Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

32 minutes ago, JeffP said:

No, not that one, I was thinking of the canal bridge on the west side of Althorpe station.

Not a lifting bridge, nor a swing bridge, it slides ...

https://www.nationaltransporttrust.org.uk/heritage-sites/heritage-detail/keadby-sliding-drawbridge

... and the earlier version ...

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/sheffield/sy9.htm

It's an unusual place all right - only been there once, and the box wouldn't open the crossing gates when requested because we had to wait for the Royal Train carrying His then Royal Highness the Prince of Wales !   I believe that stretch of line once had three-aspect UQ semaphore signals (45 degrees for caution, vertical for clear).  The big power station nearby was gas-fired.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The Grimsby one is a Scherzer rolling lift bascule bridge to give it its posh name over Alexandra Dock 

Just has a shed load of maintenance recently I think, so might work if required but wouldn't bet on it? Been in area years and never ever recall it in up position. In my triathlon days was one end of our open water swim section. 

Even more oddly this and some other Grimsby landmarks were/are models in Legoland

Edited by DOCJACOB
amended
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. It’s most interesting to hear about the different bridges. Let’s not forget the H&BR had a swing bridge at Long Drax, over the River Hull, in addition to the well known NER bridges.

Well, this evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we go back to Paragon station on the 28th September, 1971, and see Deltic, 55007, Pinza, waiting to depart with train 1A13, the 09.36 to London King’s Cross.

28/09/1981 - Hull Paragon.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

All the control equipment on KGV bridge at Althorpe was stripped out in the early 1980s, so its permanently locked in the down position now.

However, the sliding bridge for the railway over the Keadby & Stainforth Canal at Keadby Canal Junction is still very much operational, and March to October is responsible for no end of delays as the locking pins do not always drop back to place in 'warmer weather' after its been open for the canal traffic.  Been sat at Crowle a number of times due to that problem!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 20/12/2022 at 20:55, AttusLeBeard said:

Another one of the Summer SO train from Scarbados though by this date (5/7/86) the destination was Leicester.  I was travelling on this so this photo was taken from Anlaby Rd flyover by the late Patrick Welsh.

Loco on this day was 45129.   

45129 anlaby rd 050786.jpg

This train passed Hessle Haven at 3:30pm and was usually rostered for a peak.  By 1986 the train was re-timed and passed Hessle at 1:30pm, and i believe it was the last summer of locomotive haulage before being turned over to  DMU's.  I vividly remember 45044 ROYAL INNISKILLING FUSILIERS minus it's nameplates and looking very shabby thundering past Railway cottages on this service a few weeks before this picture was taken.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. It’s most interesting to hear about the different bridges. Let’s not forget the H&BR had a swing bridge at Long Drax, over the River Hull, in addition to the well known NER bridges.

Well, this evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we go back to Paragon station on the 28th September, 1971, and see Deltic, 55007, Pinza, waiting to depart with train 1A13, the 09.36 to London King’s Cross.

28/09/1981 - Hull Paragon.

Best regards,

Rob.

1981 rather than ‘71

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

1981 rather than ‘71

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, MikeParkin65, you are right, I slipped on my keyboard yesterday for some reason. 😉

Well, this evening, firstly, thank you, Mick, for the photo’s and drawings of H&BR bridge number 89. More gaps in our local railway history is plugged. And thank you, AttusLeBeard, for that photo’ of the railtour from earlier today. Unfortunately I missed it since a neighbour had a fire in his flat and I was not allowed out until it was much too late. I’d better add that all is okay now the fire is out, and my neighbour is safe and well.

So, with thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we stay in Hull for two photo’s. On the 28th April, 1992, we see 31162, with inspection saloon, DM395280, at Selby Street. 

28/04/1992 - Selby Street, Hull.

And now the going away shot.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, MarshLane said:

However, the sliding bridge for the railway over the Keadby & Stainforth Canal at Keadby Canal Junction is still very much operational, and March to October is responsible for no end of delays as the locking pins do not always drop back to place in 'warmer weather' after its been open for the canal traffic.  Been sat at Crowle a number of times due to that problem!

The sliding bridge over the Stainforth & Keadby (not the K&S) was (and probably still is) infamous for not being able to open in hot weather due to excess expansion.  It may be apocryphal, but I have heard tales of fire hoses being deployed to either get it to open or close.

Adrian

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2022 at 18:09, Market65 said:

In addition to the swing bridges, there was a bascule bridge where the H&B / GC joint line crossed the Aire & Calder Navigation near Pollington.  Although the line was well above water level (so most craft could get through), at one point in time, there was a requirement that new bridges over the navigation had to be able to open as a future proofing exercise to allow ships to reach Leeds.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and particular thanks to Mick, for the photo’ of Springhead, with 361 and 362. Some good differences to be spotted between those two seemingly identical locomotives. And thanks for the drawings and photo’s of the HB and GC Joint Line Bridge number 8. It is fascinating to see such details.

Well, firstly, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas. Here’s a card which I’ve made from a photo’ I took of Beverley Station, in the snow, from December, 2009. 

7AD0920D-3BCC-4586-8C5E-D521DB6565D1.jpeg.311ebad2c510a319582f096b3314350d.jpeg

Now, time for a photo’ courtesy of John Turner and M. R. Lake, on Flickr, of D20, 62396, getting some basic servicing at Bridlington, in August, 1957.

08/1957 - Bridlington.

And now, with the same credits, again from August, 1957, of G5 0-4-4T, locomotives, 67326 & 67280, when in store at Bridlington goods shed.

08/1957 - Bridlington.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we are back at Paragon station, on the 22nd May, 1981, to see 55008, The Green Howards, ready to depart on train 1A28, the 16.30 to London King’s Cross.

22/05/1981 - Hull Paragon

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

Thank you for running this thread and thanks to all who have provided such varied and interesting pictures of East Yorkshire's railways every day.  As a retired railwayman living in York these are all close to home for me, and at one time in my varied career I worked as a Guard from York, including over the line to Hull which I always enjoyed.  So thanks again, and a Happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year to you and all the contributors on here.  I'm afraid I haven't got many pictures from E Yorks of my own to share, but here is one of the Wilmington Swing Bridge in Hull taken in 2018, now without trains or indeed railway lines.

IMG_1906.jpeg.e526874c7d0279e474d53645eedbd01e.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2022 at 18:48, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, MikeParkin65, you are right, I slipped on my keyboard yesterday for some reason. 😉

Well, this evening, firstly, thank you, Mick, for the photo’s and drawings of H&BR bridge number 89. More gaps in our local railway history is plugged. And thank you, AttusLeBeard, for that photo’ of the railtour from earlier today. Unfortunately I missed it since a neighbour had a fire in his flat and I was not allowed out until it was much too late. I’d better add that all is okay now the fire is out, and my neighbour is safe and well.

So, with thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we stay in Hull for two photo’s. On the 28th April, 1992, we see 31162, with inspection saloon, DM395280, at Selby Street. 

And now the going away shot.

Best regards,

Rob.

I remember coming off the road at crag Hall in about 94 running round that saloon with a different 31

Gaffers everywhere and was down to a wet bed under a sleeper allowing the rail on the running line to hit the point rodding for a point in the yard the wasn't locked 

I hit the point as boulby came by and  moved the blades under me 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 06/12/2022 at 19:08, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. With thanks again to John Turner, on Flickr, the first of two photo’s, and we go to Hessle, in about 1964. We see a Gresley B16/2, 4-6-0, 61435, with the J19 pilot trip - mainly Earles Cement Presflos - from Melton, possibly going to Hedon via the Outward & Inward Yards (Hull) and Wilmington & Drypool. 

c.1964 - Hessle, East Yorkshire.

It’s been a while since I checked in on this thread, so please forgive the question.

What was at (or near) Hedon to attract the Presflos?

Ta

Chris

Evening, 

I think that Mr Turner could be mistaken with the train details the Presflows are probably going to Hull Inward or Outward Yards and these will form trains to Windes and Earls Sdings as product was loaded at Melton for both these locations. I am not sure if anything was like this was unloaded at Hedon I know domestic coal traffic was and scrap and heating oils but not aware of cement. Sadly the rear of the train is obscured by the bracket signal so we can't see if its bringing any empty coal traffic from Melton Lane (Capper Pass and Earls Cement). 

Thanks, 

8K77

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2