Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Megapoint Controllers

• RMweb Gold

I have been using the Megapoints kit for a number of months now and generally I am very happy with what it does for me. The one area I have an issue is maintaining the servos position underneath my baseboards. I have used the aluminium conduit approach that Dave Fenton suggests but find that after a period of use, the servos are prone to small movements which ultimately results either in them losing alignment and failing to work or, on occasion, actually falling out of the conduit.

A friend told me that MERG produce a bracket of some description which holds servos in place more securely; has anyone got any experience of using these or anything similar?

Any guidance gratefully received

Rob

A friend told me that MERG produce a bracket of some description which holds servos

Yes: the Model Electronic Railway Group (MERG) produce a servo bracket.  It's a 3D printed kit, simple to assemble.  It has provision for several micro-switches that you can use, for example, to change frog polarity or switch some other accessory.  The cost is low, but you must be a member of MERG to be able to purchase. 

MERG has other brackets and accessories for mounting servos for other uses: signals, crossing gates etc.

You might like to try the Signalist SB1 servo motor. It can be mounted above or below the baseboard and has the provision for fitting a pair of V3 microswitches for end point feedback, or frog and route switching, if required. It converts 90-180 degrees of rotation in to a 5mm linear movement. The cam wheel can be rotated to give smaller movements if required when rotation of the servo is 90 degrees or less. Cam wheel can also be rotated to reverse the action. Fitting is via three screws the same as a Peco PL9 (below baseboard) or PL12 (above baseboard) mounting.

post-31590-0-99368700-1509624045_thumb.jpg

post-31590-0-23963100-1509623436_thumb.jpg

Edited by Signalist
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes: the Model Electronic Railway Group (MERG) produce a servo bracket.  It's a 3D printed kit, simple to assemble.  It has provision for several micro-switches that you can use, for example, to change frog polarity or switch some other accessory.  The cost is low, but you must be a member of MERG to be able to purchase. 

MERG has other brackets and accessories for mounting servos for other uses: signals, crossing gates etc.

Thanks for confirming MERG produce a servo bracket, unfortunately your link is of no use to non MERG member because access is restricted to members.  If you could add a picture and an indication of its price, it would enable me (and others) to make a more informed decision on the route to follow. 

Thanks

Thanks for confirming MERG produce a servo bracket, unfortunately your link is of no use to non MERG member because access is restricted to members.  If you could add a picture and an indication of its price, it would enable me (and others) to make a more informed decision on the route to follow. 

Thanks

The MERG Servo Bracket Kit will make 6 mountings, (Servos and microswitches need to be supplied separately). MERG membership cost £16 per year in the UK.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

I have been using the Megapoints kit for a number of months now and generally I am very happy with what it does for me. The one area I have an issue is maintaining the servos position underneath my baseboards. I have used the aluminium conduit approach that Dave Fenton suggests but find that after a period of use, the servos are prone to small movements which ultimately results either in them losing alignment and failing to work or, on occasion, actually falling out of the conduit.

A friend told me that MERG produce a bracket of some description which holds servos in place more securely; has anyone got any experience of using these or anything similar?

Rob

Hold them in with a bit of silicone.

Easily peeled off if you ever need to take them out.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Rob

Hi Rob,

As the servos are very cheap I have no problem in fixing them into their final position by a drop of superglue on both sides of the aluminium channel. If you have an issue with a servo you will replace it anyway, so yo can get it out of the aluminium profile with some force. 

In any case I wouldn't bend the alu profile too narrow as I am not sure if the gearbox of the servo will like to be squashed. 

And: I use aluminium profile solution on all my servos (except where I have no access as there is a baseboard former or similar)

Vecchio

• RMweb Gold

I must confess that the simple, low cost solution of gluing/siliconing the servos in place had never occurred to me. I shall be trying this as my next step and will report back on the outcome; thanks to everyone for their counsel.

Rob

The servo tape used in model aircraft provides a good way to hold a servo onto a smooth surface. It has a thin foam centre which ensures good adhesion and can be cut through to remove a servo. You can then remove the sticky bits of tape with white spirit or similar.

Here are a couple of pics of both sides of the MERG servo brackets.post-2402-0-68543100-1509728228_thumb.jpgpost-2402-0-01422300-1509728244_thumb.jpg

The two slots on each side are to mount and adjust microswitches for frog polarity or any other use for a switch. The switches are adjusted after the servo movement has been set so that the operating arm just moves the switch sufficiently to change. If you set the switch too near the arm the arm may not fully reach the end of its travel and will give you strange servo problems.

As noted above these are only available to MERG members, but are extremely good value and if you need a lot, they will still be economic even with the MERG subscription!

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of pics of both sides of the MERG servo brackets.attachicon.gifa0001.JPGattachicon.gifa0003.JPG

The two slots on each side are to mount and adjust microswitches for frog polarity or any other use for a switch. The switches are adjusted after the servo movement has been set so that the operating arm just moves the switch sufficiently to change. If you set the switch too near the arm the arm may not fully reach the end of its travel and will give you strange servo problems.

As noted above these are only available to MERG members, but are extremely good value and if you need a lot, they will still be economic even with the MERG subscription!

Thanks for the pictures of the bracket, unsurprisingly they appear similar to the bracket produced by http://www.alurailtech.co.uk/home.html The Alurailtech bracket is made of aluminium and costs £2.50. To enable a comparison of the two products, please will you advise what the MERG brackets are made of and how much they cost?

Rob

• RMweb Premium

app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=922106"]a0003.JPG[/url]

Right... so how much are they!?

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic:

The more I read RMWeb, the more I conclude that the use of initiative is becoming as much of a dying art as proofreading. :scratchhead:

Edit for spelling mistake :mosking:

My original question arose because the Kitlocker section of the MERG website is not available to non members and in my ignorance I assumed (erroneously) that this is where the price information lived.  

The answer to the question and to quote from the MERG website Accessory 681 contains '6 sets of plastic frets, locking nuts and bolts and length of piano wire to build 6 basic point motors using 9g servos such as the SG90.' The cost of 6 units made of plastic is £6.50.

My original question arose because the Kitlocker section of the MERG website is not available to non members and in my ignorance I assumed (erroneously) that this is where the price information lived.  

The answer to the question and to quote from the MERG website Accessory 681 contains '6 sets of plastic frets, locking nuts and bolts and length of piano wire to build 6 basic point motors using 9g servos such as the SG90.' The cost of 6 units made of plastic is £6.50.

Nowt wrong with your polite enquiry as far as I can see. :no:

Rob

These will be worth a look.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-00-009-N-Gauge-Servo-Brackets-Point-Control-Laser-Cut-Kits-x-10/122780575819?hash=item1c964ae84b:g:hFwAAOSw3v5Ynjx5

• RMweb Gold

These will be worth a look.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-00-009-N-Gauge-Servo-Brackets-Point-Control-Laser-Cut-Kits-x-10/122780575819?hash=item1c964ae84b:g:hFwAAOSw3v5Ynjx5

Thanks for the link. Choices of brackets now up to 3, 1 each of aluminium, wood and plastic. In pure cost terms the MERG plastic are cheapest at £1.08 per bracket (plus additional £16 MERG membership cost) with the wood nearer £2 (auctioned on Ebay hence lack of definitive figure) and the aluminium £2.50. MERG also include fixings saving a few pence. 

In addition to gluing servos in the existing aluminium conduit, I intend testing the aluminium bracket because it looks the most robust which, for what I want, offsets the higher cost. I would happily test all 3 options for comparison and report back if someone will supply a spare MERG bracket. Drop me a PM if you will and I will advise my address.  

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

When finished my west highland line layout will have in excess of 50 servos fitted under the baseboard. In addition there will be over 30 micro switches controlling point frog polarity. It will enough of a job fitting everything, I want to minimise the chance of problems down the road. My research through the RMWeb forum has found 3 types of bracket in addition to the aluminium conduit option:

Alurailtech, an aluminium bracket kit costing £2.80 pictured below (NB microswitch is not included)

post-24755-0-49425600-1511082798_thumb.jpg
Fair Price Models, a laser cut wood bracket kit costing £1.30 pictured below (NB microswitch is not included)

post-24755-0-82536900-1511082825_thumb.jpg
MERG, a plastic bracket

I am drawn to the aluminium bracket because it appears the most robust, however it is also the most expensive. To test I bought one and Ricky Waldron was kind enough to send me a complimentary Fair Price Models bracket so I tried this option as well.

The Alurailtech bracket measures 30 x 50 mm and is 60mm deep. It was easy and quick to use, 2 bolts secure the servo and 2 screws secure the micro switch lugs. The holes on the microswitch need increasing in size to 3mm which was easily done with a 3mm drill. The microswitch clips onto the 2 lugs which are adjustable so that it is operated by the servo horn. A 70mm piece of piano wire feeds through the fulcrum on the top of the bracket and attaches to the servo horn. 4 screw holes enable the bracket to be secured to the baseboard although I found 2 were more than adequate to keep it in place. Job done, when the servo was connected to the Megapoints servo controller, it worked perfectly.  

post-24755-0-64928000-1511083809_thumb.jpg

The Fair Price Models bracket is slightly smaller (40 mm square, 45 mm deep) comprises 4 parts which require gluing together. This was simple enough, I just had to let the glue set before moving on. The screws provided felt a little chunky which proved to be the case because when I attached the servo on to the bracket with the 2 screws provided with the kit the wood split. No major problem, the servo was held securely and I am sure with a finer screw it would not have split.

The microswitch mount was more difficult, the mounting point felt too narrow to allow the servo horn the range of motion it needed to change a point and I ended up fitting the bracket to the baseboard without a microswitch. The bracket was connected to the baseboard again using only 2 of 4 screw holes and the servo functioned perfectly when attached to the servo controller.

post-24755-0-56981500-1511084055_thumb.jpg

Summary

Whilst both brackets functioned well, my preference is the more expensive Alurailtech option because I consider it robust and quickest to deploy. Given my priority is certainty, the higher cost of £2.80 is a price I am prepared to pay. That said I would have no problem using the Fair Price Models bracket for points where frog switching is not required or semaphores. 

• Like 1

I found megapoint controller are great bit of kit, What I found was the signals and points worked by servo`s work perfect when the DCC power turned off,

when DCC turned on there was a problem when running trains that the servo jiggers and twitchs, caused derailments and damaged my signals.

I had to rewire all the servo's with screened cat 5e cable and this stoped all my problems I have cable runs of about 7mt long along with the DCC cables.

This shows to me that the DCC power is being induced into the signal wires of the servo's and this is the problem causing the twitch.

• Informative/Useful 1

I found megapoint controller are great bit of kit, What I found was the signals and points worked by servo`s work perfect when the DCC power turned off,

when DCC turned on there was a problem when running trains that the servo jiggers and twitchs, caused derailments and damaged my signals.

I had to rewire all the servo's with screened cat 5e cable and this stoped all my problems I have cable runs of about 7mt long along with the DCC cables.

This shows to me that the DCC power is being induced into the signal wires of the servo's and this is the problem causing the twitch.

Although I've not experienced this myself on my DCC layout, Dave does a firmware upgrade (board version 1.8f on) with a mode to alieviate this by powering down the servo after each movement.
  • Informative/Useful 1