Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Evergreen Strip Styrene Size Help

Hi,

I want to try and build the office in the right hand side in the photo below in the for 4mm use, can anyone give me an idea of the sizes of strip styrene I would need for the window frames, panel dividers etc

I had a look at my local model shop and have no idea what sizes I need to ensure nothing looks over or undersized.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Michael

WestOffice_zps3zascqxg.jpgv

Photo courtesy of Ernie Brack

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought, see if you can find any similar buildings narby and measure the window frames.  That style was used a lot for scholls, libraris and various oter public buildings.  That would then give you the sizes.

Jamie

That's a good idea, unfortunately there are no other buildings nearby. We have a library in town but the window/frames are completely different, as for schools all the 'old' schools have demolished and replaced with new monstrosities!

Michael

Hi Mal,

It's proving a bit difficult finding information on this building for 4mm modelling, there are only partial views of the building on a couple of web sites and despite many different web searches nothing comes up for this type of building!

Regards

Michael

The only thing I can think of is to measure the footprint of remains and try and work it out from there!

Is there not a drawing of one of these buildings in an edition of Modern Railways in the late 1960's?

Also there was a kit of one of this type of building produced as I saw one on a stall recently!

Mark Saunders

Hi Mark,

thanks for your reply.

I had thought of going over there as part of the office floor tiles are still in place and maybe moving some of the rubble may reveal more, that way I might be able to work out the office dimensions but I still need to know what sizes of the 'Evergreen' Strip Styrene is suitable for 4mm use. 

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Michael, I have lots of photos around Cambois but the only one I have which shows anything which Ernie's doesn't show is this one.  It shows the opposite (east) side.

Uusally this side was hidden by locos when I was there.

I've no idea why the CEGB loco (presumably from the power station) was  there.

post-5613-0-13327500-1442087153_thumb.jpg

Cambois CEGB North British 0-4-0DS No 23 on BR shed Nov 83 C6324

The building looks very like some of the more "modern" station buildings BR ubilt in various places, especially in some areas of the WCML in the 60s.  They look very similar to the "CLASP" system buildings of the time.

Sorry I can't be more help.

David

• RMweb Premium

Michael,

I scratchbuilt a similar prefab office for a 4mm layout a couple of years ago, using 1mm x 1mm strip for the uprights and window framing with wider facia strips (possibly 3mm x 1mm) top and bottom. It looked right to me.

Annoyingly, it's about the only structure on the layout that isn't visible in any of the photos I can find of the layout.

I'd suggest get a pack of 1mm x 1mm and 1mm x .5mm and build a test wall using each and see which looks right to you?

EDIT: Ah, it's visible in the first pic in this thread on the DistrictDave forum: http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/13557/north-london-dalston-broad-street, buffer stops end of Pfm 1 (under the canopy, top centre-ish)

Michael, I have lots of photos around Cambois but the only one I have which shows anything which Ernie's doesn't show is this one.  It shows the opposite (east) side.

attachicon.gifCambois CEGB North British 0-4-0DS No 23 on BR shed Nov 83 C6324.jpg

The building looks very like some of the more "modern" station buildings BR ubilt in various places, especially in some areas of the WCML in the 60s.  They look very similar to the "CLASP" system buildings of the time.

David

The loco was from Cambois Power Station and was going to T J Thomson's at Dunston on the Redheugh branch. I believe it was hauled there after having the side rods removed!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

I remember Peter Kazmierczak modelled a similar office block (possibly Chaddesden in Derby) in an old Model Railway Constructor magazine, with a drawing included. Unfortunately I "ditched the stash" last year before moving and I can't find an online index, it would have been sometime around 1980. Peter is a member of RMweb, maybe a message to him might help?

There is a pack of assorted microstrip available from Slaters which contains all you should need for scratch building.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-1001-Assorted-Microstrip-Pack-of-50-Lengths-/381267922164?hash=item58c556ccf4

Regards Shaun.

There is a pack of assorted microstrip available from Slaters which contains all you should need for scratch building.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-1001-Assorted-Microstrip-Pack-of-50-Lengths-/381267922164?hash=item58c556ccf4

Regards Shaun.

Thanks for the link Shaun, I never knew that 'Slater's' sold an assortment pack, I was going to buy separate 'Evergreen' packs instead!

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link Shaun, I never knew that 'Slater's' sold an assortment pack, I was going to buy separate 'Evergreen' packs instead!

Michael

IMHO.

I think it's something to do with the method of production, but, Evergreen is a lot better quality finish than the Slaters, which is somewhat "raggedy". I would use the former, especially on something as fine as window frames.

Mike.

attachicon.gifCambois CEGB North British 0-4-0DS No 23 on BR shed Nov 83 C6324.jpg

David

The looks very much like a door in the corner which is almost directly head on. It should be possible to derive some basic dimensions from the photo on that basis.

• RMweb Premium

It is a memory from a long time ago, but the style looks very much like the "new" station in Macclesfield, which was featured in Railway Modeller when new. However, current photos of the station seem to indicate a lot of changes since then.

It also shouts "Clasp" to me. However, a trawl on the web produced this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLASP_(British_Rail)which suggests that Macclesfield can't have been Clasp.. There are a couple of nice photos of Clasp buildings further down this page http://www.construction-manager.co.uk/features/framework-schools/

Could not resist doing some more investigation. There are several photos on Ernie's site with what appear to be that building visible. Looking at the old site via Google Earth I believe I can see the foundations of the building in question which would provide the possibility of getting basic dimensions which would allow the possibility of scaling some of those photos.

Archived