Model Rail 215 November 2015

dibber25

Hi Chris,

Firstly, I really like the idea of limed maroon :-)  Does this mean the lining takes on a green tinge with age?

Secondly, I'm really not sure about red darkening with age.  As an empirical example, some people down the road from us had a red Volkswagen Polo that started red, but over the course of several years went almost pink as it faded.  I appreciate that paint formulations have moved on considerably in the 60 years since trains were being painted crimson and/or maroon, but I'd be interested to see examples of where the a colour has got darker with age - not least because it means I've been getting my weathering wrong for some time....

Z.G.

Typing error - it should read 'LINED'. Secondly, I'm not sure I mentioned red darkening with age. Did I? If so, it would surely only darken with dirt. I, too, have had a red car that faded badly. The early 'crimson' used unlined on non-corridor stock presented an 'interesting' appearance. My holidays at St. Ives in the mid-1950s and again in 1960, enabled me as a kid to watch the trains there, which were around 4-5 non-corridors of 'Hawksworth' era. From memory the coaches varied in hue from almost bauxite brown, through pink to bright red. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Typing error - it should read 'LINED'. Secondly, I'm not sure I mentioned red darkening with age. Did I? If so, it would surely only darken with dirt. I, too, have had a red car that faded badly. The early 'crimson' used unlined on non-corridor stock presented an 'interesting' appearance. My holidays at St. Ives in the mid-1950s and again in 1960, enabled me as a kid to watch the trains there, which were around 4-5 non-corridors of 'Hawksworth' era. From memory the coaches varied in hue from almost bauxite brown, through pink to bright red. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Chris Leigh

Apologies - I was replying to ChrisF - hence the Chris-related confusion.  So it was ChrisF who got limed, although without the help of tequila, apparently...

Z.G.

• RMweb Premium

I won't be getting my copy until it hits the bookstalls on Thursday but I would like to say that I rather like the 'None Railway' items. After all most of us model railways in their entire environment, that includes not only things like airfields but anything else that comes into that environment. Few other modelling genres come into that category and then only recently with some aircraft modellers for example displaying their models in dioramas. Hopefully we will see similar articles in future devoted to other aspects outside of railways but where they interface such as ships and boats/dockyards for example. One thing I would like to see is an article on agriculture, with many agricultural machines becoming available in scales suitable for model railways it would be useful to know when and how it would be appropriate to use such items. I do recall a layout set in mid summer with ploughing, usually a winter task, taking place. Also modelling crops, not so much the producing of realistic models but as crops are seasonal modelling crops appropriate to the season such as crops that would not be grown together i.e. winter/summer crops.

I don't mind the aircraft themed issue. But I hope that such themes are only occasional and not a new theme in each issue.

I would also like to see the return of Masterclass, even on an occasional basis. Yes, a lot of the classes have been done before. But some of them were nearly twenty years ago. And some are no longer relevant because many of the manufacturers of detailing parts are no longer with us and new ones have appeared. There's nothing worse than reading an article and it says "take one part No xxx" when that part hasn't been available for years. Proper articles rather than booklets please.

Jason.

Well just had a quick glimpse of my friends subscription copy of Model Rail and they have managed to get most of the photo titles wrong of my Reely Grate and Primrose Hill so not impressed. However, I will reserve final judgement until I can get my own copy.

Recently there has been some discussion on delivery methods of subscriber copies. I MAY have stumbled across an answer for this today?

(My copy arrived as normal by Royal Mail postie at my daughter's address on Monday morning).

Whilst working outside on my car this afternoon, I became aware of a guy entering our (shared) driveway, with what appeared to be a bundle of leaflets under his arm - more junk for our letterbox was my initial thought. However as he got closer he spoke "Afternoon", and I realised the leaflets were more like A4 sized Jiffy/padded envelopes. He popped one though the letterbox of the neighbour, and I was half expecting him to bring mine over. No, he walked away and got into an old Ford Ka parked on the road - obviously his own car. BUT, I noticed the Royal Mail badge on his jacket. Not obvious at first glance. I have felt that for a while our postmen are never smartly dressed nowadays, in a proper uniform, like they used to be; just casual workwear issued to them, usually quite sloppily dressed. And shorts, even today. (Apologies to postmen reading this).

So, the bottom line is, our regular had done his quite extensive round with his trolley earlier this morning. This was a "catch-up" or 2nd delivery, probably covering more than one round, by a postman using his own vehicle (possibly on his way home). Could this explain the use of private cars for delivery to some subscribers, when RM was expected?

Stewart

The hand delivery I've been getting for MR is not RM. No badges, no jacket and no address on the package so not gone through a sorting office. It's arrives by private car with MR only to me. No other mail, they get in to the car and drive off the estate and in to the distance. It's often in the morning just a few minutes before the postie arrives.

But this time has failed to arrive so far........

G.

The hand delivery I've been getting for MR is not RM. No badges, no jacket and no address on the package so not gone through a sorting office. It's arrives by private car with MR only to me. No other mail, they get in to the car and drive off the estate and in to the distance. It's often in the morning just a few minutes before the postie arrives.

But this time has failed to arrive so far........

G.

I followed this up a couple of months back in response to a query by Stationmaster. Apparently, it has been a short-term test operation involving a limited number of subscribers to Bauer magazines and is a non-Royal Mail delivery. It is being assessed to see if it is better than regular mail. It's a company-wide trial and not something that Model Rail staff can have any influence over. 

CHRIS LEIGH

If its short term, how much longer can we expect it to go on for?

I've been getting the trial delivery service since at least the start of the year. The latest issue turned up this morning. It seems like days since others got theirs.

G.

• RMweb Premium

What bugs me is that I subscribe via digital download. If people can have their in print 3-4 days before the official publication date, why can't the digital downloaded? Seems like we are penalised for digital choices.

I've had a chance to skim through the mag now and must admit there is quite a bit of non-railway and even more non-modelling content.

It's verging on almost too much but what is most depressing for me is the lack of N gauge modelling - just a little news from TINGS (held over a month ago). I didn't even notice mention that there is a 1:144 scale model of the Dragon Rapide DH89a aircraft including RAS transfers from Aeroclub (it was reviewed in NGS Journal 1/15 with contact details etc.) in the 'modelling the RAS' section.

Anyway, fingers crossed that I enjoying reading it in depth, although the subjects don't all tickle my fancy and there's nothing in N.

G.

• RMweb Gold

If its short term, how much longer can we expect it to go on for?

I've been getting the trial delivery service since at least the start of the year. The latest issue turned up this morning. It seems like days since others got theirs.

G.

Mine also arrived today which suggests there might be a pattern perhaps.  However what is noticeable is that delivery by this method is consistently  later than the magazine arriving via Royal Mail delivery - sometimes in my case as much as a week later.

I fully appreciate this is not the end of the earth and that life does not revolve around magazine delivery dates but the apparent decline in service level associated with this method of delivery is not somethingI (and other subscribers) have paid for.  I'm not knocking Chris - who very kindly took the trouble to investigate what was going on - but if this is an 'experiment' I would hope that Bayer Media would be keen to receive customer feedback but, as yet, there is nothing to suggest that is the case.  If Chris has an opportunity it would be helpful if he could supply a name and address of someone at the company on whom I can more appropriately vent my spleen - thanks.

In the meanwhile, and far more relevant to this thread, I've had a preliminary scan through the issue which is fascinatingly different.  And well done someone for correctly identifying the headlamp code at that date on the S160.

I enjoyed this month's issue, particularly Bee Lane and "How To Model A Modern Main Line".

OK, the aeroplane pages didn't interest me at all, but the railway articles made up up for it.

As long as the "other transport" articles don't come up too often, then I'll certainly stick with Model Rail as I have done since issue No.1.  I wouldn't buy a generic modelling magazine which tried to cover a lot of other things.

Oh, and sorry to mention it again, but the big thing that let's Model Rail down as far as I'm concerned is the paper quality - it's getting more thin and wavy all the time.  I'd prefer to pay another few bob for nice glossy pages like the other publishers railway modelling monthlies.  The good editorial content deserves better.  And I don't accept the argument about Buaer buying in bulk for all their magazines.  If they are buying such huge quantities they should get better quality for their money.

I enjoyed this month's issue, particularly Bee Lane and "How To Model A Modern Main Line".

OK, the aeroplane pages didn't interest me at all, but the railway articles made up up for it.

As long as the "other transport" articles don't come up too often, then I'll certainly stick with Model Rail as I have done since issue No.1.  I wouldn't buy a generic modelling magazine which tried to cover a lot of other things.

Oh, and sorry to mention it again, but the big thing that let's Model Rail down as far as I'm concerned is the paper quality - it's getting more thin and wavy all the time.  I'd prefer to pay another few bob for nice glossy pages like the other publishers railway modelling monthlies.  The good editorial content deserves better.  And I don't accept the argument about Buaer buying in bulk for all their magazines.  If they are buying such huge quantities they should get better quality for their money.

You may not 'accept' it but it's so far removed from anything that the editorial team can influence, you might as well ask us to get the Chinese government to manufacture model trains for free.

CHRIS LEIGH

I have to admit that the paper quality is very poor and especially in comparison to competitors.

I appreciate that it's not the MR teams remit or their responsibility, but they could do something - by simply passing the message on to those responsible every time it is raised or mentioned here. At least that way the ivory towers will get to some real feedback about how people feel, and the regularity with which it irks. Just batting away such comments with a corporate policy response will never help it get changed, or the message to get through to those that can do something.

G. 

• RMweb Gold

Next month my 2FS layout kyle of Lochalsh will appear - its essentially dirty blue diesels, coaches and freight which are all N gauge rolling stock slightly tweaked to run on the Easitrac system - hope thats a nod back to some of the concerns above...

I have to admit that the paper quality is very poor and especially in comparison to competitors.

I appreciate that it's not the MR teams remit or their responsibility, but they could do something - by simply passing the message on to those responsible every time it is raised or mentioned here. At least that way the ivory towers will get to some real feedback about how people feel, and the regularity with which it irks. Just batting away such comments with a corporate policy response will never help it get changed, or the message to get through to those that can do something.

G. 

I've mentioned it a couple of times on here - also wrote an email about it to the editor some months ago.  As Chris says, it seems the editorial staff have no influence on the matter.  Which is a shame.

Chris, we like the stuff you and the rest of the team put together and I'll say it again - you deserve a better finished product.

Obviously Bauer doesn't care about the paper quality - it would probably prefer everyone to subscribe to the digital version, hence the constant push every month.  But I'm afraid I'm "old school" and won't go down that road.

I won't mention the paper quality again!  If it gets worse (surely not possible) then I'll stop buying. Simple!

(edited for typing errors)

Just trying to buy the November digital edition through Pocketmags but cannot download having spent £2.99.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Andrew

I didn't know that you could get it through PocketMags. Contacting PocketMags usually works, they are generally very helpful.

I've mentioned it a couple of times on here - also wrote an email about it to the editor some months ago.  As Chris says, it seems the editorial staff have no influence on the matter.  Which is a shame.

Chris, we like the stuff you and the rest of the team put together and I'll say it again - you deserve a better finished product.

Obviously Bauer doesn't care about the paper quality - it would probably prefer everyone to subscribe to the digital version, hence the constant push every month.  But I'm afraid I'm "old school" and won't go down that road.

I won't mention the paper quality again!  If it gets worse (surely not possible) then I'll stop buying. Simple!

(edited for typing errors)

Ironically, if we sold lots more copies we could probably make a better case for improving the paper quality. We are part of an organisation which produces dozens of titles, most of which are read and recycled. Model Rail is unusual in Bauer, in that readers tend to keep it. We do have better paper on our one-offs and 'bookazines' but they are more expensive and have shorter print runs than the magazine. If you want to see Model Rail projects, and readers' layouts on better paper, then the 'bookazines may well be of interest. We're just finishing 'How to Build a Model Railway - Volume 4' which will be published in November. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Maybe there are too many monthly model railway magazines saturating the market, therefore finding original and different subjects about railway modelling to publish each month cannot be easy as illustrated by the numerous "repeats".  Especially when the four or five competitors are facing the same problem is too much to ask.

I browsed the MR today found nothing of interest and left it on the shelf.  I was expecting a couple of articles advertised last month (No 214).

I have to admit that I find MR the least compelling of the UK mags - apart from Chris Nevard's wonderful layout photography, which was my primary reason for subscribing (digitally) in the first place, if I'm honest.

Following the aeroplane content (in which I have zero interest) I've decided to drop my sub and go back to just picking up the occasional issue of interest. I did enjoy the recent layouts bookazine, though...

Who would ever want to edit a magazine, as it seems you are probably not going to satisfy everyone. Trouble is that these days it is too easy to make negative comments online, and chances are, the other 99% of readers are very happy. Similar rule used to apply to the catering in the voluntary organisation I used to be involved in. It was always said if you were the cook, don't be worried if no-one compliments you on how good the food is, but be sure they will complain if it is bad. Getting to the pub was more important anyway.

As for the postal problem, this sounds similar to what happened with the post from a local hospital. They decided to try a difficult company to RM, but found it was taking longer to get letters for appointments delivered so had to resort to using their own drivers to deliver some letters. It appeared the problem was  caused by the non RM company, actually using RM to deliver the post. Unfortunately RM did not see this as a priority, so it was always sorted after 2nd class post. This was a few years ago, but I wonder if something similar is being done here. Sub-contracting of postal deliveries might be rife, and done different in different areas.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry I just don't get the aircraft bit, just like I didn't get the Battleship /seascape in last months edition. I do get that there will be non railway content in context , to get an overall railway scene. Here again though I don't get the aircraft thing. The reality is that airfields are usually very large installations and can't be corner fillers for a layout . You also do not get aircraft parked up against fences , which could conceivably be a corner filler, but just not correct. Really railways and aircraft don't mix, unless you are doing Gatwick airport

There are way too many model railway mags...and essentially they are all the same...at least when it comes to UK content.

The best UK model mag was Modellers Backtrack IMHO.

I subscribe to CM and think its quite a good mag TBH and Australian Model Railway Magazine (because its "my thing"). I buy Model Railroader every so often because it features some new innovations on a regular basis. Which why I applaud MR - the aircraft article was good and relevant in my view - there is life beyond the railway fence.

Archived