The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Vinyl Night

David Bigcheeseplant

I run a vinyl night at a local pub, the idea is that you play 15-20 minutes to play whatever you like as long as it plays on the decks so 45 or 33 we can’t do 78s

I never got rid of my vinyl but never got too much as I tended to move to CDs as they came in, what is interesting is how passionate people get when they select what they are going to play.

I know there are quite a few similar nights out there,  but on a Monday night when we have ours pubs are normally quiet it does seem to attract people in. The pub it is held in has a collection of vinyl that can be used if those who attend don’t have any. In fact I found steam specials of the 70s in the pub vinyl cabinet!

If you had 15-20 minutes what would you choose to play?

David​

Led Zeppelin 2, Tommy (original Who version), Rumours, ELO Out of the Blue, but above all else the first track of the first Beatles' first LP with Macca shouting "one two three four one two three FOUR"-I Saw Her Standing There from Please Please Me. I cannot tell you how much that blew me away when I first heard it, nothing like anything I'd ever heard on Children's Favourites with Uncle Mac.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Where is this pub and does it sell Doombar? As for the tunes:

Chain of fools - Aretha Franklin

Mars Bars - The undertones

Jungleland - Bruce Spingsteen

Yoshimi battles the pink robots - Flaming Lips.

Wouldn't be time, but Eve of War from war of the worlds as I could play it louder than at home hopefully,

The pub is in Aylesbury and has nine real ale pumps too!

We do have a facebook page Aylesbury Vinyl Night,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/419500844901802/?ref=br_rs The group is closed to avoid spam but if you want a peek join.

We get everyone to write down what they play and the list is uploaded so people see what has been played, The tracks can go from well known to very strange.

We have used a Dansette which the pub has for a bit, but there is now one or two of us who take along the gear, we have had Technics turntables etc, but I brought a couple of Gemini turntables and a mixer a while back and tend to plug those through an amp and speakers. We are not running a disco so the sound is not blowing the pub away as we do like to be able to chat over the music but also listen to it.

There is something really quite nice about taking a record out of a sleeve, looking at the artwork and putting the needle on the track you require.

• RMweb Gold

My selection last night was Intro Outro by the Bonzo Do Da Dog Band, Bean Fields by The Penguin Café Orchestra, Sweet Jane by The Velvet Underground, Classical Gas by Mason Williams and Let it be me by The Everly Brothers.  

The first album that I bought was The Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse. Used to thoroughly enjoy the Bonzos on Do Not Adjust Your Set.

Anonymous Two by Focus.

I would probably get dragged off the stage after 20 minutes, because the track was longer than that and continued onto a second side of a double album, but that end would be very fitting.

There is something really quite nice about taking a record out of a sleeve, looking at the artwork and putting the needle on the track you require.

Seconded !!!

I have two systems in my shed which allow me to play cassettes, CDs, mini discs (but I don't own any) and vinyl.

Currently leaning against the system is the following eclectic mix of vinyl LPs

Mario Lanza's Greatest Hits.

Fine art of surfacing - Boomtown Rats.

Myths & Legends of King Arthur and the knights of the round table - Wakeman.

Journey to the centre of the earth - Wakeman

Oxygene - Jean Michel Jarre

The Morriston Orpheus Male Voice Choir

Dr. Hook - Greatest Hits.

Handel's Messiah.

Probably a reflection of my railway interests as well.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

it would have to be a 90s dance mix

as it happens on new years eve a group of us did actually DJ in a pub with vinyl for old times sake as we did in the 90s as the pub was closing down and we wanted to go out with a bang!

i did an hour and a half set that night

Guy round Wigan market sold ex juke box 45rpm records back in the late 60's for 2 bob each (10p). They had the centres punched out and he fitted a plastic centre.

I still have loads of em and occasionally play them. Dave Dee, Beatles, Who, Stones Four Tops etc. First LP I bought was Led Zep 3, the one with the revolving insert on the cover. Loads of vinyl LP's as well.

Still got all my Pioneer Amp / Technics direct drive turntable etc, with old AR2Ax speakers. All from the 70's / 80's and all work perfectly, including my 1973 Akai 1721L reel to reel tape recorder.

I'm not really into this modern mp3 / iTunes electroshyte, though I have 100 CD's on a Phillips Go Gear which I use occasionally when on a plane / train etc.

Funnily enough my mate has invited us round to his 60th birthday do - A "vinyl night" party this Saturday. Wondering what to take - David Bowie Ziggy Stardust probably, just to annoy the young uns !!!!!!!!

Brit15

I had a vinyl night last week. . . All Lennon, Plastic Ono Band, followed by Imagine, followed by Mind Games, followed by Walls and Bridges.

All played on an old Goldring Lenco deck through an Alesis mixer desk played through a Teac Micro-system.

Plastic ono band and Imagine both great albums played stuff from both in previous weeks.

When I have mentioned Vinyl night to others most have said what a great idea, If you know of a pub looking for an event for a quiet night in the week maybe this would be something to suggest, as other than the pub providing power, serving drinks and making you welcome there is not much effort on there part.  We tend to run ours every couple of weeks.

Archived