I could have bought these, at £2.85 a pack :

post-7025-0-14596700-1460723920.jpg

but I bought one of these from Poundland - A Tommy Walsh special :

post-7025-0-11550900-1460723936.jpg

• Like 6

Here we go !

So are you BRUSHing up you layout tips!

SWEEPING down the river Ganges

Whilst Having a REEDing good time building it.

Of course the more expensive woodland scenics stuff is a natural product I see from the packet is your brush ?

More Inportantly what are you going to do with the handle after the trimming, some sort of temple piller!

• Like 1

I have to say this is a really interesting project.

A proper challenge and quite idiosyncratic.

I've been keeping an eye since the start and always jump on updates, but haven't commented as I can't really contribute anything of use: Nevertheless, the point comes where one has to post some sort of appreciation over-and-above just ticking the 'like' box  :)

So here I am: Absolutely wonderful stuff Mr Stubby.

What a fascinating subject and coming along nicely  :)

Edited by Southernboy

• RMweb Gold

Southernboy - many thanks. This is probably the most eccentric idea I've had ( so far !!) as a subject for a model railway, and there have been (and still are) some major challenges.

However, it's fun, I'm learning stuff and hopefully I'm providing some entertainment.

Meanwhile...

Number of reed switches installed - 8

Number of reed switches damaged - 2

More accurate estimate of remaining number of reed switches required - 36

Number of reed switches remaining in stock - 30

Conclusion : Oh, Sh*t !

• RMweb Gold

...hopefully I'm providing some entertainment.

You certainly are. I'm in the same camp as Southernboy. You are the first update I click on, when I look at RMWeb.

It's the most eccentric thing I've seen. I'm willing you on from over here to beat your deadline. It's edge of the seat stuff!

Edited by JCL

• RMweb Gold

You certainly are. I'm in the same camp as Southernboy. You are the first update I click on, when I look at RMWeb.

It's the most eccentric thing I've seen. I'm willing you on from over here to beat your deadline. It's edge of the seat stuff!

Thanks for the vote of confidence,  much appreciated. 

After today's session adding the reed switches, I know I can add the rest at a reasonable rate. I need to put the layout on its legs and then create the non-scenic loop. The bridge will also take a bit of fettling - I think a large diameter straw will work best to hide the reeds and wires.

Also, waving a magnet near each reed gave a satisfying full needle movement on the circuit tester - proof the concept will work :)
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

"waving a magnet near each reed gave a satisfying full needle movement on the circuit tester". Stu, you have no idea how frightening that sounds to me with my electrical skillinability.

However, this truly eccentric project is looking pretty good to me and if it works I promise to buy you a Dewdeny's Pasty.

Duck's ar$e of 36E

• RMweb Gold

So today was supposed to be a mega modelling session.....

I did manage to fit back and side screens so the layout looks presentable, as this needed noisy jig-saw work. Though these are not yet painted...

However, a pesky front indicator bulb change on the Corsa has eaten into the time, as did a walk to The Range and Costa, although I did procure some large diameter straws for the reeds on the bridge.

And now the shower pull switch has failed...

Edited by Stubby47