Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Graham, for the number of that second K3 at Filey Holiday Camp. I can only guess that the copy of the photo’ which you have will be a good deal clearer than the copy of it from Flickr. I knew that the first K3, 61913, was a Dairycoates engine, so it comes as no surprise that the other K3, 61893, was also from there. 
Bill, it was a pleasure to post that photo’ which I found on Flickr, and the whole scene would make a most excellent model. 

Well, for this evening, courtesy of a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we go back to Hull, and on Dairycoates, on a Sunday, in 1967, we can see a good number of EE Type 3’s, mostly with small yellow panels on their nose ends, having their day off.

3938285120_8425d46fe3_b.jpgLazy Sunday by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

I wonder how the one in the foreground has picked up a headcode surround from a full yellow end example,  not as if they were been scrapped  and is a bit of an effort to change them 

5 minutes ago, russ p said:

I wonder how the one in the foreground has picked up a headcode surround from a full yellow end example,  not as if they were been scrapped  and is a bit of an effort to change them 

More common than you may  think having a yellow head code hinged front, it also wasn't unknown for a GFYE one to have a green panel. Usually swapped due to a bump or faulty route indicator mechanism.

Al Taylor

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Graham, for the number of that second K3 at Filey Holiday Camp. I can only guess that the copy of the photo’ which you have will be a good deal clearer than the copy of it from Flickr. I knew that the first K3, 61913, was a Dairycoates engine, so it comes as no surprise that the other K3, 61893, was also from there. 
Bill, it was a pleasure to post that photo’ which I found on Flickr, and the whole scene would make a most excellent model. 

Well, for this evening, courtesy of a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we go back to Hull, and on Dairycoates, on a Sunday, in 1967, we can see a good number of EE Type 3’s, mostly with small yellow panels on their nose ends, having their day off.

3938285120_8425d46fe3_b.jpgLazy Sunday by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Nice detail with the front right Loco receiving a replacement head code box surround off a full yellow end example! 

edited to say yes I hadn’t seen that this had been commented upon already…

Edited by ianmacc
Info

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we stay in Hull, and, courtesy of a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, we cross over to Botanic Gardens Depot, and we can see, on the 1st August, 1978, 37105 ticking over, whilst one of the local 03’s, wait’s it’s next duty. On the left two class 40’s, can be seen waiting their next turns, and they are 40199, and 40101.

40765507202_8c934db12e_b.jpg37105 Hull Botanic Gardens by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. This afternoon we are staying at Botanic Gardens and can see 37098, with clearly something which has happened to some of it’s lower bodyside panels. A minor collision? The date is the 16th June, 1982. The photo’ is courtesy of Syd Young, on Flickr.

39912454915_e9527009f3_b.jpg37098 Hull Botanic Gardens by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

Another great photo full of atomsphere! Funny enough, I have been watching 40106 running up and down the SVR today. 
Bit of a daft question, what is the tall building in the background? Hull Royal Infirmary? 
Regards,

Bill. 

• Agree 1

Thanks Graham. 
we moved away from Hull when I was quite young but couldn’t remember that many tall commercial buildings in the city. The only other one I could think of was the college my Dad studied at when taking his merchant navy officer exams. But I don’t recall the college being that big. 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go to Scarborough, but not for the fair, but to see an excursion train in platform one from Clacton. It’s a photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr, and it shows, on the 25th August, 1980, 37082, on that Clacton excursion. Goodness knows when the train would get back to Clacton, but it must have been very late at night.

80 112 250880 Scarborough 37082

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go to Melton Lane crossing, thanks to a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr. It shows two 31’s on train 1F33, the 16.35 Carlisle to Hull. The 31’s were 31184, and 31270, and the date was the 25th July, 1984.

51113887923_108f5038f4_k.jpgMelton Double-Header by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go to Bridlington, in August, 1962, and thanks to a photo’ by ricsrailpics on Flickr, we see K3, 61957 departing on a train of ex LMS corridor carriages for an unknown destination.

3031841818_0172029eb1_3k.jpgClass K3 no.61957. Leaving Bridlington south-bound. August 1962. by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr, we go to Cave crossing on the line from Hull to Selby. It shows 31460, with it’s number scrawled crudely on the lower cab front, hauling the 15.xx service from Hull to Liverpool, on the 10th May, 1987.

87 032 100587 31460 Cave Crossing

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go to Scarborough, thanks to a further photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr. It is the 3rd March, 1984, and 45111 is departing on the 15.00 service to Liverpool. Note the dirty carriages.

84 014 030384 Scarborough 45111

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we stay in Scarborough, courtesy of a photo’from the KDH archive on Flickr. It shows the sole preserved V2, 4771, Green Arrow. It is running into the station on the 3rd August, 1986, on the 10.00 a.m. from York.

86 044 030886 Scarborough 4771

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well for this evening, and thanks to a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, we stay in Hull, and visit Paragon Station on the 21st February, 1979, which was a very cold and gloomy day. We see Deltic, 55012, Crepello, running light engine, from the station and going under Park Street bridge. It had arrived on train 1D02, the 12.04 London King’s Cross to Hull. Note the filthy condition of Crepello. 

6478495633_801a52393b_b.jpgWinter Deltic by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

On 19/04/2022 at 18:48, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening we stay in Scarborough, courtesy of a photo’from the KDH archive on Flickr. It shows the sole preserved V2, 4771, Green Arrow. It is running into the station on the 3rd August, 1986, on the 10.00 a.m. from York.

86 044 030886 Scarborough 4771

Hopefully, it'll steam again. I believe a return to service is one of the NRM's plans.

• Informative/Useful 2

30 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Hopefully, it'll steam again. I believe a return to service is one of the NRM's plans.

Only as the NRM has changed it's rules - the only reason it couldn't steam again was that if the NRM replaced a cracked monobloc cylinder lining the loco would not be 'as withdrawn' and fall foul of rules for items preserved by the NRM.

It is interesting to read that they are now considering Green Arrow, I guess money talks, they must see more value from having it steam than stuffed and mounted.

Flying Scotsman never fell under this rule because it was a mongrel by the time they took ownership so there was nothing to preserve.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Only as the NRM has changed it's rules - the only reason it couldn't steam again was that if the NRM replaced a cracked monobloc cylinder lining the loco would not be 'as withdrawn' and fall foul of rules for items preserved by the NRM.

It is interesting to read that they are now considering Green Arrow, I guess money talks, they must see more value from having it steam than stuffed and mounted.

Flying Scotsman never fell under this rule because it was a mongrel by the time they took ownership so there was nothing to preserve.

Interesting and I hope you're right.

Two reasons I haven't bought one from Locomotion. One is it's not running at present and the other is that I have other priorities but I'd like one if it was on the mainline again.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Well for this evening, and thanks to a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, we stay in Hull, and visit Paragon Station on the 21st February, 1979, which was a very cold and gloomy day. We see Deltic, 55012, Crepello, running light engine, from the station and going under Park Street bridge. It had arrived on train 1D02, the 12.04 London King’s Cross to Hull. Note the filthy condition of Crepello. 

6478495633_801a52393b_b.jpgWinter Deltic by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Morning Rob

Strange signalling in that one platform has a route indicator and adjacent one doesn't.  Did these signals show yellow and red or were the green and red with a distant signal before the next one ?

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Russ, here is the Paragon layout and signalling,  has you can see P61 signal only had one route, hence no Route Indicator. Yours, Mick.

pull_out_1.jpg

pull_out_2.jpg

pull_out_3.jpg

pull_out_4.jpg

Cheers Mick,  do some signals have a green aspect leading to a possible red aspect?  Didn't realise it had been so complicated when was it simplified and the North side platforms closed

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you,  Mick, for reproducing the signalling diagram of Hull Paragon from the 24th April, 1938. 
Now, this evening, thanks to Syd Young on Flickr, we have ‘two photo’s for the price of one’. They enlarge very nicely, and show, in the top photo’ a class 47, 1520, and an unidentified example, with, on the right a class 37, 6701, which became 37001. 
The second photo’ is one which was taken, looking the other way to Botanic Gardens Depot, with two green liveried class 20’s, and various DMU’s. The date is March, 1971.

51015092228_a3c91c6be0_3k.jpgGround Zero by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11