The Patiala State Monorail Trainways

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of time yet.

Further musing has concluded I can now lay the rail, pre wired for the common feed from the relays and nicked to the length of each section. To give depth for the relays I'm going to raise the rail by a few mm. According to the scale drawings the outrigger wheel was slightly lower than the rail. As the whole layout is a circle, I might raise the track for this slightly, to give a touch of super-elevation.

Then inside these two raised rims I can lay the two bus wires, then add the individual feeds from each relay and finalise the relay position. I will be following Armin's method of sticking the relay to card first. The rail can then be cut through at each nick.

Once this is all done, some light card will be used to cover the gap between the rail and the outrigger path, hiding the relays & wiring.

All sounds so simple...

• Like 5

Just a thought but I would be cautious about putting super elevation on the outrigger as it will do exactly the wrong thing for the balance. I know this would be easy to compensate for with a bit of weight put in the right place but I don't think the prototype would have had any super elevation. On the contrary it may have negative elevation to help tip the loco and coach towards the outrigger. No proof for this, just the way I might have done it.

Stuart.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stuart. I have to admit I have no idea how well the chassis will work under power - will it constantly de-rail, will the outrigger cause too much friction, etc. All to be discovered ( soon !!).

And the car will not be placed in front of the house ( and I know it's completely wrong time-wise) but, as the PSMT is actually still running, albeit within the museum, there might be a possibility that it did once pass a rusting heap of a car.

More work on the r/h side this evening, but it is cold in the garage.

• RMweb Gold

Some details and a slap of paint on the castle / town wall

post-7025-0-46236900-1460057562_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, more reed switches have been ordered, should arrive tomorrow for a marathon soldering session over the weekend.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Some details and a slap of paint on the castle / town wall

attachicon.gif20160407_203000.jpg

Meanwhile, more reed switches have been ordered, should arrive tomorrow for a marathon soldering session over the weekend.

When you have finished with this layout can I please have that portal for the other (North West)  portal on Honiton Incline?

Thanks,

M. Ghandi

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When you have finished with this layout can I please have that portal for the other (North West)  portal on Honiton Incline?

Thanks,

M. Ghandi

By all means, I'm guessing the fact it's 1:35th scale and Indian makes it the ideal match.

Ma hat, ma coat, more like!

A handy Hindi/Punjabi-English phrase guide

Main apane jarman kaar kho diya hai/Mainu mere da jaramana kara khatama ho gi'a hai - I have lost my German car

Yahaan ke paas ek naav yaard hai/Ithe de neje ika kisati viheje hai- Is there a boat yard near here?

Main apane kot mil jaega/Mainu mere kota prapata karoge - I'll get my coat

• RMweb Gold

The reed switches have arrived and are so thin I don't need to raise the track.

Have also bought 2 lengths of O gauge track - I had to decide between FB or BH - I went for FB, hope that's not too controversial.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The reed switches have arrived and are so thin I don't need to raise the track.

Have also bought 2 lengths of O gauge track - I had to decide between FB or BH - I went for FB, hope that's not too controversial.

Excited now, need to keep a grip!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Circumference of track = 3,000mm (give or take a few 10s of mm)

Length of rail needed between loco and carriage wheels = 75mm

Therefore, number of rail sections needed = 3,000 / 75 = 40

Therefore, number of reed switches required = 40

Number of reed switches purchased this week = 30

Number of reed switches previously purchased = 10

Number of reed switches previously purchased which can't be found = 10

Radius of track = c.480mm

Radius to which Peco FB Code 143 will bend - unknown as yet, but somewhat concerned about retention of curve.

• RMweb Premium

Would it not be easier to mount the rail, and keep it to the required curve, by purchasing some sheets of copperclad board, (not sleepers, full board ) and then soldering the foot of the rail to it? The copperclad can then be gapped for each section, and the reeds buried inside cut outs in the board.

I can foresee that the plastic base as shown above will not give a good fixinging.

Also to form the curve in the rail, keep it as a full length (one rail at a time) and stroke it to get a consistent radius. The bit above seems to be just bent in the middle, which may cause problems with your loco.....

Watching with interest.

Andy G

Edited by uax6