Hornby announce the SR Cattle wagon

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

I overslept this morning due to brain fade whilst setting the alarm clock for 04.30 to go to Warley - 14.30 wouldn't have been any good at all. :triniti:

Woken by Postie delivering my Cattle wagon so I guess it was just not meant to happen. What a stunning model.

I spent a leisurely couple of hours after lunch removing the NEM pockets and mounts, then fitting a pair of #146 Kadees.

What looked brilliant to begin with now looks even better with plenty of daylight under the ends.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I only saw one trader ar Warley with the Hornby SR cattle wagon on sale.

But when I got home, the postman had delivered my two BR(S) ones. What a wagon !.

In my opinion it's the best RTR wagon ever produced by anyone.

Even the incorrect builders plate is totally forgiven. I will be in for a pair of Bulleid ones

when they reverse the liveries.

Thank goodness this wagon was produced post ' design clever '.

I only saw one trader ar Warley with the Hornby SR cattle wagon on sale.

But when I got home, the postman had delivered my two BR(S) ones. What a wagon !.

In my opinion it's the best RTR wagon ever produced by anyone.

Even the incorrect builders plate is totally forgiven. I will be in for a pair of Bulleid ones

when they reverse the liveries.

Thank goodness this wagon was produced post ' design clever '.

I saw Hereford Models and Sherwood Models had both versions in stock. I also congratulated one of the members of Hornby staff today at Warley as I felt they needed to hear it. I myself, am still pretty much stunned by the absolute superb job Hornby have done. Until these were announced last year there was no wagon on the RTR market that made me think 'As soon as they arrive, I want them regardless of price'. The wait and the huffing and the drool at seeing the photos was well worth it...!!

I do agree there is something about these models that makes them stand out from any other RTR wagons I've purchased in previous years. Even placing them between their kitbuilt GWR and LMS cousins made me feel like I've now got a complete rake of cattle wagons (LNER I do have as well but they're OR and await repainting following refurbishment). Hornby producing both versions pleased me as well as before now no SR Bulleid Cattle wagon was on the market in any form.

Well done Hornby, you have made an excellent addition to the Grouping/BR RTR wagon fleet!! Keep on going!! :)

• RMweb Gold

I got one in BR livery [possibly the one] from Hereford Model Centre at opening time yesterday.  It looks to be good enough to warrant a little gilding of the lily.

Chris

Thanks to your info Chris ,I got their last SR version.Here's the underframe detail.

post-126-0-70298200-1480344772_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A 3/4 view of a Hornby Bulleid Southern cattle wagon. I wonder if the Southern Railway put the number at the end so it would not get obscured by the muck on the side of the wagon. The side of the floor seems to be in a bright brown shade. I wonder how long it would stay like that.

post-17621-0-20522800-1480348275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 1

A 3/4 view of a Hornby Bulleid Southern cattle wagon. I wonder if the Southern Railway put the number at the end so it would not get obscured by the muck on the side of the wagon. The side of the floor seems to be in a bright brown shade. I wonder how long it would stay like that.

Perfectly correct about the end number - most (?) of the railways put it there ................. as for the nice varnished wood floor ! ......... well Hornby don't really seem to have got the hang of wood, have they ? ( cf 2HAL shoebeams ) : can't complain the rest is great !

• RMweb Gold

Perfectly correct about the end number - most (?) of the railways put it there ................. as for the nice varnished wood floor ! ......... well Hornby don't really seem to have got the hang of wood, have they ? ( cf 2HAL shoebeams ) : can't complain the rest is great !

Unless you've had one of these apart, you may not have noticed that the floor is a rather nice metal casting - but, yes, it does require toning down a bit....

John

Unless you've had one of these apart, you may not have noticed that the floor is a rather nice metal casting - but, yes, it does require toning down a bit....

John

I think I cottoned on to the cast floor when the unpainted samples appeared on the interweb ............ incidentally my favourite starting point for an old faded wood colour is Diesel Roof Grey of all things - then toned down with coal dust, brake dust or cow sh .... er - dung as appropriate !

I think I cottoned on to the cast floor when the unpainted samples appeared on the interweb ............ incidentally my favourite starting point for an old faded wood colour is Diesel Roof Grey of all things - then toned down with coal dust, brake dust or cow sh .... er - dung as appropriate 

It may be a little premature but has anybody dismantled their wagon yet to repaint the floor casting.  My order for an SR pair has not finished it's journey cross the troubled waters and lands to California.

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

It may be a little premature but has anybody dismantled their wagon yet to repaint the floor casting.  My order for an SR pair has not finished it's journey cross the troubled waters and lands to California.

They come apart quite easily:

1. Remove the wheelsets. This is because you need to gently push the outer brake assemblies inward to be able to.

2. Remove the coupler screws and NEM pocket units.

3. Insert thumbnail behind drop flap on one side and gently ease outward to release the ridges that engage in the chassis moulding which can now be tilted and removed.

4. With the chassis out of the way, the floor just unclips from the body.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

.............. and don't forget that you can use the chassis under the Southern's processed cattle van ........ er, sorry - Meat Van too !

Here's hoping that they will do...!!

From what I recall, only the GWR and SR did the practice of putting the running number on the ends of their cattle wagons. The GWR though stopped doing this practice by the time the post-36 lettering was being applied.

As for the LMS and LNER, before 1936 the running number was put on the first or second top plank of the cattle wagon most of the time and in post-36 on the bottom left along with the company and tonnage of the vehicle. The ends of LNER examples would've only had the V.B lettering (vacuum braked) on them and were the only one of the four companies to do this on their cattle wagons.

Garethp8873.

Here's hoping that they will do...!!

From what I recall, only the GWR and SR did the practice of putting the running number on the ends of their cattle wagons. The GWR though stopped doing this practice by the time the post-36 lettering was being applied.

As for the LMS and LNER, before 1936 the running number was put on the first or second top plank of the cattle wagon most of the time and in post-36 on the bottom left along with the company and tonnage of the vehicle. The ends of LNER examples would've only had the V.B lettering (vacuum braked) on them and were the only one of the four companies to do this on their cattle wagons.

Garethp8873.

You may well be right about the other Companies ( I did put a question mark against 'most' ! ) and I'll certainly not claim to be an expert on everything pre-Grouping ! ( or post- for that matter ) ......... the Western's dropping of end numbers was partly, at least, because of the cessation of limewashing cattle wagon interiors - and consequent splashing of the sides .................. they still got splashed with the brown stuff, though !

Some model cows entering two Hornby 0 gauge cattle wagons at Harman's Cross station  on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's 0 gauge layout at the first floor of the stables at Godlingston Manor, Swanage.

The 0 gauge cattle wagons are not as authentic as the Hornby 00 gauge southern cattle wagons but there is more play value than Hornby's latest offerings.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Some                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

post-17621-0-31700400-1480431034_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some model cows entering two Hornby 0 gauge cattle wagons at Harman's Cross station  on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's 0 gauge layout at the first floor of the stables at Godlingston Manor, Swanage.

The 0 gauge cattle wagons are not as authentic as the Hornby 00 gauge southern cattle wagons but there is more play value than Hornby's latest offerings.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Some                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Holy Cow BATMAN  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by toboldlygo

Found a picture in Mike King's Wagons of the Southern of a Bullied version. Picture caption dates it in 1960. It is still in original livery with the 'R' of the small SR on the side blotched out. Caption says vehicle withdrawn 1963.

I could not wait for BR liveried Bullied versions so bought a couple of the Bullied (Dia 1530) at Alton Models this afternoon with a view to repainting. I probably will not bother having seen this picture. Quite a few of these SR Cattle wagons probably went to the scrapyard with original livery somewhere underneath all the muck and lime wash. Just need need to adjust the numbering and lettering.

Excellent product. Well done Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

Found a picture in Mike King's Wagons of the Southern of a Bullied version. Picture caption dates it in 1960. It is still in original livery with the 'R' of the small SR on the side blotched out. Caption says vehicle withdrawn 1963.

I could not wait for BR liveried Bullied versions so bought a couple of the Bullied (Dia 1530) at Alton Models this afternoon with a view to repainting. I probably will not bother having seen this picture. Quite a few of these SR Cattle wagons probably went to the scrapyard with original livery somewhere underneath all the muck and lime wash. Just need need to adjust the numbering and lettering.

Lime wash was banned before the Maunsell wagons were built let alone the Bulleid ones.

Mike King says something along the lines of "some of the Bulleid cattle wagons entered service without vacuum cylinders fitted" ............... can't say I've found a single picture of one that's not just through-piped ( The cylinder close-up in Mike's book could be one such - or it could be one of the B.R. built batch ! ) : anyone any wiser than me ?

[ Just twigged : Bulleid was an ex-LNER man - maybe he copied the idea of omitting vac cylinders from the cattle wagons they got from Oxford ? ]

Edited by Wickham Green