Dapol 08

Kickstart

Is it really a "bargain" though? The price is low compared to existing 0 gauge loco's,..

Or just maybe, other O Scale is over-priced..?? ;)

To be fair, Dapol have stuck to the price they first announced, what? 5 years ago? for this first run. I would've then expected the price to rocket up to £400-ish for subsequent runs, however the price of other recent 'small' O scale locos from other makers, & Dapol's prices for the new Jinty & Pannier, lead me to think(hope?) the 08 will stay at a 'sensible' price level. Heljan have had to cut the price of their 05, & I bet it's due to this sort of pressure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Has anyone got their hands on theirs (if that doesn't sound suspect)?

I'm hoping that someone might be able to post photos of the underside, and ideally of the underside with the covers off, exposing the axles and drive.

A plan that will probably upset a lot of people is beginning to ferment at the back of my mind ........ the clue being that I operate a coarse-scale layout, with points that work best with 27.5mm b-t-b, and wheels with wide tyres.

Kevin

Let's face it for a 7mm £170 RTR model it is a bargain, so a bit of touching up here and there I can live with, yes it's not perfect, but from someone who used to buy Poole Farish n gauge locos for £60-£70 a time a faff around replacing split gears etc I can cope with it.

Craig

I agree it is an absolute bargain and I would say full marks to Dapol for honouring prices etc - if it runs well which from what others say is true that is the most important thing especially for a shunting locomotive - the shape looks good too and I'm so pleased they corrected the painting concerns on the front of the blue ones too. Even the packaging looks good - they seem to have gone more along the lines of what Heljan used to do which I always thought was best. I've just had 2 unnumbered ones turn up from Hattons today so time to do a bit of work on them over the next few weeks to enhance them further. Add numbers etc,paint cab roof blue and paint coupling rods yellow, paint missing bits of side of wasp stripes in black, weather and thats about it.

If I recall Dapol said they would produce at some point a later version of the 08 (as opposed to the 'early' version) and I'd have one of them too......hopefully not another 5 years to wait!

It will be interesting to see what Dapol do next on the O guage diesel front?......class 50 or 56 anyone?.....

Good luck to the forthcoming class 15 - but surely the Dapol 08 is the O guage model of the year......

• Like 1

Has anyone got their hands on theirs (if that doesn't sound suspect)?

I'm hoping that someone might be able to post photos of the underside, and ideally of the underside with the covers off, exposing the axles and drive.

Kevin

So, what you want really is for someone to take their 08 to bits as soon as they've got it out of the box..?? ;) :mosking: :jester:
  • Funny 1

So, what you want really is for someone to take their 08 to bits as soon as they've got it out of the box..?? ;) :mosking: :jester:

I'm sure stranger things have happened. :)

Anyone broken one yet?

Edited by leopardml2341

Got mine today.

major grumble as far as I can see is the lack of windscreen wipers.

Other than that it runs like a  dream, its relatively quiet and an absolute bargain. The gearing is spot on for a shunter too.

Even if the price goes up to £199 (and noting the new Jinty is priced at £225) I can't see how Heljan can charge £399 or whatever for their smaller 05 and they already did the development work for the OO model.

Anyhow some pix

post-3038-0-76700100-1478719978_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-14597300-1478719986_thumb.jpg

Paul R

• Like 4

I think I have changed my order 3 times with Tower, and I now realise that I should have tried to get a post tops unnumbered version as that would have suited me best. I hope Dapol do more generic liveries and no numbers in future as I picked 08202 to renumber as 08246 (Scotland late 70's) which means painting the roof and now touching in the missing 4 stripes on the front. If I had went for the unnumbered version the stripes would have been correct but the Logo is in the wrong place. Perhaps the fact that Dapol has given us so much choice is also part of the problem.If your layout depicts southern (Eastleigh?) in 1977 then 08202 is properly recreated with the missing stripes. I think that with Diesels in general, people want to personalise them as renumbering is an easy way to make it unique.  Anyhow Looking forward to my sound fitted version arriving even if I have a bit of work to do

Got mine today.

major grumble as far as I can see is the lack of windscreen wipers.

Other than that it runs like a dream, its relatively quiet and an absolute bargain. The gearing is spot on for a shunter too.

Even if the price goes up to £199 (and noting the new Jinty is priced at £225) I can't see how Heljan can charge £399 or whatever for their smaller 05 and they already did the development work for the OO model.

Anyhow some pix

Shunter5.jpg

Shunter2.jpg

Paul R

Wow never noticed the wipers! Should have as I used to work on 08s. Have ordered one as it looks great imo.

Put in my order for 08202 from the Liverpudlian Big Shop. I recall reading and following these in the early days and putting an announcement about a price increase expedited my purchase a little bit. I suspect a 21 pin chip for OO scale should be more than sufficient to fit to this (Bachmann 21-pin).

Hmmm, is 08202 in BR Blue typical of an example from the early-70's I presume?  And if so are there any notable differences between this example and a typical example from the mid-80's?  The only (cosmetic) difference I can see is the red wheel rods, as all photos I can find seem to have BR Blue 08s with yellow rods.

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

Two BR Blue ones arrived today, 08202 and unnumbered. Unboxed but not yet run. First impressions.

It looks like an 08! It's a heavy little thing. Blue looks fine to the untrained eye, wasp stripes are nice and clear. The cab doors on mine do tend to stick open a little but hey ho. Should look great once weathered (if I dare). Yes the rods are red and the prototype photo shows them yellow but that's a very minor thing.

Others may not agree, four years has been a long time to wait for this model - frustrating sometimes, but to me for sub-£200 is well worth it. I'm happy.

Price rises are expected and I think announced a while ago for any orders past the first batch. I'm happy that the price I signed up for in 2012 is the price I paid when they shipped. 

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me what TOPs numbers we can use on this model as it has the long hinges on the doors so might limit what numbers could be done.

Cheers Peter.

This has been mentioned many times including earlier in this thread - but basically upto 08266

Hi all,

As an addition for the question above from Peter,

Is there a site where I can find depot allocations for the late 70's early 80's for 08's please?

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;)

This doesn't answer your question directly, but a bit of investigation should allow you to select one?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiJpMLN5Z3QAhUGM8AKHfAQDOgQFgggMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.railway-centre.com%2Fuploads%2F7%2F2%2F2%2F3%2F7223531%2Fclass_08-13_fleet_list.pdf&usg=AFQjCNF17MS5yEyYYlgJChO0pUHerUoLfg

• RMweb Premium

Could I just note a little word of caution with regard to using the standard Bachmann 36-557 21 pin chip? Not sure about the current draw levels, and don't know if it is an issue at all, but with regard to the lighting. A while ago I fitted one into a 4mm Heljan W&M railbus and despite my best efforts using Decoder Pro via a sprog ( I found it needed much cv changes to get decent motor performance - well to what I was happy with regarding slow speeds - but that's another matter), I just could not get it to dim the lights as is apparently default with these Soundtrax decoders.

Personally, if you can find/afford one, a better 21pin from the likes of Zimo might be more worthwhile in the long term, both from a lighting and motor control perspective.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if the ladders can be removed easily as i want to get one to respray but I need a version with full wasp stripes at the end which sadly limits it to the D3045 model which has ladders which I don't need on the model i want to do ......