The Patiala State Monorail Trainways

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Over here they are called honeydew lists. Mine doesn't get shorter, it just moves down the whiteboard as the top ones are ticked off and new ones are added to the bottom.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm a bit concerned as to whether this will work at all as currently wired, DO the reed switches flip over when the magnet is near and back as it is withdrawn or do they flip and latch until the magnet is re-applied the other way around? If they only flip while the magnet is present then they will only give brief pulses of opposite polarity as the magnet passes over them. 

I would use the reeds to flip a latching relay, alternate reeds being wired to flip the relay one way and then the other and then the contacts of the relay reversing the polarity of the track sections.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andi,

The reeds do only switch when the magnet is near. However, I've always intended to use a strip of magnets, rather than just one, so keeping the reeds switched before the lead wheel reaches the next section and until the last wheel  has left the section.

Stu

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

Stubby

Just got round to looking at this on the train to work. I hadn't looked before, because I thought it was a thread about the prototype, which I've read about elsewhere.

Brilliant!

Are you an NGRS member? If so, I presume you paid close attention to the recent magazine describing the horse-hauled Caillet monorails?

You have my full understanding when it comes to "to do" lists issued by SWMBO - I'm sure there is an alternative forum somewhere (Facebook?) where all the SWMBOs get ideas from one another about what to put on these lists, in the way that us chaps compare layout ideas.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Some progress on the coach today.

From this :

post-7025-0-49892700-1460981167_thumb.jpg

To this :

post-7025-0-39438500-1460981204_thumb.jpg

The lead buffers will be removed and the support for the magnets attached to the nearest corner (as viewed above), stretching out under the coach body, which may look something like this :

post-7025-0-98816800-1460981961.jpg

post-7025-0-49892700-1460981167_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-39438500-1460981204_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-98816800-1460981961.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Stu this might seem a daft question but with the road wheel on the outside of the curve what is going to prevent the train turning away from the single running rail?

Not a daft question Mike. I've reversed one of the wagon wheels on each axle and pushed both to the middle, so making a double flanged wheel.

post-7025-0-83767900-1461017818_thumb.jpg

Progress this evening on the coach body. I've had to make a couple of compromises with this, mainly by positioning the wheel further back and raising the floor.

Hopefully future versions will be more accurate. 

post-7025-0-45625500-1461017839_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

For those of you observing closely,  you will notice that the outrigger wheel appears to be on a surface which is lower than the rail head.

This will be addressed by a layer of 1.5mm mount card, which will partially cover the reed wiring and also provide a base on which to add the paper skin over the switches.

Tomorrow's lunchtime should see the completion of the coach and a coat of paint. Will just need to add a pickup to the wheels and the magnets.

The magnets themselves are actually for handbag clasps - they come ready made with fixing tags.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The magnets themselves are actually for handbag clasps - they come ready made with fixing tags.

SWMBO won't be pleased when she sees her handbag collection...

• RMweb Gold

Some rolling stock ? That's all of it !

SWMBO won't be pleased when she sees her handbag collection...

She has too many anyway.....

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu, it's been a really interesting exercise in planning. You did a whole lot up front, and things looked like they were maybe going to go too slowly, but I can see that all of your planning has really allowed you to pick up the pace.

Being non-technical, I don't really understand the reed switches (you don't have to explain as I'll put it down to witchcraft - you aren't a duck are you?), so I really hope you produce a video of it in service at the end of your build.

cheers

Jason

Will he finish in time?  Will it work?  Fascinating, this, but too much tension for my poorly frayed nerves. 

Great progress, however, I must remind viewers of Patsy's sage advice: "A girl can never have too many hats, bags or shoes".

post-25673-0-30149100-1461065369.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Will he finish in time?  Will it work?  Fascinating, this, but too much tension for my poorly frayed nerves.

I strongly believe that he built and completed it months ago and is now just drip-feeding photos and anecdotes to raise the tension and expectation before its grand unveiling...

I strongly believe that he built and completed it months ago and is now just drip-feeding photos and anecdotes to raise the tension and expectation before its grand unveiling...

Yeah, stands to reason, I mean no-one would leave work on an untested concept until this late in the day!!!!!

Yeah, stands to reason, I mean no-one would leave work on an untested concept until this late in the day!!!!!

Well when Stu arrives at my B&B the night befoure Staplegrove I will leave the dining room table clear, have the soldering iron on! And if needed the heating on full blast to dry the paint!

But if any of those orange snakes escape....I only have some spair black or yellow ones !

Thanks for the thanks Stu but aren't you supposed to be cracking on with it , not wasting time on RM Web?

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Utter madness !!!

post-14122-0-13953300-1461082163.jpg