Dapol 08

Kickstart

I've been following this thread with interest, particularly the discussions regarding decoders.

My son has just taken delivery of his green, stripey version which he has purchased as a "basic" DCC ready version, but to which he wants (me) to add a sound decoder.

I note that the instructions supplied with the loco make no reference to any particular make or type of decoder and the inclusion of the (incorrect) 21MTC logo quite frankly meant nothing to me. Given that Dapol cannot assume all purchasers will be followers of RMweb or will look on their website for updated information then as supplied it must be inferred that any make or type of decoder will be suitable.

Now whilst not wishing to upset Paul (Chetter) whose sound decoder is excellent (I have one in my 4mm scale 08), my son's personal preference is for the decoder supplied by Jamie Goodman from The Chinnor Princes Risborough Railway, which is based on the ESU Loksound decoder.

Given that my son is not interested in having any of the lights working (we do not have lights on any of our other locos) so these could be unplugged from the PCB if necessary could anyone please confirm that a 21 pin Loksound decoder;

a)  will fit

b)  will provide the necessary motor control and sound

c)  will not invalidate Dapol's warranty.

Guest 40-something

I've been following this thread with interest, particularly the discussions regarding decoders.

My son has just taken delivery of his green, stripey version which he has purchased as a "basic" DCC ready version, but to which he wants (me) to add a sound decoder.

I note that the instructions supplied with the loco make no reference to any particular make or type of decoder and the inclusion of the (incorrect) 21MTC logo quite frankly meant nothing to me. Given that Dapol cannot assume all purchasers will be followers of RMweb or will look on their website for updated information then as supplied it must be inferred that any make or type of decoder will be suitable.

Now whilst not wishing to upset Paul (Chetter) whose sound decoder is excellent (I have one in my 4mm scale 08), my son's personal preference is for the decoder supplied by Jamie Goodman from The Chinnor Princes Risborough Railway, which is based on the ESU Loksound decoder.

Given that my son is not interested in having any of the lights working (we do not have lights on any of our other locos) so these could be unplugged from the PCB if necessary could anyone please confirm that a 21 pin Loksound decoder;

a)  will fit

b)  will provide the necessary motor control and sound

c)  will not invalidate Dapol's warranty.

From what I can gather, any 21 pin decoder can be used, but the lights will only work as intended with a 6 function (minimum) decoder.  As you wont be using the lights then there wont be a problem for you.  I certainly wouldnt think it would affect the warranty as you aren't making any changes to the Dapol PCB/mechanism

Plenty of space in the shell for the loksound and speaker(s)

post-12187-0-63703600-1483199834_thumb.jpg

Here's mine again, finished now and looking more like a real 08 (those bufferbeams were VERY red...) . Ladders removed, vacuum pipes replaced, bonnet door handles removed, numbered D3038, totems moved to cupboard sides, yellow Route Availability circles applied, worksplates 'Derby 1953' from Guilplates and copiously weathered. Waiting for a driver to arrive in the post. I'm more than happy with it!

Jeff

• Like 5

Looking good.....not so clear but what is the small pipe sticking up on the front top left of the radiator?

Hi David,

i think it is meant to be the sight glass for the radiator coolant though it does look a bit too prominent to me.

It has broken off on one of my pair and I must say that I think it looks slightly better for it.

Cheers

Andy

Amazing what you don't notice.....it is a bit prominent and will be cut down as soon as I have had my tea! And in case anyone is curious...the photo I have worked from was taken at Banbury in 1969 but has no 'Overhead Live Wire' plates on the loco so mine hasn't!
Jeff

Amazing what you don't notice.....it is a bit prominent and will be cut down as soon as I have had my tea! And in case anyone is curious...the photo I have worked from was taken at Banbury in 1969 but has no 'Overhead Live Wire' plates on the loco so mine hasn't!

Jeff

Great makeover, did you have to repaint radiator yellow or did loco come with black radiator suround?

From what I can gather, any 21 pin decoder can be used, but the lights will only work as intended with a 6 function (minimum) decoder.  As you wont be using the lights then there wont be a problem for you.  I certainly wouldnt think it would affect the warranty as you aren't making any changes to the Dapol PCB/mechanism

Plenty of space in the shell for the loksound and speaker(s)

Thanks for the reply which echoes my thoughts.

Anyway the plunge has been taken and a decoder ordered from Jamie, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Quick question for the assembled expertise here. When first introduced in the steam era, did these locos carry shed plates, and if so where? My book collection hasn't revealed a picture of one on an 08 yet, but all mainline diesels carried one if not two in the early sixties, so I'd be surprised if none of them carried one. What do others think?

Quick question for the assembled expertise here. When first introduced in the steam era, did these locos carry shed plates, and if so where? My book collection hasn't revealed a picture of one on an 08 yet, but all mainline diesels carried one if not two in the early sixties, so I'd be surprised if none of them carried one. What do others think?

Hi,

Some did cab end central under strip below windows  just above centre lamp D3282 Plate 141 A pictorial record of the Diesel Shunter

Edited by MiDAS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That weathering looks very good pjking1 do you use powders or airbrush/paint etc.

Cheers

Thanks d600, for the chassis I use acrylic paint brushed on then I add weathering powders whilst still wet, but I use gloss varnish to to replicate the grease etc, I find using powders gives a better build up of grime and more texture.

I tend to use this method to for the likes of the roof but for the body I tend to just dust with various powders, I then seal it all with a light coat of matt varnish then I use a fibre scratch pen to remove it.

Thanks again.

Hi everyone,

Just picked up 08202 as they appear to be selling out fast, and it had been staring at me from the window of Antics for a while now! It's a bit of a change to my usual N gauge.

I am delighted with the model, and the kids are suitably impressed. No layout or even any track yet, but I'm thinking of a sound chip and a small yard in the future.

Has anyone had a go at repainting the rods? I'm happy to respray the cab roof, but the coupling rods will require some extremely careful coats of paint.

Cheers

David

Hi everyone,

Just picked up 08202 as they appear to be selling out fast, and it had been staring at me from the window of Antics for a while now! It's a bit of a change to my usual N gauge.

I am delighted with the model, and the kids are suitably impressed. No layout or even any track yet, but I'm thinking of a sound chip and a small yard in the future.

Has anyone had a go at repainting the rods? I'm happy to respray the cab roof, but the coupling rods will require some extremely careful coats of paint.

Cheers

David

Check back through the posts, painting of rods is covered earlier. Sorry can't easily search on your behalf (and post a link) using mobile phone.

Hi everyone,

Cheers

David

Yes, remove the rods and paint off the loco.  They are held on by screws.  I don't know what they have used to lock the threads but the heat from a soldering iron loosens it sufficiently.

Norman

I got mine today and was a bit miffed when I knocked a buffer head off when getting the model out of the packaging.  :O  These are held on by nothing at all.  :nono:  I repaired it by pulling the buffer housing off the buffer beam, replacing the spring (which I thought had gone "ping" across the kitchen) and used CA to secure the head to the brass spindle.  I later found the spring. :sarcastichand:

Still, it is a super model and under DC runs excellently.  Will be ordering my sound package from Digitrains tomorrow.

John

Edited by brossard

I got mine today and was a bit miffed when I knocked a buffer head off when getting the model out of the packaging.  :O  These are held on by nothing at all.  :nono:  I repaired it by pulling the buffer housing off the buffer beam, replacing the spring (which I thought had gone "ping" across the kitchen) and used CA to secure the head to the brass spindle.  I later found the spring. :sarcastichand:

Still, it is a super model and under DC runs excellently.  Will be ordering my sound package from Digitrains tomorrow.

John

Yes ladders and rungs are held together with osmosis so try not to handle these if you have this version.

John

John,

Here's my 2nd (alternative) sound project for this model. Still a Class 08 but from recordings of a different loco.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 3

Hi I keep reading about the dcc sound people are fitting to there 08's can someone tell me if anyone sells all the bits togeather i.e. Decoder,speaker so all I have to do is plug it in and away I go so to speak lol.

Thank you col

Digitrains recommended the following to me:  Zimo MX644D, sound project ZS08Ad, speaker LS 40x20x09. 

Paul, I decided to go with the sound above because I'm not all that interested in voices.

I gave the ladders a slight poke and they seem solid.

John

Hi I keep reading about the dcc sound people are fitting to there 08's can someone tell me if anyone sells all the bits togeather i.e. Decoder,speaker so all I have to do is plug it in and away I go so to speak lol.

d600,

The setup given by John (Brossard) above is exactly what I got from Digitrains, with the addition of a capacitor array stay-alive pack.

The MX644D chip arrived with the stay-alive pack already made up and soldered to the chip. The sound file was, of course, also already installed.

The speaker arrived with 2 trailing brown wires. These need soldering to the "Spk" connections on the 08's circuit board.

Apart from this minor task, just remove the fitted blanking plate and plug in the 644 chip (being careful about which side is up - helpfully labelled "TOP" by Digitrains!).

That's all! All the kit was from one place and fitting took about 10 minutes.

• Like 1