Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

There will be only one type of filling in ! No squadron green required....BOOM! South Yorkshire v Lancashire. 

G

I can see the headline now.

Scouser re-ignites War of the Roses.......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Painted a couple of sections, to check if the colours I've chosen look ok on the model.

Think I'm happy enough with them to carry on.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190518_155414.jpg

20190518_155541.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Grey roof and solebar stripe added, as well as Black windscreen surrounds.

Hopefully I get the gloss varnish on tomorrow, so it can fully cure while I'm away from home next week.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190524_222552.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/05/2019 at 22:55, Phil Mc said:

Grey roof and solebar stripe added, as well as Black windscreen surrounds.

Hopefully I get the gloss varnish on tomorrow, so it can fully cure while I'm away from home next week.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190524_222552.jpg

Nice work there ....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Before I was away last week I did manage to get the cab handrails painted White, the Black WIPAC lights and the Yellow kicksteps under the doors all painted, as well as the Gloss varnish applied.

So the unit is now ready for transfers adding.

Saturday involved a very enjoyable visit to the DEMU exhibition, with some great layouts on show !

While there, I picked up a pack of the Heljan Dogfish from Kernow, I've got a rake of clean(ish!) Dutch liveried ones, and fancied mixing some grubby Olive Green ones in with them.

By the time I got home, I wasn't in the mood to start on the unit, so I thought I'd see what I wanted to do to the wagons.

I've ended up-

removing the hideous plastic 'ballast' !!

adding an actual ballast load.

painting the wheels 'frame dirt'.

adding 'rust' and 'ballast' coloured streaks to the hopper shoots.

cleaning some of the factory weathering off the footsteps, handwheels and handrails.

adding grease spots to the bufferheads.

All in all, a nice little quick-win of a job, before I start stickering up the unit !!:)

Cheers,

Phil.

20190602_201558_resized.jpg

20190602_201715_resized.jpg

20190602_201803_resized.jpg

20190602_201843_resized.jpg

20190602_201932_resized.jpg

20190602_202008_resized.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice work on the wagons... but you've just reminded me that it was the DEMU exhibition this weekend, totally forgot!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

After spending enough hours yesterday to make my eyes go square, I got the Orange cantrail stripes on both vehicles, and one side of one vehicle completed with all the other decals.:blink:

Cheers,

Phil.

20190603_223247.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew liszka said:

Superb work mate I saw the livery for the first time on a class 150 at Chesterfield Monday 

I can see the Sheffield-Barnsley line from my house, the livery has started to appear pretty frequently over the past few weeks, that's what started this off !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get the rest of the decals on the unit today, and get a coat of varnish on to protect them...

...just forgot to take any pics before it went in the airing cupboard to dry !! :rolleyes:

Also tried the Dogfish in the rake of Dutch ones, the chassis stood out as being a bit too pale to blend in nicely, so a light dusting of 'frame dirt' is on the cards.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

All back together, a bit of exhaust dirt weathering on the roof (the chassis was already weathered when I started), and it's finished. :)

Cheers,

Phil.

20190609_153351_resized.jpg

20190609_153429_resized.jpg

20190609_153453_resized.jpg

20190609_153626_resized.jpg

DCC sound and ready to roll as a stand in for a 158 on the Leeds-Nottingham (once per day via Derby) service?

Nice work Phil.

Cheers,

Mick

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, newbryford said:

DCC sound and ready to roll as a stand in for a 158 on the Leeds-Nottingham (once per day via Derby) service?

Nice work Phil.

Cheers,

Mick

Tempting !!

As I was reading this, an old livery 158 & new livery 150 combo went past my house, I couldn't hear the 150.....

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1

On 02/06/2019 at 21:00, Phil Mc said:

Before I was away last week I did manage to get the cab handrails painted White, the Black WIPAC lights and the Yellow kicksteps under the doors all painted, as well as the Gloss varnish applied.

So the unit is now ready for transfers adding.

Saturday involved a very enjoyable visit to the DEMU exhibition, with some great layouts on show !

While there, I picked up a pack of the Heljan Dogfish from Kernow, I've got a rake of clean(ish!) Dutch liveried ones, and fancied mixing some grubby Olive Green ones in with them.

By the time I got home, I wasn't in the mood to start on the unit, so I thought I'd see what I wanted to do to the wagons.

I've ended up-

removing the hideous plastic 'ballast' !!

adding an actual ballast load.

painting the wheels 'frame dirt'.

adding 'rust' and 'ballast' coloured streaks to the hopper shoots.

cleaning some of the factory weathering off the footsteps, handwheels and handrails.

adding grease spots to the bufferheads.

All in all, a nice little quick-win of a job, before I start stickering up the unit !!:)

Cheers,

Phil.

20190602_201558_resized.jpg

20190602_201715_resized.jpg

20190602_201803_resized.jpg

20190602_201843_resized.jpg

20190602_201932_resized.jpg

20190602_202008_resized.jpg

Nice work on the ballast wagons 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So, after realising how many ETH fitted 47's I've done, I figured I better find something for them to haul !!

I'd been contemplating a NE-SW rake of mk2's when Hatton's sold off the Bachmann DCC fitted mk2F TSO's at a decent price, so 4 were duly acquired, along with a RMB & a BSO.

I'm not entirely sure how appropriate the MK2F's are, or whether they should really be mk2D's or E's, but I really like the look of the RMB, so wanted the others to match !

Anyway, this is the start point of the project.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190621_102741.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, newbryford said:

You could modify the RMB to 1256...........

Would need to repaint a blue/grey for that, so its got the door warning light.....

cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

I wanted the coaches in INTERCITY rather than InterCity livery, so set about changing the writing as well as the numbers.

Pic shows the Bachmann writing on the RMB, compared to the Railtec decals.

For the sake of consistency, I changed the writing and numbers on all of the rake. Had to make up 2 TSO's worth of numbers from the Railtec sheet, they're tiny numbers to work with ! :blink::blink:

Also repositioned the writing on one side of the BSO to between the doors, to match the pics I'm working from.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190621_074604.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Added the passengers.

Also 'opened' a droplight on the BSO, just to see if it made a big enough difference to the look to justify the effort !

Figured it does, so will do some more throughout the rake.

Ran a silver pen along the top edge of the glass, to portray the locking bar, it doesn't look half as rough to the eye as it does in the pic, but I will make a point of filing the rest smoother !!

Cheers,

Phil.

20190629_084300.jpg

20190629_084214.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

'Opened' about a dozen windows throughout the rake, and added a few people looking out of some.

Also, on the pics I'm working from most but not all the coaches have White handrails on the ends, so most of the rake has had them added with a White paint marker pen.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190630_224857.jpg

20190630_224959.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Started the weathering process, with a coat of matt varnish on the ends & roof areas.

'Before' & 'after', for comparison.

Cheers,

Phil.

20190701_215331 (1187x1280).jpg

20190701_215354 (845x1280).jpg

20190701_215419 (1004x1280).jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1