Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of John Turner, fishermandave89, Grahama5531, and Syd Young, all on Flickr, we have a further four photo’s to enjoy.

The first one shows Dairycoates allocated WD "Austerity" 2-8-0, 90272, as it approaches Brough with a Hull-bound Class H freight, on the 29th June, 1963.

29/06/1963 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

The next photo’ is a view of Bridlington, in possibly 1983, with a class 40, and a class 31, on an engineering train. No other details are given.

class 40 & 31 at bridlington 1986

The third photo’ shows a hybrid class 123/124 four car unit on the 14.33 Hull to Manchester service, as it passes Gilberdyke Junction, on the 14th February, 1981. 

123 DMU

Finally, here’s a photo’ of a 47, with a red tail light showing, 47203, as it brings train, 6D85, the 12:25 Saltend to Doncaster Belmont Speedlink through the now-demolished Melton Halt on the 11th April, 1988.

Melton Speedlink

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

On 22/02/2024 at 16:12, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

Would be fantastic if anyone had any pictures of Peaks at Springhead, or even on test runs up to willerby.  One thing does surprise me, that they would be allowed over the bridges at Calvert Lane.  I never saw a Peak on the over head railway to the docks, i presume due to weight restrictions

I remember seeing 45036 heading a Saltend bound tank train across Newland Avenue bridge sometime early-mid80s.   

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of Syd Young, Mark Walker, and knoxrj, all on Flickr, here are four more photo’s to enjoy.

The first one shows NER, E5, 1477, at Bridlington, sometime between 1912 and 1918.

NER E5 No 1477

The second photo’ is a view of class D2, 4387, again at Bridlington, in c1933.

D2 4387 (62184)

Thirdly we have a photo’ of a Deltic, which having arrived with train 1D00, the 08:05 King's Cross to Hull, an incredibly filthy 55022, Royal Scots Grey has an energetic enthusiast for company as it runs back into Paragon station on the 28th December, 1979.

Dirty Deltic

Finally, here’s a photo’ of 50044 'Exeter' making a rare appearance for the class between Hull and Scarborough as it works train, 5Z84, the Beverley-Hull Dairycoates ECS of "A Beverley Christmas Carol" on the afternoon of the 18th December, 2021.

50044,Cottingham

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mick, for posting the excellent photo’s and diagrams of Barmby, on the H&BR. They are indeed most inspiring.

Now, this evening, courtesy of Simon Beeston, 54A Photography, and Grahama5531, all on Flickr, we can enjoy four more photo’s.

The first one is a view of a two car class 110 Calder Valley unit, seen departing Scarborough, for York, in circa 1983.

110 DMU

The second photo’ shows 31413, on the Saturday, 10.33 Hull to Scarborough service, loco hauled vice a DMU, as it approaches its destination. No date given, but might be 1980.

Next we have a photo’ of Thompson Class B1 4-6-0, 61032, ‘Stembok', as it runs light through Dairycoates Yard, Hull, on the 15th July, 1964.

61032 Stembok

Finally, here’s a photo’ of 47826, at Gilberdyke, on a railtour, on the 2nd August, 2008.

GILBERDYKE 020808 47826

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

The photo of 31413 is a bit later than 1980 as it has been HGRed, so 85 or 86. plus the the mixture of mk1s and 2 would also put in the 85-86 time Fram when BG had maintenance of both types.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mike, for that wonderful post and the two photo’s. I hope you might be able to post a bit more in the thread when are able to, I really have enjoyed all you have had to say.

Well, this evening, we have four more photo’s thanks to John Law, loose_grip_99, and Syd Young, all on Flickr.

The first one is a view of Bubwith, on the Market Weighton to Selby line, with a freight train in c1910.

humb - bubwith station ner x freight train

Next we have a photo’ of D24’s, 2426, and 2427, at Springhead shed, in c1928.

humb - lner 2426 x 2427 springhead shed hull c1928

The third photo’ shows preserved Black 5, 5305, on the 28th December, 1981, with the locomotive simmering in Hull Paragon station, after returning from Scarborough via York.

Hull Paragon Street East Yorkshire 28th December 1981

Finally, here’s a photo’ of 47555, as it arrives at Brough, the last stop before it's final destination, with train, 1D01, the 09:44 King's Cross to Hull, on the 11th April, 1988.

47555 - Brough

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, mikemeg said:

We moved on into the main hall of this place and here the impressions flooded into the mind. The stygian gloom of this soot encrusted place, even on a sunny afternoon, was palpable. There was almost no noise in this place save for the barely audible sound of steam hissing, water dripping and  the sound of pigeons flying and cooing up in the roof beams of this enormous building. Great shafts of sunlight punctuated the gloom, where glass panels in the roof were broken or missing. These shafts of sunlight, almost tangible, struck the floor, illuminating pools of water and oil which would reflect the colours of the rainbow. Some would illuminate parts of a locomotive, occasionally gleaming off newly applied paint and lining. But everywhere stillness! Tomorrow this place would echo to the sounds of a working railway, hustle and bustle; today was their 'day off' and the locomotives rested in silence.

Wonderfully evocative of so many engine sheds on a Sunday, reminding me of a couple of Sunday visits to York shed followed by a trip accross the road to the staff canteen for a very hearty breakfast!

Many thanks,

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 30368 said:

Wonderfully evocative of so many engine sheds on a Sunday, reminding me of a couple of Sunday visits to York shed followed by a trip accross the road to the staff canteen for a very hearty breakfast!

Many thanks,

Thanks Richard,

The above 'opus' is now finished and illustrated with photos so that it meets the criterion of the thread's title. I have to say, writing and illustrating this was a very pleasant task and rekindled all sorts of memories.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

XH558

Re the last photo of Avro Vulcan XH558 at Beverley in the above posting, here are a couple of other photographs of this same machine. These were taken, by me, at Scarborough during June of 2015, on Armed Forces Day and yes, this is the actual Avro Vulcan XH558 during its final season of flying displays. Its last flight was during October 2015 after which it became a static display.

In the tradition of bombers carrying names - B17's Memphis Belle, Sally B, etc - this aircraft carried and carries the name Spirit of Great Britain, though not the exotic artwork of the B17's, B29's or some of the wartime Halifaxes and Lancasters.

This was the last of the 134 Vulcans, built for the RAF, to remain in flying condition though for many of its last flying years it was operated by a preservation group.

The photos were taken on a Canon EOS 1100 SLR with a telephoto lens, using a shutter speed of 1/5000th of a second.

An awesomely beautiful aeroplane!

Cheers

Mike

IMG_0187.JPG.93ee98dc7a08505f8f3a6ef5d24e2db6.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG.83da0343835106af721c87c485e53335.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mike, for those couple of excellent photo’s of the Avro Vulcan XH558. It’s fascinating to see those photo’s of the plane that the 37 was named after. 

Now this evening, we have four photo’s thanks to Andy Mason, John Law, and trainsofhull, all on Flickr. 

The first one is a view of H&BRwy, 2-4-0, 33, at Springhead shed in pre grouping days.

humb - h&br 2-4-0 33 springhead

The second photo’ shows a further H&BRwy locomotive, this one being a Kirtley, 0-6-0T, 4, again at Springhead shed in pre grouping days.

humb - h&br kirtley 0-6-0t 4 springhead shed hull

Thirdly, we have an undated photo’ of 45140, as it passes the junction at Seamer West with a nice rake of Dogfish on the line to York.

45140 Seamer

Finally, here’s a photo’ of 20205, passing under the overall roof at Beverley on train, 3S15, Bridlington to York Thrall, on the 15th October, 2018.

IMG_9096

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

The photo of the Class 20 above.

Amazing to realise that the locomotive was then probably fifty five years old. The footbridge, which is a North Eastern Railway cast example, is at least one hundred years old and the station roof, under which the train is passing, is probably more than one hundred and fifty years old.

Our railway heritage illustrated in one photograph.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Mick, for the excellent photo’ of a G5 hauled - despite being push and pull fitted - train for Hull at Willerby, in 1955. It is just so full of detail and atmosphere.

And thank you, too, for those better photo’s of those two H&BR locomotives.

This evening, courtesy of Andy Mason, knoxrj, John Turner, and Paul Ashton, all on Flickr, we have four photo’s to enjoy.

The first photo’ shows NER, 2-4-0, 1268, at Bridlington in pre grouping days.

NER 1268

Next we have a photo’ of Derby built (1960) 350hb 0-6-0DE D3944, as it shunts Shirebrook (Eastern Region) Cowans Sheldon & Co Ltd 30T Steam Breakdown Crane DE331160 with matchtruck DM770006 at Dairycoates (50B) MPD, Hull, in c1969.

c.1969 - Dairycoates (50B) MPD, Hull, East Yorkshire.

The third photo’ is a view of 37421, propelling coaching stock into platform 1 at Scarborough, to form a train to either Manchester or Liverpool, in the 1980’s. I’m a bit vague about the details unfortunately.

37421 scarborough

Finally, here’s a present day photo’ of 66728 "Institution of Railway Operators" at Gilberdyke, on train, 6D25, the 0850 Rylstone Tilcon (Gbrf) to Hull Dairycoates Tlcn Gbrf, on Tuesday the 19th March, 2024.

66728 "Institution of Railway Operators" at Gilberdyke

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

Signals over the years

Looking through the myriad photographs on this thread, as well as the ever changing nature of the motive power and rolling stock, there were aspects of the railway scene, in East Yorkshire, which changed much more slowly and which were 'constants' for very much longer. Nowhere was this truer than with the great signal gantries and bridges, made for the North Eastern Railway by McKenzie and Holland of Worcester.

Those delicate lattice structures supporting the North Eastern's penchant for signalling every conceivable movement, made these structures an integral part of the railway scene for the best part of a century. For essentially functional pieces of equipment, these structures were incredibly elegant things and did much to enhance the 'look' of the railway. Almost the last of these great structures, which became iconic, was the Falsgrave signal bridge, which, in modified form now stands at one end of Grosmont Station on the NYMR.

Some years ago, I began to scratch build models of some of these incredible structures but where to find drawings. The answer to this was nowhere! Oh there were diagrams, outlines on track plans, etc. but nowhere could I find 4mm scale drawings. So I produced some, in fact quite a few. Using photographs and armed with certain key dimensions and using a 'home made' piece of 3D analytic software I was able to get pretty close (within 1/2 of one percent) of the key dimensions.

So a few photographs of some of the drawings thus produced (and their prototypes), which are all hand drawn, and one of the resulting models. They are Falsgrave, Barlby West and Hull West Parade.

The model is, of course, a signal bridge which stood at Hessle Haven, though I have also modelled some of the Scarborough installations.

Cheers

Mike

P2020030.JPG.0e5500ba229c534ec7f29c76cc7dc4d1.JPG

BARLBY20.jpg.e47749471e228a15f18e40d668a75b5d.jpg

P2040031.JPG.5a907b8e4b09571cc57d897709b25b0b.JPG

WESTPARADE1937.JPG.1a62a6c83dc28b7ed681337a8e6633c4.JPG

P2140017.JPG.d77cca3b844aa4d0a5978d8342e7502f.JPG

P1150002-2.JPG.2a9b0fa0f30a76b433f245cf7833f28c.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

52 minutes ago, mikemeg said:

Looking through the myriad photographs on this thread, as well as the ever changing nature of the motive power and rolling stock, there were aspects of the railway scene, in East Yorkshire, which changed much more slowly and which were 'constants' for very much longer. Nowhere was this truer than with the great signal gantries and bridges, made for the North Eastern Railway by McKenzie and Holland of Worcester.

Their delicate lattice structures supporting the North Eastern's penchant for signalling every conceivable movement, made these structures an integral part of the railway scene for the best part of a century. For essentially functional pieces of equipment, these structures were incredibly elegant things and did much to enhance the 'look' of the railway. Almost the last of these great structures, which became iconic, was the Falsgrave signal bridge, which, in modified form now stands at one end of Grosmont Station on the NYMR.

Some years ago, I began to scratch build models of some of these incredible structures but where to find drawings. The answer to this was nowhere! Oh there were diagrams, outlines on track plans, etc. but nowhere could I find 4mm scale drawings. So I produced some, in fact quite a few.

Using photographs and armed with certain key dimensions and using a 'home made' piece of 3D analytic software I was able to get pretty close (within 1/2 of one percent) of the key dimensions.

So a few photographs of the drawings thus produced, which are all hand drawn, and one of the resulting models. They are Falsgrave, Barlby West and Hull West Parade.

The model is, of course, Hessle Haven, though I have also modelled some of the Scarborough installations.

Cheers

Mike

P2020030.JPG.0e5500ba229c534ec7f29c76cc7dc4d1.JPG

P2040031.JPG.5a907b8e4b09571cc57d897709b25b0b.JPG

P2140017.JPG.d77cca3b844aa4d0a5978d8342e7502f.JPG

P1150002-2.JPG.2a9b0fa0f30a76b433f245cf7833f28c.JPG

What happened to the Hessle Haven Layout you was doing??