with where my fictitious chunk of railway is located (just east of Dereham off of the route to King's Lynn.) So, selecting a number will need to await some research; luckily, I'm interested in many areas so I'm sure I can find a fit.

Can only recommend the Digitrains Zimo MX644D and the Paul Chetter sound... Just the best of the bunch...

Trust me you won't find anything currently on the market that beats it..

Enjoy your 08

Regards

Lodekka

Will this one operate all the lights?

ESU 54621 locomotive driver Fx V4. 0 Function decoder MM/DCC/SX 21MTC interface

It has 6 function outputs, should you want to wire the lower middle light.

Sorry but as I said previously...

There is no middle light...front or back.

Dapol have not fitted it - presumably as many of the later locos either had them removed, not fitted, or out of use.

If you want to add another LED then (that's what I am doing) then it requires some delicate surgery to the pcb...

Regards

Lodekka

Kevin

The ladders came off very easily indeed,  a small amount of leverage with a jewellers' screwdriver was sufficient as they are only lightly glued in place. The brackets are moulded onto the body so they are unaffected.

I have now decided to remove the bonnet side door handles, easily levered off the same way. I have inserted plastic rodding into the holes left behind and will smooth them off and repaint the bonnet sides. I was hoping to finish off this job today but my wife has suddenly found a lot of jobs for me to do. Something to do with visitors and Boxing Day...

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, good to know. The side door handles would also need to be removed for my chosen prototype, too, so it's useful to know that they come out without too much hassle as well :-)

Can only recommend the Digitrains Zimo MX644D and the Paul Chetter sound... Just the best of the bunch...

Trust me you won't find anything currently on the market that beats it..

Enjoy your 08

Regards

Lodekka

Hi HeavyDuty

Can only second Lodekka on that. Not only is the sound exellent but the way the sound files are linked to the throttle - well what can I say - you 'drive' the loco.

Steve

Hi HeavyDuty

Can only second Lodekka on that. Not only is the sound exellent but the way the sound files are linked to the throttle - well what can I say - you 'drive' the loco.

Steve

ABSO  BLOOMIN   LOVELY sound, I really couldn't believe it when I first heard it, and YES you drive it.

• Like 2