Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Yes that's the idea. Or preserved examples that have carried different liveries since withdrawal from industry. I think if they did the research they could find enough examples without having to resort to fictional liveries.

For example there's a lovely looking example here which is at the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Railway. Now I doubt that was it's original livery, but as it's preserved it's authentic. Needs a change to the dome/safety valves, but nothing drastic. But that would be a good version to produce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peckett_W4_class#/media/File:SKLR_Bear.JPG

Jason

I take the point about 'authentic liveries', but as has already been mentioned on here, what most modellers (as opposed to collectors) will want, will be locos that can masquerade as a fictional works loco at a fictional factory or other operator on whoever's layout it is.

So, if the 'authentic livery' produced is like 'Dodo' or the MSC example, then for little effort, the modeller can have their fictional industrial loco in a believable livery.

The H&P example, however, presents a problem in that respect, in that it has 'Huntley & Palmers' plastered on both sides of the saddle tank (albeit very nicely done!) for everyone to see.

If further 'authentic liveries' are to be produced by Hornby, then I'd like them to be in the same vein as 'Dodo' or the MSC Peckett, ie. authentic, yes, but nonetheless sufficiently anonymous to enable the modeller to use them for their own particular fictional lineside factory, light railway etc.

Alternatively, it would be great if Hornby produced some genuinely anonymous (ie. unnamed and/or unnumbered) locos, albeit in bona fide industrial colours, such as maroon, green, some shades of blue or even yellow, and then let the modeller add the rest as they see fit (eg. Cuthbertsons Sausage Company Number 2).

What I would agree with, is that I wouldn't be very keen on seeing Pecketts marketed in completely fictional liveries that never existed previously, such as (extreme example!) - dayglo orange, pink and yellow stripes with the legend of the Haverfordwest Meat and Pie Company emblazoned on the saddle tanks in large green letters.

• RMweb Gold

On the other hand the H&P lettering is presumably removable without too much problems, if someone wanted to, given the weathered NCB one on ebay.

Looking back through the last few pages of this thread, there have been reports of the Hornby lettering/numbers being fairly easy to remove, and at least one person seems to have had problems.

The point is that if you're offered a blank canvas to begin with, you can set the pace yourself, as it were.

Unless, of course, you are actually modelling the H&P works at Reading.

• RMweb Gold

There l was minding my own business whilst walking along the street in Paignton (right where the tram stub used to be) when this geezer leaps out of a doorway shouting that he had the last Peckett on display and can't get any more. So what was l to do.......? 

Well it's a little delight and one that l had firmly resisted as a 'want' not a 'need', but boy, am l glad that l succumbed to my own 'proxy shopping'!

lt looks like it might be EM/P4able..just...! Maybe the cylinder block moulding will need cutting and widening. We'll have to see when it's pulled apart.

Just when l thought that Christmas expenditure was done and dusted, the wallet takes a bashing...again....!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking back through the last few pages of this thread, there have been reports of the Hornby lettering/numbers being fairly easy to remove, and at least one person seems to have had problems.

The point is that if you're offered a blank canvas to begin with, you can set the pace yourself, as it were.

Unless, of course, you are actually modelling the H&P works at Reading.

With one exception the trackwork for the latter is right up the Baron's street in terms of complexity with lots of tandem turnouts laid on curves - I should know (I happen to have a 40ft:1" plan of the site)  ;)

Mind you the loco shed layout is simplicity itself but I've never seen a decent pic of the building.

• Like 1

The thing is that the excellent model of 'Dodo' is in what was the 'standard' finish that Pecketts were turned out in anyway.   I've bought two Dodos, ordered works, and name-plates, for them both from 'Narrow Planet'.  Apart from a little (light) weathering I'll be entirely happy with them trundling about as 'Jane' and 'James'.   

If someone wants to do a bit of research and come up with appropriate liveries, fine.  Equally if someone wants to just devise a livery that goes with their particular lineside industry, also fine, but Hornby have produced 3 superb choices, which should cover a broad spectrum of interests, and, as l said, one of them is in what was the 'standard works finish' anyway!

• Like 1

Mind you the loco shed layout is simplicity itself but I've never seen a decent pic of the building.

Would this be it Mike?

post-508-0-67689700-1483115340.jpg

From the Britain From Above Site:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw000877?search=Reading&ref=10

I'm just guessing looking at the coal stored there, although there is plenty of other coal stacking grounds about the site and no doubt all connected by the narrow gauge system.

Checking old maps there would appear to be plenty of other building that could be candidates. There's a few locos dotted about in the views.

I note from other views on the BFA site, the building pictured above has Huntley & Palmer freshly painted on the North Facing side of the roof. Probably done specially for Aerofilms overflights?

P

• Like 2

If you still want DODO my local shop has them on their website so assume they are still in stock . Holt Model Railways and the price is a cool £98.00 plus p&p. Thats just over £10 above the Hornby website price. Make of that what you will.

• RMweb Premium

I'm really annoyed. I got a parcel from Hereford Model Centre in the post today, which said 'Shillingstone Signal Box' on the outer packaging, but that wasn't what was inside! What do I get but a tiny, blue thing. Apparently it's a 'peckett'. Doesn't look much like a signal box to me.

For anyone interested, here's a gratuitous shot of my peck...(ett):

post-6714-0-70435600-1483117058.jpg

Well, I don't know. I suppose I'm going to have to send it back. It's not what the packaging said would be inside. I can't be a home for these waifs and strays! But I know what will happen, it'll get used to me and then it won't want to leave and I'll have to look after it for the rest of its life (because I gather pecketts aren't just for Christmas, they're for life).

;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm really annoyed. I got a parcel from Hereford Model Centre in the post today, which said 'Shillingstone Signal Box' on the outer packaging, but that wasn't what was inside! What do I get but a tiny, blue thing. Apparently it's a 'peckett'. Doesn't look much like a signal box to me.

There's an old railwayman's tale in deepest, darkest Dorset, that Grumpy Sid Pecksniff, one of the regular signalmen at Shillingstone back in Victorian times, had the nickname 'Blue Peckett', because , after having been deliberately locked in the privy one cold and frosty night by the booking office clerk, who was a bit of a prankster, he is reputed to have once said that he felt 'as blue as a Peckett' when he came out and finally got back to his chair next to the fireside.

It isn't known exactly what he was referring to, as he was always known as an obscure old duffer, but it might just have been coincidence that the Pines Express had been double-headed by two of Templecombe shed's most polished Prussian blue Peckett 0-4-0STs earlier that week. One of them got preserved, you know, after having been transferred to the NCB at Kilmersdon for a few years after having been withdrawn by the LMS. It's now at Washford and looks rather good. Future limited edition idea for Hornby, perhaps?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Haulage test.

I did a haulage test on Dodo this afternoon, around my test track, which is about 60 feet of level track. All the wagons I was pulling are Bachmann BR 16-ton mineral wagons with coal load, and all are fitted with Kadee couplers.

I started with 32 wagons, but all that did was show me the parts of my "level" test track which are not level. I am going to have to fix those.

Then I took 4 wagons off, leaving 28. The loco was still not too happy with that number. When I removed another 4 wagons at last the loco was comfortable.

• RMweb Gold

Be warned, this is what happens when you buy two Hornby Pecketts, and attempt to inflate one of them, after you've consumed too much prune juice:

post-57-0-39643200-1483118280.jpg

I should add, of course, that the 7mm Peckett is the absolutely brilliant Minerva product.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

I've been having a Pacific running day with Bulleids and Gresleys taking their turns on my two circuits, and just to see if it could, I've put my Dodo on a 5 coach Gresley rake and its currently plodding around with ease! Not only that, the teak + apple green colour scheme looks fantastic. Its not something I'll be making a habit of though.

Its previous running in turns have been with 5 16Ts + brake and a MK1 SO + toad. More prototypical I feel. It is such a quiet runner - when I noticed that the wagons had stopped moving, I assumed that the loco was perhaps stuck on some dirty track or had derailed, but no, it was continuing round the circuit and approaching the rear of the train!

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 3

Haulage test.

I did a haulage test on Dodo this afternoon, around my test track, which is about 60 feet of level track. All the wagons I was pulling are Bachmann BR 16-ton mineral wagons with coal load, and all are fitted with Kadee couplers.

I started with 32 wagons, but all that did was show me the parts of my "level" test track which are not level. I am going to have to fix those.

Then I took 4 wagons off, leaving 28. The loco was still not too happy with that number. When I removed another 4 wagons at last the loco was comfortable.

Thanks for posting these results.

I think I could live content with a 24 wagon haulage capability!

It will be interesting to see Pecketts appearing on large layouts; I imagine that many will work on micros which won't be anything like 24 wagons, long!

• RMweb Gold

Would this be it Mike?

attachicon.gifH&PlocoshedMaybe.jpg

From the Britain From Above Site:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw000877?search=Reading&ref=10

I'm just guessing looking at the coal stored there, although there is plenty of other coal stacking grounds about the site and no doubt all connected by the narrow gauge system.

Checking old maps there would appear to be plenty of other building that could be candidates. There's a few locos dotted about in the views.

I note from other views on the BFA site, the building pictured above has Huntley & Palmer freshly painted on the North Facing side of the roof. Probably done specially for Aerofilms overflights?

P

That is building M5 although what it was used for is not noted on the plan.  The two road engine shed was at the opposite (eastern) end of the site and remote from just about everything else although that changed when the fireless engines came along.

Thanks for posting these results.

I think I could live content with a 24 wagon haulage capability!

It will be interesting to see Pecketts appearing on large layouts; I imagine that many will work on micros which won't be anything like 24 wagons, long!

I asked earlier on the thread but I don't think I received an answer, but what would the 1:1 scale version of a W4 be expected to handle in reality?

I have bought Dodo to make up the industrial contingent of my future Moretonhampstead branch as if preserved layout (which station is as yet undecided but I'm hoping to make a start in the Summer, most likely with Lustleigh). The storyline is that the Peckett was an early arrival on the line and heavily involved in the early years, before a period on the sidelines, returning to steam in the 2000s or 2010s as a pet/curiosity for pilot duties and odd outings on demonstration goods.

I see photos of similar classes at embryonic preserved railways and the common formation seems to be 1 mk1 + brake van, but this may be due to other operational constraints. Whilst I am interested in terms of Mk1 haulage, I'm sure most on here would be more interested in terms of 16t/equivalent wagon haulage!

I, too, picked up Di[?]do, & the other one with an odd dome.....from my local model shop, which has a full house left in stock....

Oddly, when I pulled back the outer sleeves, each Peckett was packed facing the opposite way .....

Are there male , & female Pecketts?

If so, is how they are orientated in their boxes, a clue as to which is which? 

:)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I asked earlier on the thread but I don't think I received an answer, but what would the 1:1 scale version of a W4 be expected to handle in reality?

I have bought Dodo to make up the industrial contingent of my future Moretonhampstead branch as if preserved layout (which station is as yet undecided but I'm hoping to make a start in the Summer, most likely with Lustleigh). The storyline is that the Peckett was an early arrival on the line and heavily involved in the early years, before a period on the sidelines, returning to steam in the 2000s or 2010s as a pet/curiosity for pilot duties and odd outings on demonstration goods.

I see photos of similar classes at embryonic preserved railways and the common formation seems to be 1 mk1 + brake van, but this may be due to other operational constraints. Whilst I am interested in terms of Mk1 haulage, I'm sure most on here would be more interested in terms of 16t/equivalent wagon haulage!

Although many people have used them industrial locos aren't really suitable for operation on preserved branchlines.  They tend to have small wheels and to ride poorly at any kind of speed (not even at the permitted 25mph max in many cases) because of their short wheelbases and most weren't intended for non-stop workings of several miles between stations but more for short term bursts of power in shunting work or clearing a heavy raft of wagons from a siding.

I used to have an occasional drive on a small Peckett at a preservation site and it was a lovely engine to drive but I was only travelling over very short distances and even them the ride was not wonderful.  But beggars can't be choosers and some railways persevered for years with small industrials while some are of course preserved remnants of industrial lines where such engines would have worked in the past - under very different circumstances.

• Like 2

Northern Gas Board No1 (Peckett W6) normally hauls at least two Mark 1 coaches on the CWR but can manage a third if passenger loadings demand it, ditto Peckett 1435(?) (Ivor!). Ride quality, whilst perhaps not as smooth as with Pannier 6430, is not unreasonable.

• Like 1