Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Gold

Question: I know Railtec offers transfers for blue locomotives with numbers sized for this model, but where can I find numbers for my solid green late crest? Steve doesn't list them that I can see.

Hi Ken,

Just drop Steve at Railtec an email with which number you want and he'll sort it out for you. Tell him it's for a Dapol model.

Rich

Some of the quality may be down to the speaker installation used by Dapol but I particularly liked the 3 horn choices and the dynamic sound. Start up sequence with short cut is pretty neat too.

I don't think DCC Supplies offer British sounds in Zimo decoders.

Norman

Thanks Norman...

Just to let you know Protodrive version has 3 horn choices also and has 26 functions plus 7 more which the user can swap about whereas Dapol fitted chip (which is the same Zimo decoder used by Protodrive) but only has 19 according to their list. I have seen factory fitted speaker installed by a chap on his forum and I did start with the same speaker which is ok, but from cheap end of the market. However I have changed this to a double Zimo speaker and improved quality of sound is very noticable. The speaker is best placed behind the grill to get clear sound, mounting above the motor or in the roof is more muffled.

As far as I'm aware Dapol use DCC Supplies to fit their sound decoders not the factory that made the locos. As I said I did enquire once as I think paying more than the cost of the loco to have sound is just nuts. Especially when it only takes a few minutes to fit and parts and total cost of parts used are half cost at £100. I did not feel I wanted to part with another £100 for fitting cost! They said they did not know if they will provide the Dapol class 08 sound seperatly. I think it highly unlikely that they will as I expect sound files are Dapol property. At least you have he correct decoder and if you want a change, then it can be reblown by any of the other suppliers for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by Greenmodelmonkey

Question: I know Railtec offers transfers for blue locomotives with numbers sized for this model, but where can I find numbers for my solid green late crest? Steve doesn't list them that I can see.

On the back of this, does anyone know what height the BR Black numbers are so I can sort out some for mine!

Further to my post numbers 1282 and 1293 regarding fitting a Loksound decoder, just to let anyone interested this has now been successfully done using a 21 pin V4 decoder without the addition of an adaptor board or stay alive capacitor.

Following removal of the blanking plug the decoder was simply plugged in, though as it was noticed that it did make contact with the suppression chokes on the PCB a strip of insulating tape was placed between the two as a precaution.

Testing on our layout (on which incidentally the trackwork is handbuilt using C&L components laid to O-MF standards) showed the operation of the loco to be smooth and reliable with no hesitation over the pointwork.

I did put a question in the 'Prototype' section, but I feel like it may be better here.

For a Green with wasp stripes 08, such as the Dapol release (Un-numbered) with the two exhauster boxes, is there a South or Mid Wales one from the early 1960's that I can clone?

I've tried looking back through this thread, but there's just too much frothing to make any headway.

Or does anyone have a link to a site that shows what number series were fitted with the two boxes and where they were shedded in the early 60's please?

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;)

PS: Managed to find one, D3432, 87B NEW 1958 a then 87A Neath in Jan 1962.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=589&q=shunter+D3432&oq=shunter+D3432&gs_l=img.12...1476.6870.0.9017.14.9.0.5.5.0.76.451.8.8.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.9.453.0..0.cxnsTJ-X3bw#imgrc=D10IBEG-uiL9xM:

Thanks anyway ;)

Edited by Jintyman

• RMweb Premium

Managed to find one, D3432, 87B NEW 1958 a then 87A Neath in Jan 1962.

I think your Dapol Model will have Long  Hinges on the Bonnet Access Doors, if so then D3432 is not an appropriate choice. What you are looking for is D3000 to D3336 or D3454 to D3472 

Have a look at these.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/     or  https://www.margam-depot.co.uk/08001-08099.htm

E

I did put a question in the 'Prototype' section, but I feel like it may be better here.

For a Green with wasp stripes 08, such as the Dapol release (Un-numbered) with the two exhauster boxes, is there a South or Mid Wales one from the early 1960's that I can clone?

I've tried looking back through this thread, but there's just too much frothing to make any headway.

Or does anyone have a link to a site that shows what number series were fitted with the two boxes and where they were shedded in the early 60's please?

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=589&q=shunter+D3432&oq=shunter+D3432&gs_l=img.12...1476.6870.0.9017.14.9.0.5.5.0.76.451.8.8.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.9.453.0..0.cxnsTJ-X3bw#imgrc=D10IBEG-uiL9xM:

Thanks anyway ;)

My 08 arrived very promptly from Hattons last week and ran very well on DC (lighting issues apart) but would not work when a DCC chip was installed. The solution was to correct the wrongly wired black and grey wires which had been soldered to the wrong pads on the loco board! Has anyone else come across this?

It now works fine on a Digitrax and ESU decoder but I am waiting for my Digitrains Zimo for sound and lights. Thanks to Paul and all the others who have contributed to demystifying Dapol's quirky DCC implementation.

Cheers Dave 

Edited by Oztrainguy

• RMweb Gold

My 08 arrived very promptly from Hattons last week and ran very well on DC (lighting issues apart) but would not work when a DCC chip was installed. The solution was to correct the wrongly wired black and grey wires which had been soldered to the wrong pads on the loco board! Has anyone else come across this?

It now works fine on a Digitrax and ESU decoder but I am waiting for my Digitrains Zimo for sound and lights. Thanks to Paul and all the others who have contributed to demystifying Dapol's quirky DCC implementation.

Interesting. No, not come across that. I've got the blue TOPS numbered ones and just plugged the Zimo chip straight in and it worked fine.

Rich

• Like 1

When I started to install DCC in mine, a wire broke.  It was so short that I had to remove the board and, having done that, broke another wire.  I ended up rewiring the whole thing.  With fine wires it's a good idea to provide some sort of strain relief at the join.  I put a dab of contact cement.

John

• Like 1

My green ones finished! :)

3F3EBC78-D7E5-4396-9201-2F472CF5034D_zps

0E6A6551-37AA-484D-A0B2-9EAEDF1FC434_zps

810DD6F0-A14C-45CF-95AA-D8D37D8240E1_zps

And has Paul's version 2 installed

Cheers

Very nice indeed! I also have D 3219 but doubt I will have the courage to weather it. Cheers Dave

Edited by Oztrainguy

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jinty, but D3432 has the later pressed bonnet doors without the long straps.

The twin-box one you have cover the number ranges 13000/D3000-13244/D3244 (but don't forget to remove all the vertical bonnet door grabs, as none of this number range had those either new or later)

Cross-reference that series against the BR Loco Database (which is sortable by depot) and Robert might well be your mum / dad's brother.

Tondu got 13188/9/90 (renumbered D3188-90 in the late-50s) from new in Nov 55 and didn't lose them until the depot closed.

Looks like those are the only 3 of the strap-hinge/double box examples that were NEW to South or Mid Wales, but there may have been other transfers in, you'll need to trawl through the rest to see.

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;)

Sorry Jinty, but D3432 has the later pressed bonnet doors without the long straps.

The twin-box one you have cover the number ranges 13000/D3000-13244/D3244 (but don't forget to remove all the vertical bonnet door grabs, as none of this number range had those either new or later)

Cross-reference that series against the BR Loco Database (which is sortable by depot) and Robert might well be your mum / dad's brother.

Tondu got 13188/9/90 (renumbered D3188-90 in the late-50s) from new in Nov 55 and didn't lose them until the depot closed.

Looks like those are the only 3 of the strap-hinge/double box examples that were NEW to South or Mid Wales, but there may have been other transfers in, you'll need to trawl through the rest to see.

This is good information - I had decided on March shed's D3065 for my unnumbered plain green Gronk ca. 1961-62ish. By vertical door grabs, do you mean the ones that looks like what you'd grab to open the hood doors? I haven't found photos of my victim as of yet.

I suppose I should get to work mixing a paint match for touchup. I'm not planning on a spectacular amount of weathering above the running gear, so I'd better get the match close.

• RMweb Premium

This is good information - I had decided on March shed's D3065 for my unnumbered plain green Gronk ca. 1961-62ish. By vertical door grabs, do you mean the ones that looks like what you'd grab to open the hood doors? I haven't found photos of my victim as of yet.

Hi HD,

yes, it's those 'grab' ones on the centre outer edge of each bonnet door that need to go. Only locos D3245 and upwards had them - I'm assuming there was some other form of pulling the doors open on the D3000-244 examples (possibly using the door lock key??)

When I started to install DCC in mine, a wire broke.  It was so short that I had to remove the board and, having done that, broke another wire.  I ended up rewiring the whole thing.  With fine wires it's a good idea to provide some sort of strain relief at the join.  I put a dab of contact cement.

John

If rewiring, I found that tucking the wire under the plastic motor leg helped protect it and reduce snagging...

New batch announced:

7D-008-007  13003  BR Black

7D-008-008  D3305 BR Green Early with wasp stripes

7D-008-009  D3002 BR Green late crest with wasp stripes

7D-008-010 D3316 BR Blue no ladders

7D-008-011 08173  BR Blue No Ladders

Expected end of Summer this year

MSRP is £225.00

We are taking pre-orders at £199.50

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick question, the exhauster boxes of which people speak. Where are they on the loco?

At the front of the loco, they are the Boxes with rows of Louvres.

With:-  https://www.margam-depot.co.uk/images/class08-w/08608-gatesheaddepot-190786-w.jpg

without:-  https://www.margam-depot.co.uk/images/class08-w/08401-celsa-120411-w.jpg

Edited by Pannier Tank

• RMweb Gold

Happily running in my plain green 350 before I ........install the sound decoder...

When you do, could you show/demonstrate "the knack" of removing the top bonnet please?  

Instructions suggest you squeeze it in the area of the lugs but it all seems pretty ridged to me and I didn't want to force it!

Thanks

Edited by PupCam

When you do, could you show/demonstrate "the knack" of removing the top bonnet please?  

Instructions suggest you squeeze it in the area of the lugs but it all seems pretty ridged to me and I didn't want to force it!

Thanks

The trick is to squeeze the body side (not the bonnet top) to release the roof panel, just take care of the handrails..

Slow and gently, it will come off.

Good luck

Lodekka

There are 6 lugs altogether not 4 like in the instructions, the ones nearest the cab seem to release easier and then you can slide say a very thin screwdriver or similar in the gap and then it will pop off, just keep your fingers away from any grab rails and the front ladders.

Martyn.

Thanks

Dapol got instruction wrong and said they would review. Then the trail went cold and as usual nothing has happened.... Don't think they can be bothered really (real shame as it's such a good product!! ....).