Modelmaster - making contact

stewartingram

In theory I can phone from overseas but it will be expensive and I don't want to throw good money after bad. I suppose I hoped they would reply to my emails, now as a last resort I will get a friend in the UK to try and find out what is going on.

I see.

Have you thought of a letter?

In theory I can phone from overseas but it will be expensive and I don't want to throw good money after bad. I suppose I hoped they would reply to my emails, now as a last resort I will get a friend in the UK to try and find out what is going on.

Use SKYPE : it will cost you about 50 cents. I phone the UK all the time from Australia using SKYPE.

I shall be sad to see them go. I've been using them for the last 20 years and have had nothing but good service and never any problems with the transfers themselves. They have always been my first place to go when needing transfers and name/numberplates. I do hope someone will take on the range.

It seems that after Jim decided to retire, many people asked him not to. So he won't, which I personally think is good news, and if he reads this - good on you.

He also refers to people complaining about him not answering emails, and notes that he received 7,995 emails last year!

He has changed his email address. He says " I changed my email address last month to allow customers to access me more easily, (jim@modelmaster.uk) so they've no case to answer.  If I don't answer quickly now, it's because I'm researching their question before replying."

• Like 3

Use SKYPE : it will cost you about 50 cents. I phone the UK all the time from Australia using SKYPE.

No, you will still get cheap calls if only you are using SKYPE. 

Is SKYPE similar to Skype, but for for the hard of hearing? 

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Premium

The email in full:

There were two reasons I announced last week I was going to retire later this year.

One was that I felt I wasn't giving a good enough service (criticism about not answering emails, complaints about not getting orders by return, etc.,) and the other was that I wanted time to write books & build my very own model railway.

But, it's not really what I want to do. I've spoken to a lot of customers and trade people over the weekend, and it seems I'm being hasty about my decision.  Out of all the orders sent last year we had less than a handful of complaints, and everbody ended up happy at the end of the day.  We do respond to complaints, and take them seriously when they arise .

As for the trolls who are having a rant about me on a certain website for not answering emails, I changed my email address last month to allow customers to access me more easily, (jim@modelmaster.uk) so they've no case to answer.  If I don't answer quickly now, it's because I'm researching their question before replying.

Nobody could answer 7,995 emails received over eight months, which was the total traffic going through sales@modelmaster.uk, so please, either be patient, or use the phone.  If I employ someone just to answer emails, the prices would have to go up by 40%.

Orders by return would be great! - but how would I be able to hand finish and inspect every nameplate, and check the registration on every sik screen printed decal sheet before it goes out?  We're selling quality and accuracy, not laser printed cheap transfers or crude etchings.   

I've been persuaded by discussions with 
customers and others NOT to retire at present, and I think that Elspeth is relieved about that, as I'd just be under her feet too often!  (I will take holidays in future though.)

I might consider retiral again in a few years, though!
The discount offer finishes at midnight 

jim@modelmaster.uk
01292 289770

Interesting!!!

No I have a customer in the USA that uses it but it can be hit or miss if it works OK

Most of the time it is fine. Sometimes it sounds lousy but I usually hang up and try again in 10 minutes ; that usually works. You certainly can't complain about the price !

Just to put in my two pennorth here. I have found Modelmaster (Jim and Elspeth) to be one of the best retailers in model railways for my numberplate and transfer needs. I was very upset to get the first email and very pleased to get the second one saying that he is not retiring. I have always had great service from them and am relieved that for the forseeable future they are continuing. Thank you Jim and Elspeth for a great service.

Vespa (the Britannia nut. That will give you a clue who I am.)

• Like 1

I did ask a question relating to an ad for their new product but I think it got lost in the retirement and non-retirement news : How does their new waterslide product work ? They claim it will adhere to a matt surface ie. the model does not need a gloss coat before applying the transfer.  

Edited by brian777999

• RMweb Premium

I did ask a question relating to an ad for their new product but I think it got lost in the retirement and non-retirement news : How does their new waterslide product work ? They claim it will adhere to a matt surface ie. the model does not need a gloss coat before applying the transfer.

Hi

If they are like the N gauge ones once dry you can remove the carrier film so there is nothing left to give the silvery effect.

Cheers

Paul