Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

Apart from the lights, that looks like a 59/2 through and through! It's got the cut levers for the NP buckeye (removed by EWS) and all the under frame details are from a 59/2. I wonder if they will bother with the (admittedly small) differences between the bogies on the 59/2s and the other ones

Jo

From Joel, via MREMag

"We have also announced the class 59 in OO, this will mark a new standard in OO RTR offering improved detail and usability. It is sound ready and will optionally feature a diesel specific smoke unit.

The 59 will be produced in all 3 variations, along with differing bogie configurations. It will feature fully controllable lighting (DCC only) and will have switchable control for DC users."

I don't know why companies do that! I get that everyone wants to show progress but if there are known errors in the CAD then why not explain that you know about errors x, y and z - it saves having to deal with lots of people worried that you have no idea about the differences (and then writing to you on FB or commenting here)!

Cheers, Mike

PS I am sure that I will be hoisted with my own petard about some CAD that Ben and I put out!

Well on the other hand if people just take a few seconds to think, they can save so much time. Rather than worry unnecessarily, I am pretty sure if they have so much knowledge so as to point out each and every difference within the sub-classes they can easily deduce that the CAD represents many variations. It's not that hard to sit back and come to that conclusion.

Mike it is not errors it is a publicity CAD image to show as many details as possible. It is like having a steam loco with 4 chimneys and someone saying it is wrong when it is blatantly wrong as the prototype never had 4 chimneys but did have 4 different styles of chimney.Dapol have tried to use 1 CAD image to show differing details at a presentation and now been attacked for it, what are the meant to do show multiply CADs of every variation of every loco in a 30 min presentation? unpractical I would suggest, silence and not sharing potential outcome may result though.

• Like 1

I'm interested to see this "diesel specific smoke unit" they are mentioning.

There's currently quite a few European diesel loco's with smoke effects sold under the ESU brand. So not so new to our continental cousins but something new to us Brits. I hope they can keep the price reasonable however.

• RMweb Gold

No one has attacked Dapol just questioned why they released such a CAD without an explanation! All they had to do was say this CAD is a mix of different types. Though it really isn't that difficult to show a CAD for each variant...we are talking about a few more images not a mammoth presentation!

Cheers M

Yet more froth! I'm just only too pleased that a 59 is being produced, although it must feel a bit strange to DJM.

Perhaps the advent of the 59 will persuade that nice Mr Penbits to release his bogie kit for the Bachmann 66 and then go on modify it to suit the 59.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Yet more froth! I'm just only too pleased that a 59 is being produced, although it must feel a bit strange to DJM.

Regards

It's a shame DJM can't show us what he could have done with the 59 but I would say it's just a case of one manufacturer beating another out. Happens often. Dave knows something though, so will be interesting to see what that is.

Is it that Dapol don't have the rights to all the liveries in 00 ?

Just because DJM didn't get the rights, what makes you think Dapol haven't? After all, they started their 2mm 59 project back when Dave worked for them, so they have had nearly a years head-start on DJM. Maybe DJM failed to acquire the rights because Dapol already had them? We just don't know and there is no point speculating.

Dave's comment is unfortunate and rather unprofessional IMO.

Guy

No one has attacked Dapol just questioned why they released such a CAD without an explanation! All they had to do was say this CAD is a mix of different types. Though it really isn't that difficult to show a CAD for each variant...we are talking about a few more images not a mammoth presentation!

Cheers M

Okay Mike I agree Dapol should have embedded some text into the picture so that when it got copied and posted no context could be lost. My point about the number of pictures in the presentation is valid as I was referring to the whole presentation at the open day that if it had multi picture's for every loco variation would have been over the top.

Is it that Dapol don't have the rights to all the liveries in 00 ?

Hmmm, not sure what this means. It seems to imply that some OO liveries don't have rights but aren't they basically the same as the N gauge ones so why would it only apply to OO?

I'm not sure that this obsessing with DJM and implying something underhand with Dapol is helpful. Dapol announced the 59 (in N) first and quite some time later DJM also announced them but in both N and OO. Later DJM cancelled both and then Dapol added OO to their N development. Quite sensible, simple and straightforward.

G.

Edited by grahame

From the Fareham show last w/end, I hear that DJM hasn't completely cancelled or ruled out the 59 in 00.

That project is in limbo, only held up by the lack of one licence (we already knew that).

I have also heard that the other licences are/were in place and exclusive to DJM. 

Which may present a problem for Dapol with an 00 version.

How much of this is true, I don't know?

Hmm, that sounds rather like rumour mongering IMO. You've heard something (unsubstantiated and probably third party hearsay) about one manufacturer and then try to attach the negative connotations of it on another manufacturer, implying that consequently they have a problem. But at least we now know that you're not sure if its true. Thanks for clarifying that.

G.

Cheers M

Totally agree. Or for a single image, just a single CAD of one accurate variant would've done! That along with the announcement that they're doing all 3 types would've sufficed and not caused this confusion.

From Joel, via MREMag

"We have also announced the class 59 in OO, this will mark a new standard in OO RTR offering improved detail and usability. It is sound ready and will optionally feature a diesel specific smoke unit.

The 59 will be produced in all 3 variations, along with differing bogie configurations. It will feature fully controllable lighting (DCC only) and will have switchable control for DC users."

Had all three subclasses together line astern last night, it's 59001-4 that have the extra brackets on the bogies

jo

Just because DJM didn't get the rights, what makes you think Dapol haven't? After all, they started their 2mm 59 project back when Dave worked for them, so they have had nearly a years head-start on DJM. Maybe DJM failed to acquire the rights because Dapol already had them? We just don't know and there is no point speculating.

Dave's comment is unfortunate and rather unprofessional IMO.

Guy

Fully agree with the above post. And yes very un-professional. Something that I didn't expect from a brand like DJM (So it seems as if the professionalism has been over-hyped)

How is it unprofessional? He merely stated he knows something. Nothing wrong with that.

There is no need at all to do that. Being on a vast forum like this, you'll have a large number of members blindly take it as gospel and straight come up with their own conclusions blaming Dapol. The admin has already removed posts like that from this very topic.

Does it really matter who does a Class 59? Both DJM and Dapol would have both done a detailed version. Really none will be more special than the other. Yet we've already had members show their displeasure towards Dapol for choosing to do the Class 59.

If DJM wants to produced the most detailed models and if communication via a forum is ok with him them that's all well and good. Making statements like that is unnecessary. It was an issue when Hornby chose to do the Class 71 and GWR King. They were accused of duplicating when they've already had plans to do so. So why is everyone ok with DJM duplicating?

I would hope he, and everybody else, knows 'something'. But I guess that is not the issue regarding being un-professional refers to. It's more probably the implication of such a comment concerning the issue. In such circumstances it's usually best to say nothing. But then if you can't see/understand that, then you wouldn't think its wrong, and it hardly matters.

Cheers,

G.

• Like 4

From the Fareham show last w/end, I hear that DJM hasn't completely cancelled or ruled out the 59 in 00.

That project is in limbo, only held up by the lack of one licence (we already knew that).

I have also heard that the other licences are/were in place and exclusive to DJM. 

Which may present a problem for Dapol with an 00 version.

How much of this is true, I don't know?

Hi,

I try to stay clear of comments on other manufacturers forums but I feel I must defend Dapol on this matter.

Let me clarify something for everyone.

Dapol have licences for the 59, I do not. I repeat I do not have one single licence to produce any livery for the 59!

I have a licence agreement to use DBS and EWS, but only if I sign the agreement and send it back to DBS.

Dapol have laser scanned the real thing, and I have not!

Will I be doing an N gauge 59? No

Will I be doing a OO 59? I cannot say no at this juncture, as the project is dormant / sleeping, but not cancelled.

But with such a head start and Dapol having permissions in place, I'm not sure it's a go'er.

In a 'race' such as these its first to market that invariably wins, and those that hold the Aces win more than others. Dapol, hold all the aces here, I do not hold any.

Do I know something? Yes, but although it's confidential, it will not prevent Dapol doing their 59

Does it bother me that they are doing a 59? No, they / I (at Dapol) announced it first, so why should it?

Good luck to Dapol on this, and I mean that sincerely and I'm sure it will be a lovely model.

Please note, I will not be replying to any questions to me on this project as it is not mine and would be unfair to Dapol.

I hope this clears up a few things for you all.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 8

Hi,

I try to stay clear of comments on other manufacturers forums but I feel I must defend Dapol on this matter.

Let me clarify something for everyone.

Dapol have licences for the 59, I do not. I repeat I do not have one single licence to produce any livery for the 59!

I have a licence agreement to use DBS and EWS, but only if I sign the agreement and send it back to DBS.

Dapol have laser scanned the real thing, and I have not!

Will I be doing an N gauge 59? No

Will I be doing a OO 59? I cannot say no at this juncture, as the project is dormant / sleeping, but not cancelled.

But with such a head start and Dapol having permissions in place, I'm not sure it's a go'er.

In a 'race' such as these its first to market that invariably wins, and those that hold the Aces win more than others. Dapol, hold all the aces here, I do not hold any.

Do I know something? Yes, but although it's confidential, it will not prevent Dapol doing their 59

Does it bother me that they are doing a 59? No, they / I (at Dapol) announced it first, so why should it?

Good luck to Dapol on this, and I mean that sincerely and I'm sure it will be a lovely model.

Please note, I will not be replying to any questions to me on this project as it is not mine and would be unfair to Dapol.

I hope this clears up a few things for you all.

Cheers

Dave

Well it's cleared plenty up for me! Cheers Dave for being clear and frank and putting all the rumours to bed. Now we can enjoy getting on with the Dapol 59 and nagging you about making some thing else instead! Hmmm, maybe there should be some kind of DJM wishlist...........

Well it's cleared plenty up for me! Cheers Dave for being clear and frank and putting all the rumours to bed. Now we can enjoy getting on with the Dapol 59 and nagging you about making some thing else instead! Hmmm, maybe there should be some kind of DJM wishlist...........

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78615-djm-wish-list-thread/

There has been a wishlist thread for DJM from Nov 13th 2013....

Edited by Rusty.J

• 2 months later...