Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Just give it repeated beatings with the ugly stick and you may get there.

Rokeby would almost complete my collection of locos sharing names with my schools - my middle school was called Rokeby. I already have 30909 St Paul's and 47470 University of Edinburgh. Sadly I'm a bit stuck for "Joseph Hood" - might just have to make do with one of the locos named after the HMS Hood instead!

Lovely image, W4 or not.

Of course, Wirksworth was also the home to the Black Hawthorn Holwell No.3, which I believe was the prototype for the lovely High Level Black Hawthorn kit.

That is what it is buffered up to.

There are shots of that and more of Uppingham here.

http://sutherland.davenportstation.org.uk/ws-162.html

Apologise I thought it was a W4. Still good weathering reference shots. Note the british isles outline on the cylinder.

Edited by Michael Delamar

I've broken the safety valves on one of my Dodos. Can anyone suggest where I can get replacements, please?

As per a previous post regarding the whistle?

Take a look at smokey Joe's fittings?

Peter's spares list something like.....http://www.petersspares.com/peters-spares-ps24-triang-Hornby-replacement-plain-safetyvalves-pk4.ir

http://www.petersspares.com/peters-spares-ps21-triang-Hornby-replacement-whistles-pk4.ir

For whistles?

• RMweb Gold

Oh no! What have I done?

A service to all on here! now l'll know what to or what not to pull apart! 

Interesting that the cylinder casting is not metal but plastic which will make widening a good bit easier! (Ctsy Pete55 and you on S4um)....unless it's already been posted...!.

Edited by Re6/6

A service to all on here! now l'll know what to or what not to pull apart! 

Interesting that the cylinder casting is not metal but plastic which will make widening a good bit easier! (Ctsy Pete55 and you on S4um)....unless it's already been posted...!.

See Swindon123's post 1306 on this thread.....

Just been running my trio. They run exceptionally well, and in fact all were perfectly speed matched. I was able to leave them running on the same track off the same controller and they kept their ten second headway between each other for over an hour. I am pleased to report that I could find no piece of complex trackwork on my layout that caused any of them to stall. This includes double slips, insulfrog points and the annoying insulfrog crossings.

• Like 4

Interesting that the cylinder casting is not metal but plastic which will make widening a good bit easier!

But it makes the cylinder oil feeds very delicate but 10/10 to Hornby for modelling them. I just wish they were available as spares.

It brought me round to wondering if they are the smallest item ever to be injection moulded in plastic?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

I don't have any track to run my Pecketts on at the moment and am still in the planning stages of the layout on which they will run...

Could someone please do an experiment to see if a Peckett can haul 3 short wheelbase private owner wagons up a 1 in 15, please?

Thanks.

I don't have any track to run my Pecketts on at the moment and am still in the planning stages of the layout on which they will run...

Could someone please do an experiment to see if a Peckett can haul 3 short wheelbase private owner wagons up a 1 in 15, please?

Thanks.

Yes and it laughed as it did so

• Like 2

I wish Hornby would paint coloured wheels, rather than coloured plastic.

They look what they are, plastic.

Other than that, Model loco of the year?.

The light coloured plastics such as green and blue plastic seem to be the worst offenders ; darker colours do not look so bad.

Gordon A, What a gorgeous shot of the Peckett against the Mc Dougall's flour mill backdrop.

By coincidence, there is a derelict former Mc Dougall's flour mill at Horsebridge, near Hailsham

that looks similar to your model. This mill was never served by rail however.

Folk will be wanting suitable rolling stock to go with the Huntley & Palmers Peckett. In my earlier post I pointed out that the Bachmann version of H&P wagon No. 21 was inauthentic, the model being an RCH standard 7-plank wagon whereas the real No. 21 was a Gloucester 10T 6-plank wagon of 1908. The former Slaters kit 4035 is spot on for this if you can get hold of it and POWsides do the transfers (#349) though the kit they offer is for a 7-plank wagon. Presumably No. 21 was one of a batch of several.

No.21 was one of a batch of five wagons ordered in October 1908 together with a 7 year repair contract. The wagons were new and H&P paid cash. I don't as yet know what the other numbers were...

If anyone is still searching, Classic Train & Motor Bus of Leamington Spa have one Dodo and one MSC example on the shelf. The don't have a website you can use to order on-line so if you want, you'll need to Google the phone number and give them a ring tomorrow.

Didn't check the price, but mine pre-ordered from there was competative with the big box-shifters and if you visit there is a test track to make sure all is well. Several Heljan 1366s in the cabinet too if the credit card will stand it. 

And yes, I was tempted to add to the collection but not today.

I've started a topic for those who have modified, weathered or have their Pecketts in use in a proper industrial setting. I thought it would help to keep them from being swamped by the general posts about availability etc.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118513-peckett-w4-types-weathering-modifiying-and-prototype/

• Like 1