Hornby announce the SR Cattle wagon

Garethp8873

Has anyone got a link to a SR van as seen in service please.

There is a picture of one on page 70 of the Hornby 2016 handbook. This is Maunsell s53629 taken by Mike King. It looks like it is in Southern livery but there are no SR letters on the side. On the end numbers 53629 has got the prefix 's' so it looks like British Railways changed it just after nationalisation. Another version for Hornby to produce.

post-17621-0-56129400-1480581979_thumb.jpg

The curb rail of the SR liveried Bulleid truck sems to be BR bauxite while that on the BR liveried Maunsell one appears to be in SR brown!

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• RMweb Gold

The curb rail of the SR liveried Bulleid truck sems to be BR bauxite while that on the BR liveried Maunsell one appears to be in SR brown!

Chris Knowles-Thomas

On the BR version in the photo, the curb rail is in shadow but, oddly, it is darker than that on the SR wagon; I don't think either is as dark as the SR body colour though. 

The curb rail is represented on the models by the edge of the floor casting. I have SR and BR vans and the casting on both has a rather glossy finish so needs repainting anyway.

This is easier with the wagon dismantled - see my Post #190 for how to do so.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

On the BR version in the photo, the curb rail is in shadow but, oddly, it is darker than that on the SR wagon; I don't think either is as dark as the SR body colour though. 

The curb rail is represented on the models by the edge of the floor casting. I have SR and BR vans and the casting on both has a rather glossy finish so needs repainting anyway.

This is easier with the wagon dismantled - see my Post #190 for how to do so.

John

Indeed the use of the light brown colour floor, or perhaps they are trying represent varnished wood on the SR livery version? is a little odd, but I can confirm that the BR version is not darker it's a trick of the light see below.

post-243-0-11799200-1480689725_thumb.jpg

I too will be touching these up on the SR version, but the BR version will be repainted to back date to SR anyway.

• Like 2

Ok, the SR is foreign to me, but IA at Waterloo have both in stock. To me, the bodies look the same - or is it just me?

Stewart

Completely different builds stewart. The sides are pretty much the same as each other bar a few differences, but their ends are what seperate them. The BR versions are SR Maunsell 1529 which have planked ends and the SR liveried models are SR/BR Bulleid 1530 which were built with plywood ends.

Edited by Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

Stewart

Although at first glance the side might look the same the Bulleid version has non planked plywood ends, totally different brake gear, wheels and aluminium roofs the full detail differences are explained on my blog post here https://grahammuz.com/2016/12/02/sr-diagram-1529-and-1530-cattle-trucks-arrive-from-Hornby-as-part-of-their-2016-range/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, I just wondered if it was a generic fictional design, or if it was supposed to represent a specific diagram.

Edit: just realised looking at that site it was the SR sheep wagon I was on about

The old Tri-ang cattle wagon was based on an LMS design but stretched to fit their existing chassis.

Decades later Mainline, then Bachmann made it underlength to fit their existing chassis.

Any bets on somebody doing it right one day?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I repainted my Tri-ang cattle wagons SR brown. You could repaint yours after dismantling it. To gain confidence you could try repainting some old Tri-ang wagons first which you can buy for about £3 each and get some transfers.

Thanks for the advice, I'm really not confident at painting...

post-7355-0-33608400-1364412701.jpg

:jester:

• Like 3

The old Tri-ang cattle wagon was based on an LMS design but stretched to fit their existing chassis.

Decades later Mainline, then Bachmann made it underlength to fit their existing chassis.

Any bets on somebody doing it right one day?

John

Hopefully if an LMS version is looked at, personally I hope that they look at the D1840 or D1944 builds instead. I highly doubt Bachmann will ever get rid of their 'attempt' of the LMS Cattle wagon... :(

Edited by Garethp8873

Hopefully if an LMS version is looked at, personally I hope that they look at the D1840 or D1944 builds instead. I highly doubt Bachmann will ever get rid of their 'attempt' of the LMS Cattle wagon... :(

It was not Bachmann's attempt, but a model inherited from Mainline many years ago.

Now that Bachmann have the excellent GW/ BR standard model in their range, perhaps

it is now time for that one to go in the bin.

Although I still have one to give a cattle train a little more variety.

• Like 1