Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

On 12/02/2024 at 22:12, Railpassion said:

Work finished on schedule at Bridlington 

The new arrangement allows the same speed on both lines and gives a better run for northbound trains out of No4 platform. The new turnout is close to the original 1973 start of the single line. 

20240212_162510.jpg

20240212_161124.jpg

Should be double track throughout all the way to Scarborough.

On 07/02/2024 at 19:33, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, many thanks to Mick, for the photo’ of the Wilmington swing bridge, and then those photo’s of H&BRly Class A No 117. They are very interesting, especially the intriguing third one. 

Finally, thank too for cleaning up the Middleton on the Wolds pic. It makes a big difference.

So, this evening, we have four photo’s, including another of an engineering train in connection with the relaying work. They are courtesy of John Law, knoxrj, and West Halton Sidings, all on Flickr.

The first one is a view of Howden station, H&BR, with an unidentified 0-6-0, on a freight train in early days.

humb - h&br station howden old postcard

Next, we have a photo’ of Scarborough station, with a two car class 101 unit departing on a service to Hull. The date is the summer of 1987.

nyks - met-camm dmu leaving scarborough 87 JL

The third photo’ is a lovely portrait of class G6, 247, on Springhead shed, in 1927.

G6 247

Finally, here’s a photo’ of Freightliner class 66, no. 66528, as it waits with train, 6Y37, just outside Beverley, at the signal protecting Beverley North level crossing, on Tuesday, the 6th February, 2024.

66528 waits at Beverley North

Best regards,

Rob.

East Riding of Yorkshire library service have  copies of THE HULL AND BARNSLEY Rly volumes 1&2 if you don't want to spend £70 buying your own copies..  An interesting excerpt in volume 2 discusses TYPE 4 peaks visiting Springhead for rectification work.  Does anyone have any recollection of this or any photos?

5 minutes ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

Should be double track throughout all the way to Scarborough.

Why?  The traffic really doesn't warrant it, there are enough paths to upgrade the service between Brid and Scarborough as is but not enough demand.  It's money that would be better spent running a 30 minute York Scarborough service where there is demand.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to knoxrj, John Turner, and West Halton Sidings, all on Flickr, we have four more photo’s to enjoy.

The first photo’ is a view of Gresley B16/2 4-6-0, 61435, as it languishes in Draper's scrapyard, at Sculcoates, awaiting the cutter's torch, in about October, 1964.

c.10/1964 - Sculcoates Goods Yard, Hull, East Yorkshire.

The second photo’ shows a class J25, approaching Scarborough, from Whitby, on the 6th September, 1952.

J25 near Scarborough 6 September 1952

Next we have a photo’ of LNER, ex-NER class E5, 1468, at Hull Springhead, in c1927.

LNER class E5 No 1468

Finally, we have a photo’ of class 20’s, DRS' 20302 and 20305, at Gilberdyke, on an RHTT working, on the 17th November, 2018.

Gilberdyke Twenties

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

3 hours ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

East Riding of Yorkshire library service have  copies of THE HULL AND BARNSLEY Rly volumes 1&2 if you don't want to spend £70 buying your own copies..  An interesting excerpt in volume 2 discusses TYPE 4 peaks visiting Springhead for rectification work.  Does anyone have any recollection of this or any photos?

The BR Sulzer 4s came to Springhead for Turbo modifications, the turbine blades were coming adrift so modified turbos with wire strengthening were fitted. Some exhaust mods were also carried out.

Al Taylor

Edited by 45125
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, Boris said:

Why?  The traffic really doesn't warrant it, there are enough paths to upgrade the service between Brid and Scarborough as is but not enough demand.  It's money that would be better spent running a 30 minute York Scarborough service where there is demand.

WHY?, Have you ever sat on a train at Bridlington going up to Scarborough waiting for the for the train from Scarborough to clear the single line section coming in the opposite direction, when it's running late!. If one train is delayed then the knock on effect is two trains running late.  As for demand, trains are rammed between those two resorts, especially at weekends.  Interesting column in HDM flashback from early 1970's front page the other week explaining British rails sabotage of the Hull -Scarborough line, They wanted to close the line down to save money due to loss of subsidy.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, 45125 said:

The BR Sulzer 4s came to Springhead for Turbo modifications, the turbine blades were coming adrift so modified turbos with wire strengthening were fitted. Some exhaust mods were also carried out.

Al Taylor

Would be fantastic if anyone had any pictures of Peaks at Springhead, or even on test runs up to willerby.  One thing does surprise me, that they would be allowed over the bridges at Calvert Lane.  I never saw a Peak on the over head railway to the docks, i presume due to weight restrictions

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

Would be fantastic if anyone had any pictures of Peaks at Springhead, or even on test runs up to willerby.  One thing does surprise me, that they would be allowed over the bridges at Calvert Lane.  I never saw a Peak on the over head railway to the docks, i presume due to weight restrictions

Peaks did work down to the Docks, the last one I saw as kid was on a MOD Special just before the withdrawal of the class circa 1988. 

2 hours ago, 8K77 said:

Peaks did work down to the Docks, the last one I saw as kid was on a MOD Special just before the withdrawal of the class circa 1988. 

I'm intrigued, which one was it? and the location.  That spring and summer i used to see 45007 regularly haul the Healy mills coal train past HESSLE HAVEN at 8pm, others seen 45103 and 45113.  I was 14 and retired from train spotting after that when i realized how daft it was!.

6 hours ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

Would be fantastic if anyone had any pictures of Peaks at Springhead, or even on test runs up to willerby.  One thing does surprise me, that they would be allowed over the bridges at Calvert Lane.  I never saw a Peak on the over head railway to the docks, i presume due to weight 

Peaks were certainly used on part of the branch when hauling visiting football specials to Boothferry Park, then running into Paragon to run around.

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

WHY?, Have you ever sat on a train at Bridlington going up to Scarborough waiting for the for the train from Scarborough to clear the single line section coming in the opposite direction, when it's running late!. If one train is delayed then the knock on effect is two trains running late.  As for demand, trains are rammed between those two resorts, especially at weekends.  Interesting column in HDM flashback from early 1970's front page the other week explaining British rails sabotage of the Hull -Scarborough line, They wanted to close the line down to save money due to loss of subsidy.

Hell, where to start. 

There's a lot of bullhead rail on there still on ash ballast, hence the frequent TSRs that appear down there, fix that and you add recovery time - lift them and those and that's nearly 10 minutes Brid to Scarborough recovery time available, plus the existing 20+ minute turnaround at Scarborough.

Inability to run longer trains, the ABCL at Hunmanby station prevents this in the Down direction, that would be better off CCTV but you'd need to split a track circuit - doubled capacity every hour immediately.

Filey is signalled for a Scarborough to Filey shuttle service, reinstate them the & through trains on the Up then don't stop at Filey

Run an additional service at a peak time that utilises the existing timetable gap at peak times - this happens with a limited stop service on a Summer Sunday and it it NEVER full though trust me.

A later service from Scarborough to Hull would be good too

That's the simpler and realistic solution.  Redoubling that bit of the HBS would cost an absolute bomb as you have to slew the single line over in places and resignal the whole lot to TCB and upgrade all the Xings for what is actually a really small benefit, trains at only held at Brid if they are more than 25 minutes late to Scarborough, at that point a few extra minutes doesn't make that much difference.  If they are more than 40 minutes late Northern will often terminate them at either Brid or Filey and put the passengers on the following train which, unless there has been some disaster that is causing havoc, is generally on time.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

As they were RA6 weight would be no problem as other RA6 locos worked over the bridges at Calvert Lane.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Boris, for the most informative and detailed explanation of why things are the way they are between Bridlington and Scarborough. I can only agree with you, and the service is the best we have had between those places for a very long time. 

So, time for another four photo’s courtesy of knoxrj, and Andy Hughes, both on Flickr.

The first photo’ is not perfect, but is a good shot of class G5, 1701, at Hull Paragon station, in the 1930’s, with a Sentinel Cammell steam railcar on the left.

1701 (67243)

Next we have a photo’ of Alexandra Docks shed, in c1925, which includes Y7 No 985, Y7 984 and J74 No 82, among the other locomotives.

Alexandra Docks shed c1925

The third photo’ shows class G5, 7305, on a Beverley to Hull, Push and Pull train, near Cottingham, on a sunny 19th July, 1947. 

7305 (673050

Finally, thinking of Cottingham, here’s a much more up to date view of Royal Scotsman liveried 37428, as it stands just north of Cottingham Station, while fresh ballast is unloaded onto the adjacent trackbed. It would later work train, 8T61, the 20:00 Cottingham to Doncaster. 18th March, 2001.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This Saturday evening we have four photo’s courtesy of Paul Kearley, 54A Photography, John Turner, and Simon Beeston, all on Flickr.

The first one is a view of Gresley Class K3/2 2-6-0, 61846, as it stands in Northstead Sidings, Scarborough, on the 18th May, 1959.

Next we have a photo’ of class D20, 62360, at Hull Botanic Gardens 24th August, 1952.

D20 BR 62360 at Hull Botanic Gardens 24-08-1952

The third photo’ shows the smokebox and nameplate of class B1 4-6-0, 61012, Puku, whilst it pauses at Brough with a Hull bound semi-fast , in c August, 1960.

c.08/1960 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Finally, we have a photo’ of train, 5Z63, the 13:22 Carnforth Steamtown to Hull, on the 6th May, 2016. Top and tailed by 57315 and 57313.

FERRIBY 060516 57315

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

On 22/02/2024 at 22:50, Boris said:

Hell, where to start. 

There's a lot of bullhead rail on there still on ash ballast, hence the frequent TSRs that appear down there, fix that and you add recovery time - lift them and those and that's nearly 10 minutes Brid to Scarborough recovery time available, plus the existing 20+ minute turnaround at Scarborough.

Inability to run longer trains, the ABCL at Hunmanby station prevents this in the Down direction, that would be better off CCTV but you'd need to split a track circuit - doubled capacity every hour immediately.

Filey is signalled for a Scarborough to Filey shuttle service, reinstate them the & through trains on the Up then don't stop at Filey

Run an additional service at a peak time that utilises the existing timetable gap at peak times - this happens with a limited stop service on a Summer Sunday and it it NEVER full though trust me.

A later service from Scarborough to Hull would be good too

That's the simpler and realistic solution.  Redoubling that bit of the HBS would cost an absolute bomb as you have to slew the single line over in places and resignal the whole lot to TCB and upgrade all the Xings for what is actually a really small benefit, trains at only held at Brid if they are more than 25 minutes late to Scarborough, at that point a few extra minutes doesn't make that much difference.  If they are more than 40 minutes late Northern will often terminate them at either Brid or Filey and put the passengers on the following train which, unless there has been some disaster that is causing havoc, is generally on time.

Thankyou for your very detailed synopsis on this subject,  but i'm not wholly  convinced.  Capacity, speed and connectivity seems to be the mantra  of the modern railway and passengers travelling twix Hull and Scarborough get a raw deal.  The last time i travelled to Filey was in 2021 and passengers numbers where very healthy.  The last time i went Scarborough was in 2019 and people had to stand in the aisles until Bridlington on the return; large numbers de-trained to my surprise; OK it was pre-pandemic.   The line was heavily upgraded between Hull and Driffield i believe a few years ago, heavy engineering work to improve line speeds.  So if the will is there especially the political will, improvements can be done.  A train breaking down on a single line section causes delay and chaos on any busy railway.

• Agree 1

On 22/02/2024 at 22:29, birdseyecircus said:

Peaks were certainly used on part of the branch when hauling visiting football specials to Boothferry Park, then running into Paragon to run around.

Paul

as a kid between 1983 and 1988 i used to go for my dinner at my aunties at her railway cottage at Hessle Haven when most games played on a Saturday and i never saw one!.  My uncle was a retired signalman by that time and he used to make a list of all loco's passing the house during the past week for me.   45/1's where regular performers on passenger trains but 45/0's were very rare birds.  You might get one on a freightliner if you where lucky or the 15:30 Leicester train, The gaps in my Platform five pocket books bear testimony to this.  My query was did Peaks ever work over to the eastern docks and i never personally saw one on a booked freight train.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

Thankyou for your very detailed synopsis on this subject,  but i'm not wholly  convinced.  Capacity, speed and connectivity seems to be the mantra  of the modern railway and passengers travelling twix Hull and Scarborough get a raw deal.  The last time i travelled to Filey was in 2021 and passengers numbers where very healthy.  The last time i went Scarborough was in 2019 and people had to stand in the aisles until Bridlington on the return; large numbers de-trained to my surprise; OK it was pre-pandemic.   The line was heavily upgraded between Hull and Driffield i believe a few years ago, heavy engineering work to improve line speeds.  So if the will is there especially the political will, improvements can be done.  A train breaking down on a single line section causes delay and chaos on any busy railway.

The bad bit is Driff to Seamer and there have been 3 blockades in the past 18 months with another one planned later this year but they are still huge amounts to do to do something as basic as lift the regular loco hauled ban north of Bridlington.

Recovering a failed unit on the single line wouldn't be as time consuming as you would think these days with GSMR and mobile phones, a compatible recovery set is always on its way to either Scarborough or Bridlington and its just a matter of detonators down and briefing the recovery driver these days, what causes far more chaos is a track circuit failure which results in modified working which absolutely destroys the timetable, you may as well go to a 3 hourly service at that point.

There seems to be little will to upgrade anything at the moment, the plans to turn Seamer station into an excellent park and ride facility died a death at the first hurdle which was a shame because its ideally placed on the A64.

3 hours ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

as a kid between 1983 and 1988 i used to go for my dinner at my aunties at her railway cottage at Hessle Haven when most games played on a Saturday and i never saw one!.  My uncle was a retired signalman by that time and he used to make a list of all loco's passing the house during the past week for me.   45/1's where regular performers on passenger trains but 45/0's were very rare birds.  You might get one on a freightliner if you where lucky or the 15:30 Leicester train, The gaps in my Platform five pocket books bear testimony to this.  My query was did Peaks ever work over to the eastern docks and i never personally saw one on a booked freight train.

We lived in view of the freight line but it was obscured by houses with just glimpses  of trains. I did find this on Flickr by John Cook.

46037  Bradford - Boothferry park footex, laying over at Hull Paragon

Paul. 

46037 in the sidings at Hull after working the 1239 Bradford - Boothferry Park footex 31/3/84

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we have four more photo’s courtesy of knoxrj, dubdee, Charlie Verrall, and Andy Hughes, all on Flickr.

The first one is a view of class G5, 67248, at Malton, July, 1955. Again, I have included this since G5’s worked the line to Driffield when it was open.

LNER 67248 at Malton July 1955

The second photo’ shows class J72, 69023, Joem, at York Layerthorpe, on the 13th May, 1978. A shame the line did not succeed as a tourist line.

13-05-78 York Layerthorpe 69023

Thirdly, we have a photo’ of class J23, 2445 and class J74, 88, at Springhead shed, in possibly the late 1920’s. Apologies about the condition of the photo’, but it is of local interest.

J23 2445 and J74 88

The final photo’ shows 56048, as it leads a rake of mgr empties past Brickyard Lane, Melton, on the 12th May, 2000.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

7 hours ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

45s had a spell in the 70s were they where regular visitors, some of which was crew training for Hull drivers, plus route refreshes for West riding men. In the 80s the 45/1s regular visitors after 84. The summer Saturday services were mostly 45/0s. The 45/0s very early visited on freight work, but did occasionally visit. The 46s appeared in the 60s, infrequent during the 70s but the 80s till their demise brought several visits on both passenger and freight.

Al Taylor 

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 45125 said:

45s had a spell in the 70s were they where regular visitors, some of which was crew training for Hull drivers, plus route refreshes for West riding men. In the 80s the 45/1s regular visitors after 84. The summer Saturday services were mostly 45/0s. The 45/0s very early visited on freight work, but did occasionally visit. The 46s appeared in the 60s, infrequent during the 70s but the 80s till their demise brought several visits on both passenger and freight.

Al Taylor 

D99 Third Carabinier turned up on a car special in 1970, quite a suprise as it trundled past our house, we lived off Chants Ave. They looked big, but as 45125 says they were RA6 so within the High Levels limits.  I think for me, it was at the time second only in rarity to the Cuban "class 47s" which I saw thanks to being off school with measles !   

• Like 3