Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce the SR Cattle wagon

Garethp8873

It almost certainly wouldn't have components in common with anything besides other LBSCR wagons. Few (if any) wagons built by that company even conformed to RCH standards and the SR shifted most of those they retained to the Isle of Wight or the Engineer's Department to prevent them straying.

I presume that what little fish traffic the SR did handle went in utility vans. 

John

Can't comment on the vereacity of the I.W.S.R.'s wagon livery and I certainly didn't mean to imply that the 'Brighton' van had any family resemblence whatsoever with the the cattle wagon.

Though there were, of course, significant fishing ports on the Southern none could compare with the likes of Grimsby, Fleetwood, Brixham or Peterhead so a deadicated fish fleet was probably not justified : as you say, utility vans would have carried much of what traffic was available ( they all had Decolite floors so could be washed out afterwards ) but smaller consignments - whether from local ports or from Billingsgate - would have been in the guards van : perhaps NOT the one the guard was travelling in in high summer !

• 2 weeks later...

Did see today that Hornby has modified the images of the Maunsell and Bulleid Cattle wagons to their iconic side on view profile. However when I was looking at the SR Bullied version using the zoom function, I noticed that the wagon number plate seems to have six numbers rather than five...

• 2 weeks later...

Did see today that Hornby has modified the images of the Maunsell and Bulleid Cattle wagons to their iconic side on view profile. However when I was looking at the SR Bullied version using the zoom function, I noticed that the wagon number plate seems to have six numbers rather than five...

They haven't put an 'S' prefix on it have they ? .......... a handful of early B.R.-built wagons had plates with ( non-'B' ) prefixes and that might have applied to the cattle wagons in B.R. livery - but would be wrong for S.R. livery, of course.

Just noticed a small cock-up on the BR liveried Maunsell cattle wagon.

The builders plate has SR at the top, so presumably it is a representation of the plate originally fitted from new.

If this is the case only the wagon number would have been on the casting. But it seems to have the S prefix

cast in as well.

Not nit picking, it looks like a gorgeous wagon.

Also many thanks, Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed a small cock-up on the BR liveried Maunsell cattle wagon.

The builders plate has SR at the top, so presumably it is a representation of the plate originally fitted from new.

If this is the case only the wagon number would have been on the casting. But it seems to have the S prefix

cast in as well.

Not nit picking, it looks like a gorgeous wagon.

Also many thanks, Martin.

If it was SR-built it would have retained its original plate, the only difference being that the R would not normally be picked out in white. It would not have had S at the start of the number. Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

Also noticed it's now gone up to £21.99,  Had a few of these on order, but now seeing the new price, I will be cancelling my order.

The true cost of an accurately modelled cattle wagon? OK, they've gone up three quid; wouldn't it be more logical to just buy one fewer?

Or weren't you really that fussed about having what appears (from the pictures) to be a superb Southern Railway/Region model in the first place?

The kit alternative is a heavy whitemetal job and no cheaper and I, for one, won't be attempting to scratch-build a batch of these to save weight or money.

Prices have risen, fact, and, until and unless Sterling does a fairly rapid imitation of Lazarus, we ain't seen nothing yet. The prices of much more than model trains are already on the move and hard decisions will have to be taken.

I'm 64 and everything I buy costs multiples of what I remember paying in my younger days. 

I bought my first motorbike for less than the price of one of these models and the tank wasn't big enough to hold a pounds-worth of petrol. A modern equivalent would set me back about £400 and filling it up would cost more than my first week's wages. Best not to think too hard about it.

If I really want something (these wagons qualify); I'll have it, but almost everything outside my real modelling interests now gets ignored to ensure that stays possible. Impulse buying requires much stronger impulses these days! 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Here Here !

From the images of the two versions shown so far, it looks as though Hornby's SR cattle wagon is about to set

a new benchmark for RTR wagons.

If the new price is a problem and a modeller already has a rake of Bachmann / Oxford etc. cattle wagons, why not

have just one of the new Hornby wagons to make up a train with a variety of types. This would be prototypical.

especially in BR days.

Hope you already have a guards van for the end, Bachmann's are now over £30 !.

• Like 1

Here Here !

From the images of the two versions shown so far, it looks as though Hornby's SR cattle wagon is about to set

a new benchmark for RTR wagons.

If the new price is a problem and a modeller already has a rake of Bachmann / Oxford etc. cattle wagons, why not

have just one of the new Hornby wagons to make up a train with a variety of types. This would be prototypical.

especially in BR days.

Hope you already have a guards van for the end, Bachmann's are now over £30 !.

That is exactly what I will be doing (though I'll be buying 3 of them). Will make a nice cattle train.

The good news is I brought my SR pilboxs when they first came out.

That is exactly what I will be doing (though I'll be buying 3 of them). Will make a nice cattle train.

The good news is I brought my SR pilboxs when they first came out.

I'm having one of each type, in BR(S) livery. Like you I purchased a pillbox when new, the one

with the stove chimney right by the ducket !!.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk of cattle trains reminds me that something like 50% of cattle trains would be loaded with cattle ............. would some kind manufacturer please produce a range of 4mm scale ( not 3.5mm scale ) bovines in a material SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than whitemetal  -  thanks !

Why not suggest to ModelU. Our generation used Airfix cows.

They would, of course, also carry other larger livestock - horses (not good ones!), sheep etc.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Why not suggest to ModelU. Our generation used Airfix cows.

They would, of course, also carry other larger livestock - horses (not good ones!), sheep etc.

Paul

If I remember rightly, Airfix cows didn't come as a herd of cattle but as a mixed farmyard so a full cattle train would need many sets ( one per couple of wagons perhaps ) and would leave a flock of sheep and several coops-full of hens ( + sties of pigs ? ) spare ............ and they were moulded in in a horrible 'soapy' plastic ( polythene ? ) which wouldn't take paint nicely - OK if you want a herd of White Parks perhaps !!?!

A bit much for small scale but we could also use micro sound cube equipped cattle wagons for "the cattle are lowing" effect around the Christmas tree.

I wholeheartedly agree that the 4 mm world needs additional model cattle to fill the wagons and stock pens that these wonderful new cattle wagons will engender.  The new Oxford NE wagons could use them too....  

Come on Hornby, where's the beef....and mutton.

A bit much for small scale but we could also use micro sound cube equipped cattle wagons for "the cattle are lowing" effect around the Christmas tree.

I wholeheartedly agree that the 4 mm world needs additional model cattle to fill the wagons and stock pens that these wonderful new cattle wagons will engender.  The new Oxford NE wagons could use them too....  

Come on Hornby, where's the beef....and mutton.

Don't forget the Oxford cattle would have to be identical on both sides .......... and I guess the udder would be missing !!?!