Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 31A said:

I think both main arm and subsidiary off at the same time seems to have been a "North Eastern" thing, you can see similar in pictures taken at York and Newcastle.  No doubt Mick will know better than me but I think the idea was that the driver didn't pass an arm at danger (did the  sub arms have a red glass)?

There were large running in signs elsewhere on the ex North Eastern lines, not sure whether it was an LNER thing; the white YORK lettering on the up side by Holgate Bridge is quite well known but there is (was?) a big HARROGATE sign (not as big as the Hull one) on the concrete retaining wall at the Leeds end, on the up side, in BR (NER) tangerine and white, certainly visible a few years ago although I haven't been past there for a bit.

Hi @31A, many thanks, I'm sure Mick will be able to confirm about the signal arms. Yes, the large YORK sign (cut-out flower bed arrangement) is adajcent to where the former Up Holgate Excursion Platform used to be - I'm sure there may well have been other examples, Harrogate being one as you mention.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Dear Ian, it was NERly practice to have the Calling On arm lead the Main Arm. This stemmed from the ND were often the two arms were worked from the same lever, lever mid stroke worked the CO arm, reverse both arms cleared. I have more details.

Thanks @micknich2003 . Thinking about it, it does make sense if both signals read over the same route, an economy or sorts, only requiring one lever for both functions.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and thanks again to Patrick Welsh, on Flickr, this evening we go to Ferriby and see 47120, going by with the up daily BP tanker train, on the 11th November, 2012.

8176018691_845f72ad39_h.jpg47120 Passes Ferriby with afternoon BP tanks by Patrick  Welsh, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

This photo was taken a bit earlier than 2012!  47120 was one of the Railfreight Distribution locos that were withdrawn in the early 1990s. Judging by the apparent lack of either RAF Kinloss plates or OSPREY unofficial name this photo was taken between October 1987 and September 1989.

Regards,

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Simon, for the correct details of the 47 and date from yesterday’s photo’. The caption was clearly wrong. 
Now, hopefully things are more accurate this evening, with thanks to Andy Hughes on Flickr. We go to Brickyard Lane, Melton, on the 12th May, 2000. The 37, 37801 is heading train 6D51, the 08.44 Doncaster Belmont yard to Hull Docks ‘Enterprise’ working.

50893615587_8eff6e9dac_b.jpg37801 by Andy Hughes, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

You have to watch Flickr - sometimes people don’t add a “date taken” and I think the website then automatically gives the upload date. 

Sadly so many negatives and slides sold at auction have no details at all with them.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Yes, would be good if Flickr had the option for “date unknown” or “mid-50s”

It could be always be added either to the caption or the notes underneath.

I suffered from the "date taken" when for a time my images showed date taken instead of date uploaded.  I asked flickr and got a very nice reply saying that the only way of changing the date taken is to edit each image individually.

David

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you for more about those photo’s which have no actual date information about them. It’s a frustrating situation at times, but if there’s no information with the negatives, then there must be little that can be done. Well, this evening we have a definite date, thanks to Philip Wheldale, on Flickr, of this photo’ of 37298, on a short freight, 6D85, from Hull to Doncaster, on the 12th March, 1990.

49380531171_6df4e915b0_h.jpg37298 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thanks to Atony Guppy, on Flickr, we go, this evening, to Scarborough. There is a date given of the 20th May, 1978, but it seems to be one of those auto applied ones by Flickr. The locomotive is 40 067, and it’s stood under the gantry at Scarborough number two platform. There is no other information.

40 067 under the gantry at Scarborough

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to knoxrj, on Flickr, we go to Hull Paragon station. There are no details at all, but it shows a Cravens, class 105 unit, on, maybe, a Withernsea service, in late 1956, just after first introduction. 

52224875599_ba6a42ef16_3k.jpgDMU at Hull Paragon stn by knoxrj, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

Thank you for the above picture. The DMU is a bit outside my time period, but the ex-NER Officers Saloon is very interesting. Most of them were on six wheels, but there was at least one four wheeled version, which I think was based at Hull.

I will look it up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and I wondered who would notice my slip up yesterday when I said Withernsea when I meant to say Hornsea. 😉
This evening we go to Botanic Gardens Depot, Hull, thanks to John Woolley, on Flickr. We see 37139, in the sidings, on the 12th March, 1977.

37139_1977_03_Hull

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

On 06/11/2022 at 19:37, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we go to Hull Dairycoates, in the winter of 1971. We see two 37’s, 6737 and 6738, giving out plenty of steam on a very cold day.

4160939877_5b6ef70225_b.jpgTractors in STEAM by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

The boiler will be going to assisting in stopping things from freezing up. Suspect others may be piped up. The date is earlier than 71 as 6737 was blue by August 69.

Al Taylor

Edited by 45125
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and many thanks Al Taylor, for the extra information about the photo’ from Sunday. This evening, thanks to JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we go to Cottingham, and see 37, 6810, on what may be a returning Summer Saturday extra train from Bridlington/Scarborough. The date is not known, but given as possibly c1971.

3891792323_165a8b9249_b.jpg6810 approaches Cottingham with a Summer Saturday working from Yorkshires East Coast resorts c1971 by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. It’s great to be back after some issues with my internet yesterday. Thank you, Mick, for that excellent photo’ of J73, 545. Now this evening, thanks to Philip Wheldale on Flickr, we go to Botanic Gardens depot and see 37195, on the 6th August, 1983.

32063064937_56c68ef421_b.jpg37195 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16