RMweb

Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Premium

I cannot possibly justify a blue locomotive based in Reading, so must not buy one!  

I cannot possibly justify a blue locomotive based in Reading, so must not buy one!  

[Repeat until convinced]

Well done, Hornby, well done!

That is what I said...

until I remembered there is a blue locomotive at my prototype shed.  Not exactly the same but close enough for my purposes:  Peckett 0-4-0ST No. 2100 "William Murdoch" I caught on camera from an HST 125 while passing Southall in October.

post-14049-0-84517200-1480546660.jpg

Slow movement was mentioned.

This is the sort of thing I might expect of my H&P in preservation (under modeller's licence!).

Are you absolutely sure you "cannot possibly justify a blue locomotive based in Reading...?!?"

"Well done, Hornby, well done!" indeed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You know, just because Hattons and Hornby have sold out, doesn't mean they won't be available elsewhere...

:)

Indeed, well said! I am always amazed at how many "rare" and sold out models are still sitting on model shop shelves when I visit shops. One advantage of travelling quite a bit is the opportunity to find local model shops. A model being sold out at box shifters does however seem to be a green light to certain Ebay sellers to inflate prices.

You know, just because Hattons and Hornby have sold out, doesn't mean they won't be available elsewhere... 

:)

But if you don't have the time/opportunity/luck to encounter a retailer with an open pre-order book then you HAVE to rely on the big operators.  And if thats so, then you're out of luck for the moment.

• RMweb Gold

But if you don't have the time/opportunity/luck to encounter a retailer with an open pre-order book then you HAVE to rely on the big operators.  And if thats so, then you're out of luck for the moment.

Surely it's not that difficult?  While, like me, you might prefer a personal visit to see what you're buying there is the alternative of mail order and I got the strong impression that one retailer was dropping a hint a few posts back about what he might have available and I'm sure he won't be alone.  There will also inevitably be regional differences in the popularity of the different versions - the shop where I have my H&P Peckett on pre-order has, I know quite a lot of pre-orders for that one but not so many for the others. equally another retailer I know has very few pre-orders for the H&P one.

Shopping around by 'phone isn't necessarily expensive nowadays and there's always the 'net and email.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Then I suggest you spend a few minutes...indeed that's all it takes.....looking online/phoning a few retailers. It took me less than a minute yesterday morning.

But if you don't have the time/opportunity/luck to encounter a retailer with an open pre-order book then you HAVE to rely on the big operators. And if thats so, then you're out of luck for the moment.

I suppose you could argue that it would be much more efficient for Hornby only to sell direct to customers, rather than through retailers, then you'd have a "one stop shop".

I suspect this may not be a popular proposal, though. :)

Paul

I mainly model 7mm but I do have a 00 layout that needs finishing. I was going to buy one of these little Pecketts - when they hit the shops... Being a 7mm modeller and buying my stuff, mostly kits, at shows and shops, I had no idea that the RTR market operates this way so I seem to have missed out.

With all these hundreds of little industrial saddletanks being snapped up I can only hope that we get to see some nice new industrial layouts being posted in the UK Standard Gauge Industrial section of RMweb...

I mainly model 7mm but I do have a 00 layout that needs finishing. I was going to buy one of these little Pecketts - when they hit the shops... Being a 7mm modeller and buying my stuff, mostly kits, at shows and shops, I had no idea that the RTR market operates this way so I seem to have missed out.

With all these hundreds of little industrial saddletanks being snapped up I can only hope that we get to see some nice new industrial layouts being posted in the UK Standard Gauge Industrial section of RMweb...

As has been said in an above post, there are other retailers available, other than the big 'box shifters'  I decided on adding a second 'Dodo' to my fleet, and, having found that all of the BBS's had sold their allocations I contacted Trains 4U at Peterborough.   They had an efficient system of adding my order, asking which version l wanted from their allocation, and will call me on the day they arrive to process payment.  BTW their website is in the process of being upgraded, so don't look for the Peckett's there, just give them a call.

I'm sure a bit of trawling will produce results from other shops too, I've always had good service from Hereford Model Shop for instance.

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 2

My ordered MSC Peckett will merely replace inappropriate industrial locos. Though My other half keeps nagging me about a Christmasy themed thing for trundling around the base of the tree every year. It would be a snowy scene, and would require some pretty tight radii that the Peckett is probably very suited to. The Blue one might actually look quite nice doing that; I'm glad I placed an order early for one of each.

• Like 4

I have ordered one, the old-fashioned way. I have been to my local model shop, which is about ten minutes drive from here, and asked them to keep one for me. It will cost a bit more than from an online shop but there's no postage to add on and no driving to the Royal Mail depot to collect it when they inevitably try to deliver it whilst I'm at work.

So... without me having to trawl through all 30 pages of this topic, do we know if there's space inside to fit DCC sound?

• Like 5

I have ordered one, the old-fashioned way. I have been to my local model shop, which is about ten minutes drive from here, and asked them to keep one for me. It will cost a bit more than from an online shop but there's no postage to add on and no driving to the Royal Mail depot to collect it when they inevitably try to deliver it whilst I'm at work.

So... without me having to trawl through all 30 pages of this topic, do we know if there's space inside to fit DCC sound?

From the service sheet, (on line), the chassis is confined to the middle, so the saddle tank sides are free unless filled with a block ballast not shown on the drawing. So each side should be free for the sound chip on one side and a speaker on the other. The position for the socket is in the left tank (from front) and standard chip at the front in the smokebox, but that's only going on the service sheet details.

Stephen.

• Like 1

Direct ink to the service sheet here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103556-Hornby-announce-peckett-w4-0-4-0st/page-18&do=findComment&comment=2357386

P

• RMweb Gold

My ordered MSC Peckett will merely replace inappropriate industrial locos. Though My other half keeps nagging me about a Christmasy themed thing for trundling around the base of the tree every year. It would be a snowy scene, and would require some pretty tight radii that the Peckett is probably very suited to. The Blue one might actually look quite nice doing that; I'm glad I placed an order early for one of each.

0-4-0 steam engine, Christmasy, tight radius curves, you say?

r1185_track.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 2

Theres a 'bespoke' Hornby 4 pin (non sound) decoder so I am guessing fitting sound will be a hard wire job. Hopefully there will be a Paul Chetter shows you how article in Hornby Mag!

I am waiting to see how he manages it with the Wickham trolley

Edited by johnd

Theres a 'bespoke' Hornby 4 pin (non sound) decoder so I am guessing fitting sound will be a hard wire job. Hopefully there will be a Paul Chetter  shows you how article in Hornby Mag!

Talking to them at Hornby there is only JUST enough space inside for the 4-pin decoder with all available space inside packed with metal for adhesion.  I'm not convinced there will be anywhere other than that delightfully open cab to place sound.

Les

Has anyone located a source of these little engines where the pre-order price is below the £70 at Hattons? I keep hearing about loads of bargains out there, but I can't seem to actually find any of them.

Is there also any more information about when these will be released? I'm getting one as a xmas present for someone (she's nuts about anything Huntley and Palmers) and I'd like to practise my excuses early if it doesnt arrive in time....

• Like 1

It hardly matters in the overall scheme of things, all sales to Hornby are completely vital, but does seem odd they work like this on deliveries, and still have no date given to the British model trade, (checked this morning with major Hornby supplier),, although the Hornby website suggests Christmas Eve for release of the Dodo version, a bit late for Xmas, if like myself I am forced to buy mail order due to being housebound. I hope they spread the three releases out a bit, all three are on order!

Speaking to a couple of American friends on Skype, they have them on order too, via  US distributors, and word seems to be spreading about the model standards etc., in the US modelling community, mainly I suspect most people buying as a collectors item.

Scratch building or kit assembly to this sort of RTR standard is pretty pointless, lets hope they are planning more Industrial or small main line locos in a similar vein.

I already have some brass plates ready to add to the locos, the first retaining the Dodo Identity. I hope just large enough to cover the painted on ones. I ordered them with a large solid brass border so that it can be filled down to an exact fit.

I have prepared a small industrial scene on a board shelf to display and run with an off board connection to the main layout. Stock is no problem, the only change to the loco will be three link screw couplings, although I might be tempted to fit Kadee couplings to ease shunting. The only issue is how minimal the radius can be with the buffers and a knuckle coupling. The minimum radius is about 7 inches, with code 40 PC track, doubled as tram style rails, buried in cobble stone road way and a yard with the gauge eased on the corners. Not sure the Kadee will engage on a curve like this to couple up, or miss the jaws on approach.

Might fit a working crane, built many years ago, which needs modern servo control added, that lifts magnetically from wagons suitable loads like crates. It was built for remote operation by wire. It is all brass construction, and quite easy to convert to servo controls. It is in pieces on the bench at the moment to service all the joints etc, and prepare it for alteration to powered use.

Stephen

• Like 1

Hi Bertiedog,

I do get your concerns regarding delivery - but as been suggested earlier the boat to Australia is going to arrive quicker than the one coming into the UK.

Why send them to the UK from China to then send them back - it is added cost.

Also if you have a one release date across the World where they become available at the same time it may be that someone in Australia is sat on stock for 1 month without it being able to sell the model and getting the cash in.

Hornby website is currently saying 11/12/2016 for Dodo and 24/12/2016 for the Huntley and Palmers - these I suspect are worst case scenarios as if it gets stuck in customs it could be + 2 weeks!

I'm 100% sure it will be worth the wait. For what it's worth I have Dodo on order and am getting sweaty palms now waiting for it!

Stuart

• Like 2